We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Best Material for washes? removing excess sodium carb from a fumarate conv Options

Shizballs
#1 Posted : 9/10/2020 6:12:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sup everybody, my friend completed a fumarate to freebase conversion.

He used 1 gram of fumarate and a bunch of sodium carbonate. He says the product he got is ~4-5 grams but smells like dmt. I told him he should wash it with cold water(or could it be warm?) to wash out some of the sodium carbonate. Let me know if there's anything you would add, or some other way to extract. I remember someone mentioning possibly using acetone.

Also, he is using some weird coffee filter paper which seems it would be easy for a lot of product to get lost in the papery material, is there anything you guys would recommend to use instead? Better luck with cheesecloth or something like that?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jozeh
#2 Posted : 9/10/2020 8:08:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Double posting and bumping show a clear lack of patience in the work and also of other people, who you are asking to help you. "We don't do that here" hold tight Chad.

Posting this for further info: - https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=95026

You cant use water to wash out the sodium carbonate as DMT FB is an oil and will make a mess in your filter as you have already found out.

You can wash this 4-5gs in Naptha, decant it and freeze precipitate the DMT freebase for clean up.

Shizballs
#3 Posted : 9/11/2020 8:19:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Jozeh wrote:
Double posting and bumping show a clear lack of patience in the work and also of other people, who you are asking to help you. "We don't do that here" hold tight Chad.

Posting this for further info: - https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=95026

You cant use water to wash out the sodium carbonate as DMT FB is an oil and will make a mess in your filter as you have already found out.

You can wash this 4-5gs in Naptha, decant it and freeze precipitate the DMT freebase for clean up.

You are right, I should be more patient. My apologies

Curious how that works though. Naphtha is a mixture of hydrocarbons which are non-polar. So how does the sodium carbonate solubilize?

Elrik
#4 Posted : 9/11/2020 8:59:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Joze was suggesting you use warm 'odorless' naththa [light or medium hydrotreated petroleum] to dissolve the DMT out of the mix, and then freeze crystallize most of the DMT from the naphtha. Warm heptane works too.
If you would be satisfied with goo you could use 95% ethanol [without bittering agent] or 91+% isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the DMT, then filter and evaporate the alcohol. Acetone technically would also work but its better to keep ketones and aldehydes away from non-synthetic DMT.
If you're worried that all that sodium carbonate could act as a sponge, holding on to DMT, after doing a few alcohol washes of it you can add just enough warm water to make the carbonate dissolve with lots of stirring, then mix in an equal volume of alcohol and dissolve in pinches of rock salt until no more will dissolve. The alcohol containing most of any residual DMT will float to the top. This is where a small separatory funnel or a pipette with a syringe hooked to the top comes in very handy.

I use 91% isopropanol to make goo and then just make it into putty with powdered smokable leaf and load balls of hallucinogenic play-doh into my DMT pipe.

Jozeh
#5 Posted : 9/12/2020 12:46:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Checking out some teks might be of use. I was suggesting something like the below.

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...ng_the_Non-Polar_Solvent

Elriks suggestions certainly would be quicker.

Take some time to understand the limits of your equipment and techniques. Attempt with a portion of the 4-5gs first! If it goes wrong its not the whole thing. Secondly do not throw anything away. It can almost always be recovered.

Shizballs
#6 Posted : 9/12/2020 10:21:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Elrik wrote:
Joze was suggesting you use warm 'odorless' naththa [light or medium hydrotreated petroleum] to dissolve the DMT out of the mix, and then freeze crystallize most of the DMT from the naphtha. Warm heptane works too.
If you would be satisfied with goo you could use 95% ethanol [without bittering agent] or 91+% isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the DMT, then filter and evaporate the alcohol. Acetone technically would also work but its better to keep ketones and aldehydes away from non-synthetic DMT.
If you're worried that all that sodium carbonate could act as a sponge, holding on to DMT, after doing a few alcohol washes of it you can add just enough warm water to make the carbonate dissolve with lots of stirring, then mix in an equal volume of alcohol and dissolve in pinches of rock salt until no more will dissolve. The alcohol containing most of any residual DMT will float to the top. This is where a small separatory funnel or a pipette with a syringe hooked to the top comes in very handy.

I use 91% isopropanol to make goo and then just make it into putty with powdered smokable leaf and load balls of hallucinogenic play-doh into my DMT pipe.

ok so if im understanding this correctly, the DMT will solubilize to the naphtha (or heptane) but the sodium carbonate will not? then you can precipitate the DMT be cooling the mix after separating it from the sodium carbonate solids?

Shizballs
#7 Posted : 9/12/2020 10:34:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

well huge thanks to both of you

I will tell them to give some of these a shot.

what they ended up doing so far was washing a couple 1/5th portions with cold water and decanting. the water removed was held onto for later addition of more sodium carbonate to make sure all of the DMT has been extracted.

about equal portions of around 0.9-1.0g of the impure product were used for each:

first set was done with warm distilled water (yield 0.063g, 7% original weight)

the second with cold (they messed up and heated the beaker with a torch, which seemed to immediately reverse the reaction as some of the solids disappeared, yield 0.168g, 16% original weight)

the third set was done with cold distilled water, with no heating at all (yield 0.237g, 26% original weight)

my original question in the previous thread about bond dissociation energies was to determine if the process is exorgonic or endorgonic. depending on which the reaction is, the temperature could very well determine equilibrium with cold conditions inducing the forward reaction (dmt freebase) and warm conditions inducing the reverse (back to dmt fumurate). it would appear from these results with varying exposure to heat during washing with water that this would be true, with the coldest conditions producing the greatest percent yields.

but some variation can also be expected from differences in purity as there were spots on the material which were mostly white or a slight orange hue. a second wash with cold water might be necessary to see if there is still sodium carbonate present in the more refined product obtained from the cold water washes