We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Guys... shpongle? wtf Options

Bancopuma
#21 Posted : 9/7/2020 10:53:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ha interesting as some of Shpongle's stuff is the only music I can tolerate on DMT, or the only music I find that synergises with that state. I don't like their later stuff as much though, and prefer their first two albums "Are You Shpongled?" (one of my all-time fave albums actually) and "Tales of the Inexpressible". Wonderful tripping music in my own experience, a view very much shared by a number of friends and co-trippers.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

HolySmoke
#22 Posted : 9/7/2020 11:31:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Several years ago, before I had tried any psychs with the exception of one shroom trip, I finally had obtained acid. 25 tabs in a nice 5x5 square. The print was named Shpongle, and I had no idea what that meant. Googled it and found some very weird music. Decided I would try to listen to it while tripping. That worked, could hear a depth in it and differentiate all the different instruments in a way I was not able to while sober.

Eating those tabs over a period of a few months while exploring Shpongle and related music like Ott was a very nice period Smile

An acid honeymoon, with pineforests and Shpongle as regular companions.
Intensity increases exponentially until you reach the I of the storm.

grollum
#23 Posted : 9/7/2020 3:04:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I listened to shpongle when I started tripping years ago. It was awesome and a good tripping companion. I also loved the hallucinogen albums.

I listened to shpongle from time to time over the years and it lost the magic but was still hearable.
This year I showed it to a friend and he absolutely didn't get the magic in it. I tried to listen to it again after his reaction and had to realize that it had completely lost its effect on me as well. It was horrible. I could not listen to it anymore Smile

Praxis.
#24 Posted : 9/8/2020 12:08:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was first introduced to Shpongle years ago by a friend while smoking DMT, at the time I didn't know music like that existed but it was a great experience and I've had a lot of fond memories smoking DMT and listening to Shpongle with friends since then. Nowadays it doesn't really do it for me though. I get the sense that a lot of psychedelic electronic music has modeled itself after them, at least since the early 2010's, and now it all sounds a bit generic to me.

I saw Shpongle live in either 2013 or 2014 and it was probably one of the less memorable shows I've been to. It was just Simon I believe and he didn't do much performing, he just pressed play and let the music go. Although the venue was really small and definitely not ideal for an act like Shpongle, to be fair. The lightshow was pretty neat and the crowd was perfect for people-watching Laughing

As far as electronic music for tripping I still enjoy Carbon Based Life Forms, Solar Fields, Boards of Canada and that sort of thing. Different vibe but Kaytranada can be great on something like LSD. I enjoy exploring all kinds of different genres on psychedelics these days, different substances seem to be more well-suited for various kinds of music. For example I've only taken mescaline a handful of times but I always end up listening to classical. Classical music has the layers and levels of complexity/mathematical precision that goes well with any psychedelic, but also a certain depth and warmth that pairs well with mescaline.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

SynKyd
#25 Posted : 9/8/2020 3:21:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The live shows with full band are amazing, the Simon dj sets are pretty underwhelming unless you just love the music and the people who do.

Shpongle is the sound behind the veil for me, love everything Simon does and truly try to support his efforts he is a very chill guy it seems and is making music purely from his heart I believe.Love
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

Orion
#26 Posted : 9/9/2020 12:20:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shpongle does have that hyperspacey sound. But when I first used to smoalk DMT I would listen to a lot of shpongle, so I probably created that connection or at least strengthened it. I also liked Ott and Aes Dana for vaping. I'd say Aes Dana is the least 'pushy'.

Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Exitwound
#27 Posted : 9/9/2020 7:10:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't say that I am a big fan of Shpongle while sober, though D.M.T. and it's remixes are on my playlist from time to time, but it always was a good DMT trip guiding music for me. Never had a bad trip on Shpongle.

I remember somebody told me here before "nothing scares demons away better than Shpongle", you can take that with any underlying meaning Pleased

Bancopuma
#28 Posted : 9/9/2020 12:54:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Music appreciation is obviously highly subjective, depending on the individual, and may change with time. This is one of my favourite Shpongle songs from my favourite Shpongle album (their first). I think the melding of the flute and electronic beats is pretty delectable (best appreciated on a good sound system). Apparently Simon Porsford and Raja Ram witnessed a solar eclipse in India together, and they wanted to try and put that experience into musical form, resulting in this song, and the formation of Shpongle. I like this kind of music for tripping as I feel music with recognisable lyrics tends to push your mind in a certain direction, or dredges up past associations...this kind of music leaves the mind more un-tethered to explore where it may (part of the reason that music with lyrics is exluded from modern therapeutic psychedelic session playlists). This song and the album it is a part of has been a facet of some deep and special experiences over the years. Nighttime, mushrooms, candlelight, incense etc. Good times.

Jees
#29 Posted : 9/9/2020 1:54:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
...I'd say Aes Dana is the least 'pushy'...
Thanks for that link, love this kind, it's not oldy wooly, love the whole album btw! Love
Can use fine links as I was living in a musical vacuum for most of life but catching up now.
A link from my recent preferences: Alex banks (album Illuminate): Initiate & Phosphorus (great recording btw, good sound engineering, when you have a good rig it shows) Phosphorus might be a bit pushy for vaping but the track simply gets to me every time Big grin

So far my solo sessions have been pretty silent except for group sessions with life music a la jungle icaros.

Bancopuma wrote:
...This is one of my favourite Shpongle songs from my favourite Shpongle album (their first). ..
Good one, thanks.

universecannon
#30 Posted : 9/10/2020 1:01:54 PM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Shpongle is great. Their live show at red rocks was amazing.

Dave Tipper though is the most mind blowing producer and live performer I've ever seen and my preferred tripping music if I had to pick one artist. His live sets are almost entirely unreleased music and his event team is always raising the bar

My fiance is walking down the aisle to virga

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

acacian
#31 Posted : 9/11/2020 6:19:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^ Yeah it don't get much better than Tipper in the world of psychedelic dance music imo cos he doesn't box himself into anything .. he continues to explore music in an untethered way after all these years, where other producers have sorta sold out a bit with their sound.. a lot of my old favourite psychedelic trance artists for example I just got bored of cos they stuck to that style and found a formula/sound palette that they know people like.

Tipper is an example of a true sonic philosopher who will always continue to explore music in a humble manner.. what people want to hear seems to bear little on him and he keeps just doing his thing. To me he stands up there with the likes of Boards of Canada and Aphex twin in what he has contributed to music..

re: Shpongle I used to love smoking DMT to Crystal Skulls (western rebels rmx) it went beautifully with the vibe of hyperspace. These days I prefer silence with DMT.. LSD is the one that really needs music for me.. I personally feel like LSD is the best pscyhedelic for music, but I do also enjoy music greatly on other psychedelics. In fact I also probably find visual art the most mind bending on LSD too.. mushrooms feel like more of a communion and just make everything look perfect as it is.. which is of course awesome!

DoingKermit
#32 Posted : 9/11/2020 8:27:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"Are You Shpongled?" album is my favourite by far. Still to this day I think it's an absolute masterpiece. I have had some wild times listening to "And the Day Turned into Night" on various substances. The time signatures in that tune are incredible. Nothing Lasts is also really wonderful. So happy to have seen them live.

For DMT though, I feel like most music with a beat is a bit much. I used to journey with Carbon Based Life Forms a lot. The Twenty Three album specifically synergises really well.

PREV12