We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Guys... shpongle? wtf Options

bismillah
#1 Posted : 9/4/2020 1:28:16 PM

My Personalized Tag

I was listening to psychedelic rock the other day and I remembered that everyone seems to suggest Shpongle for tripping and decided to have a listen. Now, I was sober, so maybe that ruined the magic, but... If someone put that on while I was tripping, I would have an honest to god panic attack. What the f***

Then again, I'm just really emotionally sensitive to music. Pretty much anything I put on during a trip makes me uncomfortable somehow. Do you guys listen to music whilst you trip? What do you like?
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

HolySmoke
#2 Posted : 9/4/2020 1:41:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For curiosity's sake, which exact Sphongle album/song did you try out? Very happy

When on acid, almost anything sounds godly to me. Shpongle-type music, stoner rock, psych rock, prog rock, etc.

Edit: Also, isn't this topic better suited to another part of the forum? Not specifically DMT-related
Intensity increases exponentially until you reach the I of the storm.

bismillah
#3 Posted : 9/4/2020 1:46:07 PM

My Personalized Tag

I remember one of the titles was "Ineffable Mysteries". I listened to a couple others from that series as well. It was really overbearing and surreal.

I just stuck in this area without a second thought because I've only ever done DMT. Embarrased
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

Metta-Morpheus
#4 Posted : 9/4/2020 2:04:10 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

A New Way To Say Hooray is a good one for tripping, by Shpongle. Mckennas voice is all tripped out in the song.

I can relate tho Bis. Some of their stuff was just to many sounds at once for tripping. I personally like several varieties of electronic while tripping. Some heavy stuff, some ethnic groove tracks, some slow tempo trip-tronic. It’s all gravy to me. Some of my go tos are Clozee, Tipper, Just A Gent, Space Jesus, just to name a few. Also, putting in a playlist based off my saved songs is always fun. Found a lot of cool tunes while tripping that way. (Also found some that I saved while tripping, then listened the next day sober, and was like, why the hell did I save those?)
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Wolfnippletip
#5 Posted : 9/4/2020 4:07:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mescaline or LSD + Reggae/Dub = Pure Awesome

I've prefer new (to me) music when I trip LSD or Cactus, and try to fire up music from a genre I've only been mildly interested in before. Familiar music just doesn't connect me with that sense of wonder while tripping. On the other hand familiar music can be a good anchor to hang onto while riding out a difficult experience.

Also I am very careful what I have playing while vaping DMT. All it takes is a minor chord or two to get twisted up into something which sounds threatening.

I got lucky the first time I drank cactus tea, after being totally sober for 10 years, youtubed "Psychedelic" and pulled up Shpongle's first album. That was glorious. Nowadays Shpongle is old hat to me but at the time it was a revelation.
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Tony6Strings
#6 Posted : 9/4/2020 4:13:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't care much for the new school of psychedelic music. Give me some Jimi Hendrix Experience. Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd. Beatles. The Band. Led Zeppelin. Stuff like that. Also I love to hear bebop horn improv while tripping, it is beautiful, there's nothing like hearing Charlie Parker blow his incredible top while enjoying a head full of acid. Savoy/Dial recordings a must.

I did listen to a "Best of Tipper" compilation on YouTube which I enjoyed, and am thinking about putting it on the next time I eat some rainbow geltab.

I've tried music with vaped dmt, varying results. Acid and mushrooms are my go to substances (cannabis goes without saying) for enjoying/enhancing music.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

bismillah
#7 Posted : 9/4/2020 4:25:51 PM

My Personalized Tag

Yep, LOVE Pink Floyd. My favourite of all time. People think I'm weird because I'm technically a classical musician (or supposed to be). Never tried listening to it on dmt.

monomind
#8 Posted : 9/4/2020 4:37:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bismillah wrote:
I was listening to psychedelic rock the other day and I remembered that everyone seems to suggest Shpongle for tripping and decided to have a listen. Now, I was sober, so maybe that ruined the magic, but... If someone put that on while I was tripping, I would have an honest to god panic attack. What the f***

Then again, I'm just really emotionally sensitive to music. Pretty much anything I put on during a trip makes me uncomfortable somehow. Do you guys listen to music whilst you trip? What do you like?

You've just been sphongled my friend Twisted Evil Big grin
They are amazing ( for almost 30 years now )

P.s.
Check out also the latest album by their main guy:
https://open.spotify.com...i=Ws6BhctqT9CJDyCZ2fGDpg

Edit:
i think Shpongle would be a bit much to listen to while tripping though. i personally need something much softer and sublime. Indian Ragas on changa ... this is something else!

Elrik
#9 Posted : 9/4/2020 6:25:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like psychedelic music when sober. When tripping I just dose high enough that its redundant Wink
I listen to gentle female fronted symphonic metal turned down very low while tripping. Well, while waiting for it to kick in I might watch something like the Heilung - Lifa concert, but when anywhere near a peak I'm dosed high enough I can only handle laying in the dark with gentle music.
When well down on the down side I may relax with more nativistic music, like Munknörr or Kati Ran.

Symphonic metal bands to investigate include Within Temptation, Beyond the Black, Delain, Nemesea, and if the backup singer isn't too much, Sirenia.

Scream out and destroy what they want you to be.

Icyseeker
#10 Posted : 9/4/2020 7:18:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can see Shpongle being kind of overstimulating on LSD or Mushrooms but on DMT (in my limited experience) Music barely even factered in the trip. Despite being surrounded by music during my blast off. I personally like complex music during the peak of my trip. It feels that my mind is so stimulated that it needs something like Shpongle or 1200 micrograms to contemplate. But during the comedown I will probably be listening to lofi.
May wisdom permeate through your life.

"What is survival if you do not survive whole. Ask the Bene Teilax that. What if you no longer hear the music of life. Memories are not enough unless they call you to noble purpose." God Emperor Leto ii

"The only past which endures lies wordlessly within you." God Emperor Leto ii

null24
#11 Posted : 9/4/2020 11:13:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Your post reminds me of a time a friend and I were tripping really hard on some exceptionally nice LSD, and after spending the evening peacefully hanging out on a couch we hauled up into a big apple tree, came inside to listen to music. We rummaged through his roomates's LPs and the Roger Dean art of a Yes album caught our eye. We dropped the needle down onto a song called the "Gates of Delerium" or something like that. Yeah, fitting title, bad choice. Two seconds into the song it had sent our anxiety from non-existent to terror and my friend's best reaction was to forcefully knock the needle off the record and we both had to catch our breath, wide-eyed, before trying again, and then settled on a far better choice- Ziggy Stardust.

Love the OP title, btw. My thoughts as well.Laughing

Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

OneIsEros
#12 Posted : 9/5/2020 12:12:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Know something that psychedelics are really great at doing? Making you appreciate complex forms of music far more! Jazz, classical... there's a lot going on there with these kinds of music, and you can appreciate every detail of it.

I've also found that the really old recordings of blues players like Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Son House, etc. get better, because your awareness is so heightened that the poor recording quality no longer interferes with the music - you hear it all, every bit of it, clear as day.

Elrik
#13 Posted : 9/5/2020 6:17:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Icyseeker wrote:
... on DMT (in my limited experience) Music barely even factred in the trip.
I'm selective because of an experience I had once. I was tripping on a respectable dose of pharmahuasca when I decided to take a few rips off my DMT pipe while my blood was still full of harmalas. I wasn't paying attention to the music playlist I had going because I was a little too fried to know where it was in the list. Anyway, I took a big hit and then promptly took another. Just as I was inhaling, the symphonic metal playlist ended and my favorite thrash metal band started up. I couldn't handle it I was so fried she was like nails on a blackboard. I had to climb out of bed and crawl across the floor through rocketing DMT visions to somehow poke next on my mp3 and I somehow made it back to bed to collapse into the visions.
I'm more careful now, and I also use headphones now Laughing

I even make playlists just for mushrooms now, since the trip progression is so predictable on shrooms. When I feel the first half I gulp down the second half of the dose, turn my mp3 on and go to bed, it starts out with moderate energy songs and slowly transitions to the most gentle songs for when I'm peaking, then after peak it ramps up into the most fun songs.

jma182
#14 Posted : 9/5/2020 7:45:59 AM

Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace.

Sphongle bores the the sh!t out of me, be it sober or tripping i can't get thru a single song.
I like tripping to tash sultana, rainbow kitten surprise, wild child, glass animals, shakey graves, pink floyd,etc. for DMT i like Emancipator almost exclusively & sober I mostly listen to trap and reggae.
“Whoever, at any time, has undertaken to build a new heaven has found the strength for it in his own hell.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

jiva
#15 Posted : 9/5/2020 12:39:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jma182 wrote:
Sphongle bores the the sh!t out of me, be it sober or tripping i can't get thru a single song.

i used to love shpongle. now i feel the same way.

DJ Chicago once said that Simon Posford has been trying to re-invent himself and shpongle since their 3rd album and are failing since then.

null24
#16 Posted : 9/5/2020 4:15:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

OneIsEros wrote:
Know something that psychedelics are really great at doing? Making you appreciate complex forms of music far more! Jazz, classical... there's a lot going on there with these kinds of music, and you can appreciate every detail of it.

Yes. Try on Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady for a ride sometime.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

dragonrider
#17 Posted : 9/5/2020 4:35:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
A New Way To Say Hooray is a good one for tripping, by Shpongle. Mckennas voice is all tripped out in the song.

I can relate tho Bis. Some of their stuff was just to many sounds at once for tripping. I personally like several varieties of electronic while tripping. Some heavy stuff, some ethnic groove tracks, some slow tempo trip-tronic. It’s all gravy to me. Some of my go tos are Clozee, Tipper, Just A Gent, Space Jesus, just to name a few. Also, putting in a playlist based off my saved songs is always fun. Found a lot of cool tunes while tripping that way. (Also found some that I saved while tripping, then listened the next day sober, and was like, why the hell did I save those?)

Yes, some of their songs are realy great, like that one. I also like shpongle falls for instance.
But i absolutely do not like the god particle, and there are plenty of other songs that don't seem to go anywhere. Some of their work just sounds generic.

I have the same thing with ozric tentacles. Some of it is pretty nice, but there's a lot of psychedelic elevator music as well.

What realy works is making a playlist that is very diversified, because too much of the same thing just get's boring at some point, and putting in some of your favorites AND some songs you haven't heard yet but you think might be good for some reason.

To discover a great song on acid, is one of the nicest experiences there is.

jma182
#18 Posted : 9/5/2020 7:01:46 PM

Better than a thousand useless words is one useful word, hearing which one attains peace.

jiva wrote:
jma182 wrote:

i used to love shpongle. now i feel the same way.

DJ Chicago once said that Simon Posford has been trying to re-invent himself and shpongle since their 3rd album and are failing since then.

yeah i feel you, back on my metal head days i loved in flames, last i heard from em was so close to emo, it was so sad.
“Whoever, at any time, has undertaken to build a new heaven has found the strength for it in his own hell.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

forwardtoinfinity
#19 Posted : 9/6/2020 12:35:34 AM

Novice HyperPilot

I listened to Shpongle (Divine Moments of Truth) for the first time while also trying for the first time vaping/smoking DMT(~30mg)+Harmalas(~100mg) while tripping on acid (~100ug).

The music I think really amped up the pace of the trip. It was like a nitrous fueled jaguar tribalistic feeling tunnel, very intense and masculine. I was relieved when I was able to change the music. Felt really amazing and rejuvenating but it was a bit uncomfortable for me.

hug46
#20 Posted : 9/6/2020 10:02:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never found that much music that puts itself out there as psychedelic to be my cup of tea. I think that with old school types like Hendrix he was just making music and it turned out a bit psychedelic because he was in that head space at the time. Also it has a wide appeal because , whether it was psychedelic or not, it was really good music period. Same goes for Floyd and the Doors.

I watched a shpongle concert on utube the other night and it was all a bit samey although i imagine that there would be bits of their stuff that i'd like. I like OTT. I am glad that Shpongle are out there doing their thing. They are underground and not "trendy" but very popular. I like that.

Last time it tripped on low does DMT and listened to music, i had a phase of litening to theme tunes of the TV programs i watched when i was a little kid. Mostly whimsical, folky, organic and comforting music.

On LSD and mushrooms most music sounds interesting to me but hell i could watch a toilet roll advert on TV while tripping and be taken over by it and find beautiful nuances and deep meaning in it.....

12NEXT