We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2526272829NEXT
The official "Is this chem ok to use? / Where can I find ...?" thread Options

MuteUSO
#521 Posted : 4/13/2020 9:07:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,

in Sweden they have something like medical bensin. Which is essentially naphtha. Just wanted to check in and ask what you guys think about it. It says it has (besides naphtha):
-a bensin (probably benzene in English) content of <0.1%. I suppose that is a quality standard and not a problem.
-n-hexane <5%
-other aromatics <0.05%

CAS nr is: 64742-49-0

Other than that the boiling point is said to be at 60°. Is that a problem? SDS of the medical bensin: https://www.apoteket.se/...ensin---apl-20150522.pdf

Cheers and thanks a lot! :-)

PS: I could also get the (European) Coleman Fuel (see post bottom page 25), which Downwardfromzero said was okay. Would you rather go for the Coleman or the medical bensin?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#522 Posted : 4/13/2020 8:38:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's a matter of volatility. Both solvents have their merits. Coleman fuel will have a higher boiling point. It's said to be largely heptane, which means it'll boil at around 98°C. The medical benzine (with an 'i') will evaporate much more readily and thus present a rather greater fire hazard.

An advantage of the medical stuff is that it has an assured purity grade and will evaporate absolutely cleanly. It's a bit of a shame to evaporate the expensive stuff, of course! It will be a less effective extraction solvent as you'll have a smaller temperature range to work with if you're using freeze precipitation.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

MuteUSO
#523 Posted : 4/13/2020 10:58:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
It's a matter of volatility. Both solvents have their merits. Coleman fuel will have a higher boiling point. It's said to be largely heptane, which means it'll boil at around 98°C. The medical benzine (with an 'i') will evaporate much more readily and thus present a rather greater fire hazard.

An advantage of the medical stuff is that it has an assured purity grade and will evaporate absolutely cleanly. It's a bit of a shame to evaporate the expensive stuff, of course! It will be a less effective extraction solvent as you'll have a smaller temperature range to work with if you're using freeze precipitation.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I am aware that most of the medical benzine has low boiling points and this is probably where you are coming from. However, the one listed here states one ('Kokpunktsinterval'Pleased of 90-110. From this, it should extract more effectively than the Coleman/heptane. Or, did I get something wrong?

I can also get another medical benzine with a boiling point of 60. Maybe I can combine them somehow to get a more effective extraction? I would assume the high bp for initial and low bp for re-ex, right?

downwardsfromzero
#524 Posted : 4/13/2020 11:16:27 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

OK, I only saw you mention the one with the BP of 60°C. In which case, you're right - the one with the boiling range (Kokpunktsinterval) of 90-110°C is practically the same as Coleman fuel with the added advantage of being pharmaceutical grade. That brings it down to the question of price, perhaps. Or get both (or all three) and do a side-by-side comparison for the sake of science Big grin

And yes you can use the low BP for re-x.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

dawau
#525 Posted : 5/11/2020 6:51:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, im looking for naphtha in my country and there is very little info around. I have found product with cas: 64742-49-0 with boiling point 80-110 C, cointaining following chemicals: Petroleum, hydrotreated light Hydrocarbons, C6-C7, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclic, <5% n-hexane". Is it suitable? Isn't the boiling point too high? Thanks!

Brennendes Wasser
#526 Posted : 5/11/2020 11:25:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Seems perfekt! Thumbs up

Being labeled as C6-C7 will definetly be the correct pack of Alkanes, Hexane and Heptanes.

Regarding the boiling point:
The Naphtha I know with C6-C7 is labeled as 60 - 80 °C, which is quite below the value of the n-Alkane isomers. Your one is quite higher, as Hexane and Heptane boil at 68 and 98 °C - somehow in the middle between those 2 Naphthas. As both definetly have their origin in refined petroleum from oil, I would not give too much about the boiling range and focus more on the more specific terming of the Alkane-length, which is just the correct one.

It's strange that both suppliers give a different boiling range for their products, I mean there is a variety of Alkanes in both, but the mixture itself should be quite similar, as there is not tooo big of a difference of oil around the globe I think. Even if that boiling range would indeed be so different in both cases and therefore also the isomer mixture, this would not hurt too much, as the polarity will still be around the optimum for selective extracting, compared to any other C5-C6 mixture or C9-C13 (some other common Naphtha mixtures). Therefore just go for it!

dawau
#527 Posted : 5/12/2020 11:09:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Seems perfekt! Thumbs up

Being labeled as C6-C7 will definetly be the correct pack of Alkanes, Hexane and Heptanes.

Regarding the boiling point:
The Naphtha I know with C6-C7 is labeled as 60 - 80 °C, which is quite below the value of the n-Alkane isomers. Your one is quite higher, as Hexane and Heptane boil at 68 and 98 °C - somehow in the middle between those 2 Naphthas. As both definetly have their origin in refined petroleum from oil, I would not give too much about the boiling range and focus more on the more specific terming of the Alkane-length, which is just the correct one.

It's strange that both suppliers give a different boiling range for their products, I mean there is a variety of Alkanes in both, but the mixture itself should be quite similar, as there is not tooo big of a difference of oil around the globe I think. Even if that boiling range would indeed be so different in both cases and therefore also the isomer mixture, this would not hurt too much, as the polarity will still be around the optimum for selective extracting, compared to any other C5-C6 mixture or C9-C13 (some other common Naphtha mixtures). Therefore just go for it!

Thanks a lot!

BecometheOther
#528 Posted : 9/2/2020 3:28:00 AM

metamorhpasizer

http://prolinecp.com/sds...tal-Drain-Opener-SDS.pdf
Would this be safe to use? Not that great at understanding the msds on this... help appreciated
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

Sausages
#529 Posted : 9/2/2020 1:53:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That should be fine. You can compare it with an MSDS for household Lye (such as Red Devil), which will have a similar percentage (96-100%) due to the way it is produced.
The stars keep burning,
Worlds keep turning,
Through joy and pain,
Forever learning.

BecometheOther
#530 Posted : 9/2/2020 8:50:11 PM

metamorhpasizer

thanks for the input sausages, it was the "inert ingredients" listed that kind of concerned me. What are they and what if they are soluable in the solvent?

Also it says other ingredients 1% and carcinogenic or toxic <.1% is that something to worry about?

thanks, i have never used lye, only pickling lime.
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

Sausages
#531 Posted : 9/3/2020 1:32:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The MSDS for the lye I'm using states the following about it's 98% makeup:

Quote:
Commercially pure. May include small quantities of materials due to manufacturing or reaction processes.

Which others have said is to allow for the product to have absorbed some moisture during packaging, as lye is strongly hygroscopic.

The <0.1% should not be something to worry about. I can't see an issue with contacting the manufacture directly for full clarification.They probably won't ask why you need to know but if asked you can just tell them you're trying to make hypoallergenic soap and this is the only lye product you can access.

As an aside it seems nonsensical that the toxicological data lists Sodium Carbonate.

The stars keep burning,
Worlds keep turning,
Through joy and pain,
Forever learning.

downwardsfromzero
#532 Posted : 9/3/2020 5:44:13 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sausages wrote:
As an aside it seems nonsensical that the toxicological data lists Sodium Carbonate.
All commercial NaOH will contain sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate itself would be listed as a skin irritant and severe eye irritant on its own SDS so they're sort of obliged to mention this. Of course it pales beside the corrosive effects of NaOH but there you go Confused

BecometheOther
#533 Posted : 9/3/2020 9:30:47 PM

metamorhpasizer

Thanks again Sausages and downwardsfromzero! The input is appreciated and has sufficiently put me at ease Smile I plan to proceed with the extraction tonight. good luck in all of your endevours!

downwardsfromzero
#534 Posted : 9/4/2020 9:21:27 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Good preparation helps with good luck. Wink

Scylla
#535 Posted : 12/29/2020 10:27:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering if anyone had commentary on Sunnyside versus Klean Strip VM&P naptha.

I remember a friend once told me they had worse emulsions and less success with one versus the other, but I forgot which; and I suppose there could have been other variables involved.

Does anyone have comments on whether the cycloalkanes are a better option versus the single chain alkanes? Does we want more of one or the other? If alkanes work fine why not just use gasoline for a few bucks per gallon?

downwardsfromzero
#536 Posted : 12/30/2020 8:53:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Scylla wrote:
If alkanes work fine why not just use gasoline for a few bucks per gallon
Gasoline is not simply a mixture of alkanes, is the simple answer. There's a bunch of aromatics to consider as well as other anti-knock additives and stabilizers, making motor spirit a far-from-ideal option.

Scylla
#537 Posted : 12/31/2020 7:13:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, good thing there isn't tetra ethyl lead in there anymore!

Yes I guess I was not thinking about the additives (which should be a very small amount of compound...but still ableit ones you don't want.)

Aromatics should be fine though, no? Xylene, toluene, etc are all aromatic's and people use those.

Why are straight alkanes preferable for spice? Likewise why are straight alkanes not preferred for other compounds? Somehow I usually think of alkanes as Re-X solvents and aromatics as non-polar phases for separation.

swimer
#538 Posted : 2/14/2021 8:51:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It is impossible to get vm&p namptha in my country. I managed to find post about it on some forum and can anyone tell if this is gonna be good alternative? Previously i used zippo lighter namptha but im searching for something more pure.

What i found:

Reagent name: EXTRACTIVE GASOLINE
Reagent name: Hydrocarbons, C6-11, hydrotreated, dearomatized
Synonyms: low boiling oil fraction treated with hydrogen
Species: clean

From the forum:

So the ***** equivalent of VM&P Naphtha, which you can buy in a paint store in the USA, is simply Extraction Gasoline. Of course, it is not the same substance, it is a residue after distillation carried out by the refinery - more precisely, it is a mixture of "short" hydrocarbons, i.e. those that contain short hydrocarbon chains, ***** extraction gasoline can be evaporated in 92% at 100C (note from the speech here by 92% because it is a mixture of compounds with different boiling points and many of them will steam already at room temperature right after unscrewing the bottle - as you can see by swinging the mouth of the bottle, personally I do not recommend doing it too long because you will get hallucinations - you have to also to add that some of the hydrocarbons in gasoline do not evaporate even at 300C).
So to add that the extraction gasoline offered in the **** DIY store is not equal to the extraction gasoline offered at the gas station, which has much higher boiling points (for 92%) - 131C to 144C.
I spent the whole day on it today, I hope that others like me will find this post - because there is no similar on any *** website.

Dasein
#539 Posted : 6/8/2021 11:13:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone know where to get | High Pobability of Braindamage by Creepy non tested Drugs (forced by scammer 69ron) | in europe? I have only found one source on ebay but they ship from US and that means a) 20 euros shipping cost and b) likely problems with the customs

Also, are there any other types of cyclodextrine which could work as well?
این جهان با تو خوش است و آن جهان با تو خوش است
این جهان بی‌من مباش و آن جهان بی‌من مرو

ای عیان بی‌من مدان و ای زبان بی‌من مخوان
ای نظر بی‌من مبین و ای روان بی‌من مرو

0gTryptamine
#540 Posted : 7/19/2021 1:20:13 PM

Tryptamines in 0G

Dasein wrote:
Does anyone know where to get | High Pobability of Braindamage by Creepy non tested Drugs (forced by scammer 69ron) | in europe? I have only found one source on ebay but they ship from US and that means a) 20 euros shipping cost and b) likely problems with the customs

Also, are there any other types of cyclodextrine which could work as well?

I know you can order this from China, although the EU did increase import tax to be included for anything above 5 euros.

I don't know of any source within the EU. But since | High Pobability of Braindamage by Creepy non tested Drugs (forced by scammer 69ron) | is not a drug or controlled substance, you shouldn't have any problems importing it I believe.
Hack your brain!

«PREV2526272829NEXT