We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Starter tips? Options

bluelakespirit
#1 Posted : 8/28/2020 8:04:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, i appreciate it.

I'm going to be performing my first DMT extraction in a few weeks, and I was just wondering if any of you have any tips you'd like to share with me about the whole process, and/or to give me a heads up about any potential problems i might face.

Much thanks in advance!

With love,
Blue
Whatever happens happens, don't let your past define you, love above all else.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

potnoble
#2 Posted : 8/28/2020 8:33:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello bluelakespirit

Do your research and wear safety gear. If you use lye always put on goggles when moving it.
Even if you just move your extraction a few inches wear your goggles.
And keep some vinegar ready for spills.

For the experience you don´t need goggles Big grin

Have a gud one and stay safe
Psychedelic drugs don´t change you, they don´t change your character,
unless you want to be changed. They enable change. They can´t impose it.
Alexander Shulgin

Elrik
#3 Posted : 8/28/2020 9:26:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

An often forgotten rule of extracting is Don't throw anything away until you're sure you are done with the extraction.
Many times I've seen new extractors get only a fraction of the yield they should have and by the time they realize it they have thrown away the stuff that contained 3/4 of the DMT, mescaline, whatever. Start collecting jars and bottles now, you'll need them.
And label things.

Don't be the guy that goes to the hardware store and buys two jars of lye, a big can of xylene, and a turkey baster.

bluelakespirit
#4 Posted : 8/28/2020 11:21:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dear potnoble and Elrik, thank you for your responses! Will keep these things in mind! I'll most likely post some sort of summary of the extraction process here once its done.

With love,
Blue
Whatever happens happens, don't let your past define you, love above all else.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 8/28/2020 5:52:31 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

bluelakespirit wrote:
Dear potnoble and Elrik, thank you for your responses! Will keep these things in mind! I'll most likely post some sort of summary of the extraction process here once its done.

With love,
Blue

Better still, post a summary of the intended extraction process before you start; if anything, writing it out in your own words will help you to get a better grasp of the procedure. It's a collection of simple principles strung together in sequence. Patience and attention to detail are useful attributes to the experience.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

monomind
#6 Posted : 8/29/2020 12:49:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
bluelakespirit wrote:

With love,
Blue

Better still, post a summary of the intended extraction process before you start; if anything, writing it out in your own words will help you to get a better grasp of the procedure. It's a collection of simple principles strung together in sequence. Patience and attention to detail are useful attributes to the experience.

Yes. I suggest also writing it down on a piece of paper including exact measurements etc. and follow it like you are baking a cake. Read it few times in advance so you are more or less familiar with the whole process. Informing yourself a bit of the chemistry involved is a great plus.
Lastly, pick the simplest tek you can if its your first run and if you haven't, consider doing harmala
extraction first which involves no dangerous acid/bases.

Good luck!

Sausages
#7 Posted : 8/29/2020 2:58:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi Blue, I'm going through my first DMT extraction right now! I'll also post a summary when I'm done. It seems I wasn't as prepared as I thought for this and am about halfway through, but already want a few more items to assist with the extraction, which I'll pick up today.

Here's what I've learned already:
#1 is to take safety seriously and I'm glad to see that side of things mentioned in the first reply. They aren't wrong about gloves and goggles. That bit in Fight Club where the guy burns his hand with lye isn't just a joke. I've never had to learn that the hard way and don't want anyone to have to do so.

What I have just learned the hard way is - do not perform any part of the process while distracted, and do not try to skim off a top layer using your mouth for suction - it's safer and easier to siphon off the bottom layer from underneath. I've copped a taste of solvent and acidified gunk from trying to use tubing to remove the top layer and getting distracted, and at that moment remembered that part of what I was taught in chemistry many years ago - don't use your mouth for this sort of thing! If I had been working with a basic layer the results would have been most dire. It's best that I risk copping some flak for being an idiot if someone else can learn from my mistakes.

What I've been doing is writing out what I plan to do for each step and this helps the way I think about things, and leaves less room for second-guessing every step of the way. I'm more or less following Cyb's Hybrid tek but taken on board some sensible sounding suggestions regarding defatting due to the material I'm using.

Thrift shops can be a great source for utensils if your budget is limited. Don't settle for plastic - use glass. A little plastic is perhaps unavoidable without a proper lab set up e.g. funnels, tubing for siphoning, baggies as a separatory funnel, but should be kept to an absolute minimum.

potnoble, Elrik, downwardsfromzero and monomind, from another newbie - thanks for your advice!

The stars keep burning,
Worlds keep turning,
Through joy and pain,
Forever learning.