We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV6667686970NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

acacian
#1341 Posted : 6/7/2020 5:32:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ypsilophora wrote:
thanks Acacian and Chimp Z.
I do suspect it to be a floribunda, seems inactive (or very very low concentration) as well, but it is coming into flower, so we shall see when I try another extraction.

if i can recommend one thing do not use shellite (assuming your in oz?) for floribunda extraction. it works very poorly and you will often end up with misleading results (in fact it works very poorly in general now if you are using the diggers brand).. always got way better results using toluene with this tree and the extracts are wayy cooler than the shellite extracts

If you are extracting from floribunda in highly urban areas I would recommend testing some a bit further out in the bush.. they seem to work better.. phyllodes and twig generally have healthy content but whenever i have done extractions on city grown floribunda have come up with negative results.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ypsilophora
#1342 Posted : 6/15/2020 9:17:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey Acacian,
Thanks for the tips. I have stopped using shellite, as I found, as you stated, that it had pretty terrible pulling ability.
I have started using Xylene, it's revoltingly smelly stuff, but much more efficient than shellite. Live very rurally, so don't have local access to Toluene.

I'll do another test shortly, although phyllodes didn't offer much oral activity at quite high dosages (plus syrian rue).

Have you found a difference in alkaloid profile between the more erect and the weepy growth type? Only asking because the ones that are more erect ones seem to have more sparse phyllode arrangement, with the phyllodes more erect and stiff (the phyllodes themselves are still pretty supple, they just stick out more)... reminiscent of A. obtusifolia.

acacian
#1343 Posted : 6/26/2020 3:45:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ypsilophora wrote:
Have you found a difference in alkaloid profile between the more erect and the weepy growth type? Only asking because the ones that are more erect ones seem to have more sparse phyllode arrangement, with the phyllodes more erect and stiff (the phyllodes themselves are still pretty supple, they just stick out more)... reminiscent of A. obtusifolia.

Not really.. more found it to be an area thing.. For whatever reason I have never had much success in trees growing around built up urban areas. Location does seem to be a big variable with floribunda.

Jagube
#1344 Posted : 6/27/2020 1:09:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
Not really.. more found it to be an area thing.. For whatever reason I have never had much success in trees growing around built up urban areas. Location does seem to be a big variable with floribunda.

That's good news. I think someone said on the Nexus that the weeping forms are inactive and I have two trees of the weeping form. Now I know there is hope Very happy

I've bioassayed teas and extracts with inconclusive results, but will revisit it.

Currently I'm testing my A. retinodes, along with a few other projects.

acacian
#1345 Posted : 6/27/2020 6:11:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I have had plenty of success with weeping forms..

Phangz
#1346 Posted : 6/27/2020 10:40:16 AM

Seeking...

Hi Acacian,

I'm very, very new to field of plants. Mainly have just grown fruits and veggies in the garden. However, I have positively identified an Acacia podalyriifolia. Would it be worth the effort for my first time ever extraction?? I have read conflicting data and you seem very knowledgeable on this matter. Plants are just starting to flower.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Also, there's plenty more of different species along the highway I haven't had a chance to try and i.d yet. But will get pics and post as soon as i can. It's amazing how many i see driving around without even trying to spot them now.
There's never enough dirt but......the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago.

acacian
#1347 Posted : 6/28/2020 4:17:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi Phangz Smile

As far as I am aware there haven't been any findings of dmt in podalyrifolia. I remember some time ago a member here obtained a crystalline extract from it, which upon bioassay I believe turned out to be inactive. For research-sake I would say it is of course worthwhile as it will contribute to the data we have on the plant - however if you are after something with good DMT content your efforts may be better focused elsewhere..

A number of people who work with acacia's feel that nerve anastomisation is a potential indiactor of activity in species.. certainly if you look at the knwon active species they all share this in common, although there have been findings in species that don't have this trait. I would go with whatever plant you vibe with..

Phangz
#1348 Posted : 7/21/2020 5:11:19 AM

Seeking...

Can i please get id on these please. location is brisbane.
Phangz attached the following image(s):
aca4.png (1,303kb) downloaded 155 time(s).
aca3.png (933kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
aca2.png (1,212kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
aca1.png (1,208kb) downloaded 154 time(s).
There's never enough dirt but......the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago.

Phangz
#1349 Posted : 7/21/2020 7:32:52 AM

Seeking...

It's okay. Just got told they are Acacia leiocalyx. Oh well....

Would have been good if they was something good because they're unwanted where they are at and would have been a good score of free plants!! =P.

acacian
#1350 Posted : 7/21/2020 9:35:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phangz wrote:
It's okay. Just got told they are Acacia leiocalyx. Oh well....

Would have been good if they was something good because they're unwanted where they are at and would have been a good score of free plants!! =P.

Hey Phangz.. it is also very likely that it is Acacia Concurrens.. very similar looking trees.. differences are very subtle too so I would do a bit of research on the differences between the two. A friend of mine recently had good results with concurrens in northern NSW..

Both Leiocalyx and Concurrens are part of a "taxonomically difficult" group of very similar looking species .. known as the Cunninghamii group.. any tree in this group is worthy of research too they seem to yield quite good results and are also very common and easy to grow..

Phangz
#1351 Posted : 7/23/2020 12:30:12 PM

Seeking...

Hey Acacian,

Thanks for the reply.

Took your advice and did a little bit of study on the two species. Differences between them are subtle indeed. Apart from the different colouring of their branchlets, almost everything else is the same.
Leiocalyx having a reddish colour while Concurrens been brown. I looked at my photos again and it looks more red than brown. But it's to hard to say for sure. Will try and see if there is any other subtleties i can find and go back and inspect the plants in person again. Any cheat codes you can give?? =P

Still just the tip of the ice berg - still so, so many out there.

BTW which species are the weeping form you mentioned in earlier post??

acacian
#1352 Posted : 7/25/2020 4:36:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phangz wrote:

Hey Acacian,

Thanks for the reply.

Took your advice and did a little bit of study on the two species. Differences between them are subtle indeed. Apart from the different colouring of their branchlets, almost everything else is the same.
Leiocalyx having a reddish colour while Concurrens been brown. I looked at my photos again and it looks more red than brown. But it's to hard to say for sure. Will try and see if there is any other subtleties i can find and go back and inspect the plants in person again. Any cheat codes you can give?? =P

Still just the tip of the ice berg - still so, so many out there.

BTW which species are the weeping form you mentioned in earlier post??

I would have been talking about Floribunda.. although I don't believe weeping or no to be a factor in alkaloid activity.

XJ9
#1353 Posted : 7/26/2020 11:55:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello Stop

I'm wondering if this is Acacia Longifolia.

I'm not sure as to whether these pictures are any good. Please let me know if we need more detailed/specific pictures for a solid ID.

Cheers for the help!

https://i.imgur.com/1JrIA5p.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GdGLSQY.jpg
XJ9 attached the following image(s):
a1.jpg (139kb) downloaded 129 time(s).
a2.jpg (255kb) downloaded 131 time(s).
Please contact me if you have experience working with Acacia Longifolia or Maidenii Smile

acacian
#1354 Posted : 7/26/2020 1:59:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is either Acacia Longifolia or Acacia Longifolia subs. Sophorae.. not 100% but notice how the phyllodes get broader towards the end like a kind of balloon shape?.. Might be good to get some more photos.. I think I'm slightly leaning more towards longifolia but this one has stumped me a bit!

XJ9
#1355 Posted : 7/26/2020 8:53:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
It is either Acacia Longifolia or Acacia Longifolia subs. Sophorae.. not 100% but notice how the phyllodes get broader towards the end like a kind of balloon shape?.. Might be good to get some more photos.. I think I'm slightly leaning more towards longifolia but this one has stumped me a bit!

Thanks for the feedback and for your assistance to help others make quality ID's throughout this thread Thumbs up Very happy

I will take more close-ups this week which will include close-ups of the phyllodes.
Are there any specific pictures which may help with a solid ID?

I made my preliminary ID of Longifolia using one of those plant apps which aims to ID using AI and a library of similar images.

Meanwhile, here are a few links which seem handy for when I come back with better pictures:

Acacia Identifier App
https://apps.lucidcentra...wattle/identify/key.html
Acacia longifolia (Andrews) Willd. subsp. longifolia
https://apps.lucidcentra...ia_subsp._longifolia.htm
Acacia longifolia subsp. sophorae (Labill.) Court
https://apps.lucidcentra...olia_subsp._sophorae.htm
Please contact me if you have experience working with Acacia Longifolia or Maidenii Smile

XJ9
#1356 Posted : 7/28/2020 7:44:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I picked the right time to be interested in Acacias. Turns out there's a tree on campus that I've passed many times before, but only today did I realize it was an Acacia. There was a small sign attached to the trunk with the words "Acacia Longifolia, E. Australia".

However, the phyllodes seemed more narrow than what I had expected.
Can someone here help me shed light on this Surprised ? The tree was no taller than 5 meters tall.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it is A. Longifolia

XJ9 attached the following image(s):
a1.jpg (159kb) downloaded 109 time(s).
a2.jpg (264kb) downloaded 108 time(s).

Sausages
#1357 Posted : 8/27/2020 9:44:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A botanic garden near me has a whole bunch of labeled Acacia species, seems like something that might be useful to some people.

Etymology!

Acacia acinacea

Acacia acuminata

Acacia acuminata

Acacia acuminata

Acacia boormanii

Acacia cultriformis

Acacia cultriformis

Acacia cultriformis

Acacia cupularis

Acacia cupularis

Acacia dodonaeifolia

Acacia dodonaeifolia

Acacia dodonaeifolia

Acacia iteaphylla

Acacia iteaphylla

Acacia longifolia ssp. sophorae

Acacia myrtifolia

Acacia myrtifolia

Acacia myrtifolia

Acacia pycnantha

Acacia pycnantha

Acacia pycnantha

Acacia pycnantha

Acacia retinodes

Acacia retinodes

Acacia retinodes

Acacia rupicola

Acacia rupicola

Acacia verticillata

Acacia verticillata

Acacia verticillata

And just to make it clear, botanic gardens should not be considered a source! They are a useful reference for people like myself who want to get familiar with the appearance and qualities of various species.
The stars keep burning,
Worlds keep turning,
Through joy and pain,
Forever learning.

Sausages
#1358 Posted : 8/27/2020 10:06:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

And now I need a bit of help - I suspect I've found specimens of A. longifolia, A. floribunda and A. maidenii in my area despite being outside of their natural range. I know wishful thinking can distort expectations, but I would appreciate some help in identifying the following specimens:

Suspected A. longifolia

Specimen 1

Specimen 2

Specimen 3

Suspected A. floribunda

Suspected A. maidenii

The stars keep burning,
Worlds keep turning,
Through joy and pain,
Forever learning.

Sigtyr
#1359 Posted : 8/28/2020 5:22:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sausages wrote:
A botanic garden near me has a whole bunch of labeled Acacia species, seems like something that might be useful to some people.

And just to make it clear, botanic gardens should not be considered a source! They are a useful reference for people like myself who want to get familiar with the appearance and qualities of various species.

I know where that botanical garden is.... I've been there before Big grin

Woolmer
#1360 Posted : 11/21/2020 12:23:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys, could I get some help on ID'ing the variant of A. Acuminata that I have found. It is likely that it is the typical variant but the only thing which seems off is that a lot of the seeds, but certainly not all, are quite turgid. Unfortunately, I could not see any seeds which were already ripe so I just got all the seed pods that came along with the twigs I picked. I'm thinking that perhaps some of the flatter seeds are just not fully developed yet. This makes me think that it is a possibility of being A. acuminata (acuminata/burkitti variant 2).

Here are the dimensions:

Phyllodes: 5-10mm wide, most longer than 10mm
Seeds (in terms of the more mature-looking ones): about 4mm wide, 3mm thick
Pods: 4-5mm wide

And below are some pics

Edit: Another thing to note is that an a/b of over 700g fresh phyllodes seems to be yielding very little and I am a bit puzzled by it. Are fewer alkaloids made during seed production as is with flowering? Perhaps there is an error in my extraction methods/materials.
Woolmer attached the following image(s):
IMG_6866.jpg (2,608kb) downloaded 203 time(s).
IMG_6873.jpg (1,814kb) downloaded 201 time(s).
IMG_6896.jpg (1,470kb) downloaded 201 time(s).

«PREV6667686970NEXT»