We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Learning To Use Gramma Options

Bosho 23
#1 Posted : 4/26/2020 4:20:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi team I know not many like reading my post because of my gramma or there for absolute disregard of the use of it at all I learnt little in school that I can remember maybe I learnt how to use it but totally forgot all together just put the question out there if anyone knows any good websites I can learn 1 to better myself 2 to help you read what I write I feel it is a win win any input would be great much appreciated. ✌️ and 🌈 my first full stop that feels good

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Metta-Morpheus
#2 Posted : 4/26/2020 11:18:17 AM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Nelly can teach you country grammar... shimmy shimmy coco pop

But for real, there’s a website I’ve seen advertised called grammarly. Supposed to help with grammar. Try googling that.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Bosho 23
#3 Posted : 4/26/2020 1:44:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks heaps meta I look into it ✌️ and 🌈

null24
#4 Posted : 4/27/2020 11:46:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

I don't know about websites but maybe reading? I actually like doing things like reading the Wikipedia glossary of grammar terms to help me, but I'm one of those weirdos who used to read the dictionary when I was a kid, your mileage may vary.

I appreciate creative uses of language but do have a real sticking point when it seems to me like someone is just totally disregarding it; one needs knowledge of rules to effectively break them.

I've worked hard to improve the lucidity of both my written and spoken language to more effectively communicate things which are important to me and that I want to relate to others in the most effective way possible, while retaining some semblance of credibility. Maybe I've had limited success, I like to think so, but only someone else who can pick up what I'm laying down could tell me. I guess practice, practice, practice is the advice I'd offer to you, in lieu of a website?

I can't say I learned much in school either, until I finally went to college at 42. The rote memorization offered in my secondary education is not how I learn, combined with an utter lack of desire to attend school so that need not be a stopping point for you.

I appreciate your wanting to improve your grammar and language skills, that is commendable and probably hard to do, I wish I had better advice for you.

What about school?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bosho 23
#5 Posted : 4/28/2020 12:05:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Null much appreciated I’ve never read a book in my life I nearly did about 30 pages short of the end and this would be the 3rd time in 2 weeks I’ve been giving that advice plus the signs are everywhere.

I know I need to slow down and smell the roses reading will be the way I’m trying to do too much at once to help myself and if I focus on one thing like learning through reading I will learn knowledge in all aspects including grammar.

The thing is null I really struggle to understand a lot of the words used on this website or in books, I find myself looking up what each word means that I don’t understand quite regularly and truthfully it’s a bit of a pain in the arse, I do not feel dumb in any way I know I have it all within like all of us I just need to unlock the knowledge.

So if you could recommend a good read that’s out there for us simpler folk a example of this would be I read yesterday about the mazatecs and there rituals with the mushroom and the 53 species of mushroom that grows in mexico (WOW), it was a easy terrific read with not much thesaurus action so something along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

School it has not crossed my mind and if it has it was not about learning I think I would have to find something that grabbed my attention to consider that path after copping the biggest reality check a couple of weeks ago I think I’m just gonna take it easy and not overload the mind just yet get back to basics and slow the F down (nice post DD) but will not dismiss the idea as anything is possible.

Thanks so much this place really is beautiful I’m proud to be a 🌱 and I truly mean it much love and appreciation ✌️ and 🌈

bismillah
#6 Posted : 4/28/2020 3:24:40 PM

My Personalized Tag

Best way to learn style is to read. No question. Preferably the classics, but really you should read what tickles your brain, whether that be Dostoevsky or Dan Brown.

It would also be good just to revisit the basics mull it all over. Where are the natural pauses in one's speech? How can one use punctuation to articulate that in their writing? The reader should hear your unique voice when they read your words.

Writing is a beautiful thing! Good on you for making the effort to improve.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

null24
#7 Posted : 4/28/2020 4:45:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Here's a couple of my favorite stories. Both books are easy reads but are great pieces of modern literature, imo.

The first may be hard to find. It was an assignment to read in primary school and it has never left me. It's by Walter Wangerin Jr and is a Christian allegory but don't let that turn you off. The characters are farm animals and they engage in a great battle of good versus evil and discover their true nature and that of the world along the way: The Book of the Dun Cow If you Google the title, you can find a PDF excerpt of the first chapter to see if you like it. I am not talking about the old Irish myth of the same name.

The other is very short and also an easy read. The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis. The movie with Bowie by N Roeg is a classic but didn't really capture the isolation and alienation that the story is about and kind of suffers as a result of the production team's prodigious use of cocaine and the attendant mundane grandiosity. Am alien comes to Earth on a solo mission to bring water back to his dying world, leaving his wife and children behind. He brings consumer high tech that he uses to build the necessary wealth he needs to construct a ship to carry the water with him and instantly becomes a powerful capitalist. His alien nature leads to a vulnerability and he is both consumed by the world he comes to and ends up addicted to consumption as well. Terribly sad, but thought provoking.

Good on you again, it is a noble pursuit.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bosho 23
#8 Posted : 4/29/2020 11:49:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks bismillah and null the book of the dun cow seems like a crazy story. Null u said u where in primary school when u read this book how the world has changed.

It looks like a fun read I will head to my local book shop on Friday thank you for all your response once again cheers ✌️ and 🌈

thevoluntaryway
#9 Posted : 5/2/2020 6:10:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I learned more about English grammar in the process of studying Japanese than I ever did at school - and I actually went to a Grammar school. Studying another Latin derived language can also help to reinforce English knowledge.

Kyngwhatt
#10 Posted : 8/4/2020 11:19:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't feel bad Bosho you're not alone, i STRUGGLE to write, and i cannot ever get what i wan't to say in text. but posting on shroomery and chan's helped me
I don't get it i like to read
The drug had completely altered their fundamental concept of reality

ColorfulElfBoy
#11 Posted : 8/4/2020 11:52:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If you argue enough with people on facebook or youtube the grammar nazis will soon help you out lol.