We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Always burning your dabs, but don't have money for an electric nail? Options

Shnuffles
#1 Posted : 7/19/2020 3:43:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Always burning your dabs, but don't have money for an electric nail? I did the math so you don't have to!!

All you have to do is heat your titanium nail up to the point it is glowing "Blood Red" (As opposed to "Faint Red" ) and wait 20 seconds. That's it!! No more simple guesswork using your hand to feel the heat! All you gotta do is count!

The math shows that it takes about 26 seconds on average for a titanium nail to cool from 1075 F (Blood Red) to 329 F (just above THC's boiling point). This means that as long as you wait less than 26 seconds, it will still be hot enough to vaporize THC. So, if you wait 20 seconds, it will end up around 10-30 degrees hotter than THC's boiling point, so hot enough to vape but not hot enough to burn. Give or take a second or two if ambient temperature is outside of the 60 - 80 F range.

This Technique was developed mostly aimed for use with vaping distillate or high purity THC concentrate more efficiently since it burns easier than more diverse concentrates. My number for the time it takes for Blood red to cool to Faint Red comes from rough estimates in my own experiments, performed at an ambient temperature of 83.5 F. But as the math shows, the difference between times between 60 F and 80 F are nearly negligible.

I used Newton's Law of Cooling to make this estimate. I plan to do the same with ceramic and quartz nails, however I must do further research and experimentation to find out if the same method can apply given the proper information is available. This is more or less a proof of concept that doubles as a method for me to stop burning my distillate with my current equipment without having to burn more and guess based on feel to dial it in.

Shnuffles attached the following image(s):
Titanium Nail Cooling Time Math.jpg (2,127kb) downloaded 229 time(s).
I come from a place beyond the clouds. Only Shponglese is spoken there, and that is my native language. I am only just learning english, so if i say anything strange, it is probably a miscommunication on my part and i apologize. I sdsrrrbablenta to all of you and i ghope tjat you can forgive any miscommunications.

May the Elves ever be in your favor,

~~~Shnuffles

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

RoundAbout
#2 Posted : 7/19/2020 7:44:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shnuffles wrote:
The math shows that it takes about 26 seconds on average for a titanium nail to cool from 1075 F (Blood Red) to 329 F (THC's boiling point). This means that as long as you wait less than 26 seconds, it will still be hot enough to vaporize THC. So, if you wait 20 seconds, it will end up around 10-30 degrees hotter than THC's boiling point, so hot enough to vape but not hot enough to burn. Give or take a second or two if ambient temperature is outside of the 60 - 80 F range.

329°F is around THC's boiling at 0.05 Torr. Maybe your suggested temperature is still ideal, I don't know anything about doing dabs.

Shnuffles
#3 Posted : 7/20/2020 6:53:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LMAO omg that's funny.

Ok, so the math totally still works, I just forgot that I had initially set the target temperature at 329 F, which I had derived by offsetting THC's actual atmospheric-pressure boiling point(314.6 F) by about 15 F. I found the info on this data sheet I'll be attaching. So while the actual boiling point of THC is 314.6 F at atm pressure, this just means that the nail would need roughly an extra half second or so to reach the actual boiling point, but either way, you kinda wanna be a bit above that anyway so you can do a reasonable size dab. In my personal tests, while I do get vaporization at just under 26 seconds, I find that about 17-20 seconds from Blood Red works best without burning it too much. I'll edit the original post to make it more accurate

By the way, RoundAbout, how do you know the boiling point of THC at 0.05 torr? If you have a phase diagram of THC, I would LOVE to see it.
I come from a place beyond the clouds. Only Shponglese is spoken there, and that is my native language. I am only just learning english, so if i say anything strange, it is probably a miscommunication on my part and i apologize. I sdsrrrbablenta to all of you and i ghope tjat you can forgive any miscommunications.

May the Elves ever be in your favor,

~~~Shnuffles

Tony6Strings
#4 Posted : 7/20/2020 8:06:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love my Ti nails for smoking pot oil. My piece (an Eyce rig) will take a 10mm quartz banger and I've been considering upgrade. The Ti just works so gosh damn well. Maybe colors the flavor a little, I dunno.

For dmt, I tried vaping a small dose with a dab straw with Ti nail. Heated to glowing then waited until I could see no more glow in a day lit room. One ingalation for entire dose. Burned the spice. I will never forget that taste. Its been pipes for me before and since.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

null24
#5 Posted : 7/20/2020 8:10:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Tony6Strings wrote:
I love my Ti nails for smoking pot oil. My piece (an Eyce rig) will take a 10mm quartz banger and I've been considering upgrade. The Ti just works so gosh damn well. Maybe colors the flavor a little, I dunno.

For dmt, I tried vaping a small dose with a dab straw with Ti nail. Heated to glowing then waited until I could see no more glow in a day lit room. One ingalation for entire dose. Burned the spice. I will never forget that taste. Its been pipes for me before and since.

I've used a glass straw to vape spice and it worked well without burning it. I have a weird hangup about torch lighters and red hot materials when I'm leaving my body though, so it was a one-off. More concerned about burning myself than the spice...
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Tony6Strings
#6 Posted : 7/21/2020 12:02:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm all about my gvg, and bowls of changa in my Snoddy (it's actually a piece by one of Bobs apprentices).
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

RoundAbout
#7 Posted : 7/21/2020 2:25:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shnuffles wrote:
LMAO omg that's funny.

Ok, so the math totally still works, I just forgot that I had initially set the target temperature at 329 F, which I had derived by offsetting THC's actual atmospheric-pressure boiling point(314.6 F) by about 15 F. I found the info on this data sheet I'll be attaching. So while the actual boiling point of THC is 314.6 F at atm pressure, this just means that the nail would need roughly an extra half second or so to reach the actual boiling point, but either way, you kinda wanna be a bit above that anyway so you can do a reasonable size dab. In my personal tests, while I do get vaporization at just under 26 seconds, I find that about 17-20 seconds from Blood Red works best without burning it too much. I'll edit the original post to make it more accurate

By the way, RoundAbout, how do you know the boiling point of THC at 0.05 torr? If you have a phase diagram of THC, I would LOVE to see it.

That data sheet lists the boiling point at 314.6°F (157°C). It's source is supposedly CompTox Chemicals Dashboard, which does not even have a value for the experimental boiling point, and the predicted boiling point range listed there is 328 - 407°C (yes: °C, not °F). I looked at Wikipedia; it lists two sources which are both from peer reviewed journals and consistent with one another.

Considering what boiling is, the boiling point will be reduced at lower pressures... not increased. Many compounds decompose before they reach the boiling point (even in an inert atmosphere), and are measured at low pressure due to this complication. Probably the case with THC also, but obviously it can be evaporated nonetheless. Just wanted to chime in because I often see these sorts of things mixed up, and there's a couple myths circulating because of these sorts of misunderstandings. Again: it could still could be a perfect temperature for dabs. I have no idea.

Egzoset
#8 Posted : 7/22/2020 2:45:17 AM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations,

OKay, now that conduction heat been mathematically explained the NASA style i'd personally appreciate some thermodynamics transposition applied to the traditional cigarette/"joint" format - 'cause i'm sure it never required a 26 seconds thermalization phase during my whole (ex-)smoker career, whatever...

Even better yet, try *MY* "Micro-Bursting" method just for the sake of, aHummm... Curiosity.

And while at it please consider putting tar/cauldron accumulation at the contact-surface in plain perspective, not to mention aroma/taste.

Oh well, enjoy the heights! As long as there is oxygen...

Good day, have fun!! Cool

cubeananda
#9 Posted : 7/23/2020 6:37:17 PM

jai

Egzoset wrote:
Salutations,

OKay, now that conduction heat been mathematically explained the NASA style i'd personally appreciate some thermodynamics transposition applied to the traditional cigarette/"joint" format - 'cause i'm sure it never required a 26 seconds thermalization phase during my whole (ex-)smoker career, whatever...

Even better yet, try *MY* "Micro-Bursting" method just for the sake of, aHummm... Curiosity.

And while at it please consider putting tar/cauldron accumulation at the contact-surface in plain perspective, not to mention aroma/taste.

Oh well, enjoy the heights! As long as there is oxygen...

Lol not sure if you're joking but I was thinking about this a bit.

Interesting to know if by micro-bursting maybe we can increase the heat radiation to pre-vape some of the flower before it actually hits the cherry?

lol idk im stoned Laughing

Egzoset
#10 Posted : 7/24/2020 1:22:51 PM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations Cubeananda,

cubeananda wrote:
...i'd personally appreciate some thermodynamics transposition applied to the traditional cigarette/"joint" format - 'cause i'm sure it never required a 26 seconds thermalization phase...

The question stands.

cubeananda wrote:
...not sure if you're joking but I was thinking about this a bit.

It's all been writen before i think. If one needs to determine what's the joking part vs the serious part then please read again and eventually consider engaging into my DUPLICATE & PEER REVIEW challenge. At least don't wait for Trump to make all inhalation devices illegal...

Wut?

cubeananda wrote:
Interesting to know if by micro-bursting maybe we can increase the heat radiation to pre-vape some of the flower before it actually hits the cherry?

This must be in reference to the Bowl-Ring in my LAVACapsule i presume. Yes, it's a desirable feature of my Hybrid Core strategy facilitating the transition to a digital-grade/short-term (temporary/transitional) wireless energy storage, e.g. separately from the subsequent "Release/Transport" phase once inhalation airflow sets things in motion.

A Bowl-Ring made of a correctly-selected Curie alloy will certainly generate conductive/radiative heat which can serve such pre-heating purpose as you seem to suggest indeed. It's part of future IH experimentations i got in mind, to create some solid-state magnetic gear better exploited during a transition between 2 states, but i shall admit that i do vaguely foresee the possible applications continuum just may happend to extend to thermostatic functions as seen in Hot Dry Air Ovenizers as well. Just switch to materials as glass...

IMO the "Packetization" of heat charges promisses too much to remain unxeplored in any case, especially if it gives access to a novel mode preferably targetting the contact-surface of tiny/light objects as trichome glands by virtue of a workload-matched heat charge. Etc., etc. Sorry about déjà vu.

By chance Providence chose Egzoset as its emissary in order to deliver some secret talisman in the hands of a White Knight, the ultimate "chosen one" who's destiny is to use its magic against a most evil Dragon-Fairy, who dominates the view on top of a sacred mountain where no vegetation ever dares to install, somehow.

Bewarned, it is written that all those who tried before have perished, hence one needs absolute confidence or he's plain doomed to fail this epic mission should his determination ever weaken. Although there's never actually been any knights brave enough to risk a try!

Remember: It's already been done before, just not yet!...

P.S.: now i'm having kind of a laughing rictus.

Egzoset
#11 Posted : 7/24/2020 3:28:10 PM

Vaporist of Borg

ADDENDUM:

[ https:// www.eevblog.com/forum/be...sal-as-1st-newbie-topic/ ]

EEV Blog - A game proposal as 1st Newbie topic (2020-Jul-23)

Jump directly to the PyroFoil part: which temperature "ceiling" do you need?...

Cool

RoundAbout
#12 Posted : 7/26/2020 9:08:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Egzoset wrote:
ADDENDUM:

[ https:// www.eevblog.com/forum/be...sal-as-1st-newbie-topic/ ]

EEV Blog - A game proposal as 1st Newbie topic (2020-Jul-23)

Jump directly to the PyroFoil part: which temperature "ceiling" do you need?...

Cool

Endless self promotion regardless of engagement or relevance.

Egzoset
#13 Posted : 7/27/2020 5:35:58 AM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations RoundAbout,

RoundAbout wrote:
Endless self promotion regardless of engagement or relevance.

Why not just use the word "SPAMMER" and request that i get silenced.

Anyway, somehow i like this confirmation that YOU can't care less for, aHummm... Long-term engagement or relevance, my dear fanboy who's willing to deny the value of other people's contribution while it's clear YOU actually got no idea what's that is about.

You! You! You! ... Choosing to side with 2010 bullies - e.g. the year i created Egzoset...

Contrary to YOU there are rare individuals dedicated to only 1 main goal but will do it right.

Egzoset
#14 Posted : 7/27/2020 9:24:47 AM

Vaporist of Borg

P.S.:

Right before some piss-poor "Sniff 'n Liche" strategy casually/factually obstructed a valid argument of mine, under the form of a direct 10 words 1-liner personal spineless ATTACK, practically calling me a spammer, just because it's convenient, hey!... M'well there was a reply involving the NASA, thermo-dynamics, or even both as i vaguely recall, euh... Ah, and if i'm not mistaking it was more precisely about the good old days when i used to be a smoker myself and yet no cigarette/"joint" ever required a 26 seconds thermalization period just to get a puff. NEVER.

Thumbs down

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 7/27/2020 3:47:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

FWIW, Egzoset, it might be worth working on making your writing a bit more accessible. I find your ideas interesting as they echo a line of thought I've had myself regarding induction-based heating as an optimal method of heat delivery for a wide range vaporisation applications (yeah df0, great accessible sentence structure there Laughing Must be infectious...)

My own competence with electronics is rudimentary at best so perhaps you would do me a favour and break things down to their absolute, step-by-step basics so that a simpleton such as me could grasp it - as I have repeatedly and patiently done for n00bs in the field of chemistry?

Please let's ALL remember to be constructive here, acknowledging the inevitable frustrations that can arise Wink

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Egzoset
#16 Posted : 7/27/2020 6:45:46 PM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations DownwardsFromZero,

downwardsfromzero wrote:
...Egzoset, it might be worth working on making your writing a bit more accessible.

Blame me for years of indifference all you like, there's no going back except perhaps to point out it takes 2 to tango. FiY i've warned long ago that my "window" was over, that i live with other elders in an institution where such experimentation is a real problem, and yet just because one fails to see through my eyes it's no proof supporting bloc-denial. At least my illustrations survived and i've done a lot more than just my fair share despite global adversity, often being imported everytime it tingles elsewhere.

Maybe i need to learn pedagogy and become a teacher in my next life, if i ever manage to find my time machine which i must have lost somewhere...

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I find your ideas interesting as they echo a line of thought I've had myself regarding induction-based heating as an optimal method of heat delivery for a wide range vaporisation applications...

Excellent, yet rest assured as a matter of fact, contrary to what obstructors want the audience to believe (...), that it's mostly built on the works of others with multiple attempts of due recognition for genuine intellectual property.

By the way, i was recently reminded that the JAi IH Curie Pyrolyzer actually dates back to 1969. E.g. 50 years ago by now. Go figure how many more decades we need to wait for such definitive fix of an historical Victorian-age mistake: combustion!

Meanwhile what's stopping you if i may ask?

downwardsfromzero wrote:
...perhaps you would do me a favour and break things down to their absolute...

Right now the after-math of IH driven inhalation has been most deceiving in retrospective, simply take the existance of PyroFoils which remains ignored even today, directly right here for example! So, how hard would that really be to punch tiny holes in it to make such ready-made commercially-available 3rd-party susceptor ribon capable of holding 1 sticky droplet per punctuation?... Now envision Curie-alloy foams with 21 pre-set temperatures (!), but no: somehow it's more stimulating for some self-serving individuals to turn Egzoset into a topic of its own all the sudden, at the obvious cost of obstructing a legit announced topic most of the times. Which is a pityful attitude to have in any "discussion" forum IMHO.

In any case allow me to refer to this fine document published last year:

[ https:// www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/12/15/2915/htm ]

[ https:// www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/12/15/2915/pdf ]
Power Curve-Fitting Control Method with Temperature Compensation and Fast-Response for All-Metal Domestic Induction Heating Systems

That little piece of information alone tells me how much time was lost trying hard not to look. Then comes Quasi-Resonant IH driving, critical in portable applications because that's energy efficient - except if the power stage stops sticking to the ZVS model that is!...

Well, recent woes over Mazzilli modules should at least raise a few flags - it even boosted my own inspiration lately:

Nonetheless denial still proves to be a common demoninator for many enthousiasts instead. Steady as she goes: "it works" they said!

Hence i'm sorry to inform you my favours bag kind of feels empty at the moment, considering all trends appear to go in the opposite direction. Feel free to invite an exchange on All About Circuits or EEVBlog Electronics Community where i also have access as a registered member.

downwardsfromzero wrote:
...step-by-step basics so that a simpleton such as me could grasp it...

M'well Egzoset ain't in any business and not even that of pushing publications, go figure if i'm tempted by more formal education - not to mention i'm no nany and i don't expect to live forever (and neither does anyone else)!! I'm not stopping you.

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Please let's ALL remember to be constructive here...

It's a pleasure to notice someone finally values this constant of all Egzoset things.

cubeananda
#17 Posted : 7/30/2020 10:04:04 PM

jai

Rolling eyes

All the things considered, yer still technically burning the dabs at that temp if you want terps to vape, if im not mistaken.

*weed snob intensifies*

Egzoset
#18 Posted : 7/31/2020 7:41:12 AM

Vaporist of Borg

...and i'm still waiting for a simple answer for some reason:

WHAT TEMPERATURE AMONG 21 PYROFOILs SEEMS MOST DESIRABLE??

Beside a 26 sec. thermalization phase in cigarettes/"joints"...