We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is there Ca-Bufotenate? Options

Brennendes Wasser
#1 Posted : 7/4/2020 12:52:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

A problem while performing Bufotenine extractions is an instability of Bufotenine in high pH media. It seems it gets destroyed in very alkaline conditions, while being rendered inactive. It is always just labeled as some Oxidation process and this may only occur to the phenolic OH. What I could think of would be the following reaction:

Here you can see: The phenolic proton is "acidic" with a pKs of ~ 10 and can be deprotonated by strong bases. This requires a more alkaline environment than the regular freebasing step of the amine - which is pH 9-10 for most alkaloids. Using very strong bases like NaOH is therefore not advised when handling Bufotenine, as it will most likely destroy the compound, hence every TEK recommends to only use soda (Na2CO3).

Now across the internet you can find some quotations of "Calcium-Bufotenate". This would be a salt formed when deprotonating the phenolic OH in conjunction with the counter ion Calcium. In theory one would easily achieve this by a reaction of 2x H-Bufotenine and 1x Ca(OH)2 (= Lime) and then evaporating the 2x H2O to give Bufotenine-Ca-Bufotenine aka. Calcium-Bufotenate:

Ca(OH)2 is exactly inbetween Na2CO3 and NaOH in terms of base strength. Therefore it should be strong enough to convert the phenol, but not as strong to cause immediate decomposition, like NaOH is reported to do. Here is some stuff that you can find about it while browsing the nexus or other sites:

69ron wrote:
The problem with using calcium hydroxide is that if left to react for too long,
it alters the bufotenine making it inactive by vaporization, thereby ruining your extract.
If only reacted for a few minutes, it just freebases it, and all is well. However,
the intermediate reaction between freebasing and ruining your bufotenine,
is an extremely nice compound, much better than bufotenine, DMT, etc.
It is the best psychedelic SWIM knows of, but unfortunately to make it requires
that the reaction time be just right. Too little time and the bufotenine is just freebased,
too much time and your bufotenine can no longer be vaporized. I don’t know the optimal time to use.
SWIM tried many tests and could not find a time frame that always worked. What he knows is that
24 hours is too long and converts the bufotenine into a non-vaporizable compound. 15 minutes is
not enough and just freebases it. The time needed is somewhere between 2-6 hours, and seems to
vary every time. The safest reaction time is 2 hours. That seems not to be enough time to get to
the third reaction stage. And if it doesn’t work, and just freebases the bufotenine, and then you
can do another 2 hours and it will usually work.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PLAYING AROUND WITH THIS REACTION. When the calcium hydroxide reaction hits stage 2,
the results are nothing short of amazing. But when it hits stage 3 your fucked. So don’t do the reaction
with all of your bufotenine. That’s why SWIM doesn’t use calcium hydroxide for extractions, and uses sodium
carbonate instead. With sodium carbonate there’s no worry about ruining your entire extract, but with
calcium hydroxide there is. I think probably sodium hydroxide would have similar reactions with bufotenine
so it also shouldn’t be used for extraction.

The product of the stage 2 reaction with calcium hydroxide is smokeable, about 1/2 the potency of bufotenine,
has the same duration of effects (2-3 hours), the same onset of effects (2-5 minutes), and same peak (10-15 minutes).
It’s visuals are of a completely different character. It’s more DMT-like, but much nicer than DMT.
It’s extremely euphoric, up there with mescaline in that respect, and completely without side effects.
It has a much milder feel on the body compared with bufotenine. It feels like an entirely different compound.
It’s actually SWIM’s favorite psychedelic (bufotenine is his next), but since it has no name and it’s structure
is unknown, SWIM doesn’t refer to it normally when talking about psychedelics. It is without the “mind fuck” of DMT,
but visually almost identical.

When Yopo is made properly, the effect you get is from this stage 2 compound. It’s very DMT-like,
and you might easily mistake it for DMT, except that the duration is 2-3 hours even when smoked and
it lacks the “mind fuck” of DMT. Also you feel “grounded” with this compound whereas with DMT you can
feel disoriented. It’s like a friendlier version of DMT. I think most people would prefer it over DMT.
SWIM has given some to other friends and they all liked it more than DMT. However, that’s not the case
with bufotenine. Some people like it, some don’t, and some people don’t get much visual effects from it.
SWIM likes them both very much, but prefers the unknown stage 2 compound. It’s more visual and far more
euphoric, and feels more body friendly.

On Erowid you will find a post reagrding how to produce it:

- Dissolve Bufotenine in a minimal amount of IPA
- Add the same amount of water
- Add some Ca(OH)2
- Let it sit for 2-6 h
- Evaporate everything
- Extract Ca-Bufotenate with Acetone, evaporate

On the other hand you can read the post by Entropy Mancer, which states that it should be impossible to form it: Ca(OH)2 does not dissolve in water and therefore both compounds will never be in the same phase in contact. This will practically render the reaction speed to 0, making any reaction impossible.

Now I tried to reproduce this myself:

50 mg Bufotenine + 39 mg of Ca(OH)2

In theory to fully transform 50 mg Bufotenine to Ca-Bufotenate, you will need 9 mg of Ca(OH)2 = 0,5 mole : 1 mole Bufo

Now by conducting the procedure mentioned above, one should get a leftover of 30 mg Ca(OH)2, IF Ca-Bufotenate is formed and IF it is soluble in Acetone.
If Ca-Bufotenate is formed, but not soluble in Acetone, then there should be a leftover of 89 mg after the Acetone pull in the end.
IF no Ca-Bufotenate is formed, then 50 mg of Bufotenine should be dissolved, leaving behind 39 mg of Ca(OH)2 after the Acetone pull in the end.

So I let it stirr for 5 h with just a minimal amount of IPA + Water. Afterwards evaporating everything only granted 69 mg in sum, even though the initial material was 50+39=89 mg. The lost 20 mg are exactly the amount of water, that is created upon combining 2x H+ with 2x OH-, evaporated as 2x H2O for every 1x Ca(OH)2.

I threw Acetone on it, stirred it for 10 minutes and evaporated the Acetone.

Weight:

Residue, not dissolved by Acetone = 60 mg
Residue, dissolved by Acetone = 8 mg

If no reaction happened, then ~ 50 mg of Bufotenine should be removed by Acetone, which it wasn't obviously.
IF Ca-Bufotenate formed and is indeed soluble in Acetone, then only 30 mg should be left over. No real answer to be given here ...

Now I placed both samples in water (what Acetone pulled over and what it left back) -> nothing dissolved
So either Ca-Bufotenate is not water soluble or no reaction happened (Bufotenine is only slightly soluble in water and Ca(OH)2 nearly not at all).

Evaporation:

My freebase Bufotenine that was used melts at ~ 104 °C (literature says 146 °C, still I can confirm I have pure Bufotenine) and starts evaporation at 180 °C. So by throwing both the Acetone-soluble and Acetone-insoluble samples on a hot plate and measuring the Temperature with a IR-Thermometer, I thought I may compare that new stuff's phase transition with pure Bufotenine.

But there is NO phase change. Even at 400 °C the stuff just remains brown powder. Not even a slightest hint to fumes. Then I torched it with a lighter from ~ 3 cm distance. The flame is at max 1200 °C and the samples just started to glow, not releasing any fumes nor melting.

IF Ca-Bufotenate is formed, it seems to have an insanely high melting point / vaporization temperature.
IF no Ca-Bufotenate formed, then of course the Ca(OH)2 has an insanely high melting point, indeed it decomposes instead as per Wikipedia. But still this remainder should consist of mostly Bufotenine and if the Ca(OH)2 inside of that sample is not melting, then the Bufotenine should definetly make any macroscopic change visible.

Left: both samples from that "Ca-Bufotenate conversion", left: Acetone soluble, right: Acetone non-soluble remainder
Middle: Torching the non-soluble remainder with a Butane flame. No visible degradation, just glowing
Right: Mixture of Bufotenine + Ca(OH)2 powder, starting to melt at 105 °C+

So in summary:

Sadly no clue what happened. I cant conform that a new compound was formed that is soluble in Acetone - only 8 mg of theoretically 59 mg was dissolved in Acetone.

But also in case there was no reaction and both Bufotenine and Ca(OH)2 are still present as monomolecular, separate compounds, then there should be a distinct temperature where you can observe the Bufotenine melting and evaporating.

To proove this I just mixed 10 mg Bufotenine and 10 mg Ca(OH)2 and mixed it to a homogeneous mixture. Now I placed it on a hot plate and the Bufotenine starts melting at 105 °C+ and it turns dark after 160 °C+ while releasing fumes.

So there must have been a conversion somehow, but whatever came out, it did not show the reported properties of a hypothetical Calcium-Bufotenate and it is not smokable.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

mooai
#2 Posted : 7/4/2020 3:44:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't have much to add on the science but I'm interested in this as well. Last time working with yopo I mixed it all at once with calcium hydroxide and it ended up all destroyed, totally inactive. I did try a few hits of it at around the 2 hour mark and it was fantastic. I had smoked the seeds straight and there was body load and not many visuals even with multiple seeds torched. After about 2 hours with the lime just like ron said, a lot like DMT visuals but felt a lot less scary and more pleasant. I didn't smoke much only a few hits and was surprised at how much it hit me, when I wanted to smoke more I tried more from the same batch but found it was all now inactive and smoked the entire rest of the batch (50 seeds or so?) with no effects or barely any.

Once I mixed water, lime, and toasted ground yopo I got a very clear ammonia smell coming off my container. I still need to try with just washing soda and see if ammonia smell is there again but I think it's likely the lime causes some reaction.

I'm still trying to work out how to separate all the actives from the lime as soon as it's done before it gets destroyed. Maybe neutralize with vinegar, boil down, and then basify that with ammonia or sodium carbonate? I want to use all food safe if possible.

dragonrider
#3 Posted : 7/4/2020 4:12:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, this is interesting.

But i have an old batch of yopo mixed with lime, and the last time i touched it, it was still active. Sublingually that is.

So the destruction of the molecule would happen when attempting to vaporise it then, i guess.

mooai
#4 Posted : 7/7/2020 5:16:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
Wow, this is interesting.

But i have an old batch of yopo mixed with lime, and the last time i touched it, it was still active. Sublingually that is.

So the destruction of the molecule would happen when attempting to vaporise it then, i guess.

Yeah it just happened again actually. Just got some more seeds (vilca, colubrina kind rather than yopo peregrina this time) and they're way more potent. 1 or 2 seeds not even freebased can give me substantial visuals. I learned from last time and tried only 10 seeds toasted then mixed with lime and water. Tried smoking like 5 seeds worth and no effect not even body load. Smoked 1 seed raw/whole and instantly got the classic bufo body load and bufo vibes. Maybe I toasted too long or toasted when drying too much but I think it was probably the lime. I'm going to try washing soda tonight instead as ron who experimented a lot said that didn't react with bufo. ron was adamant about there being some chemical transformation happening while jamie disagreed. well i keep destroying it anyway so im just gonna use some washing soda now and maybe experiment with lime later.

im not going to try the inactive product sublingually because im not ready for that yet still dipping my toes in bufo space. maybe it is still active only sublingually. smoking is quite nice and easy to handle dont want it to get too intense.

Edit: got the seeds in with sodium carbonate right now. i just noticed this also appears to give off that ammonia smell mentioned by 69ron and others which i have noticed from pickling lime too. i mixed just sodium carbonate with water to make sure it wasn't just the smell of that and no it appears to be some reaction between the sodium carbonate and the seeds. sodium carbonate max PH is 11.6 and calcium hydroxide is 12.5 so maybe it's still high enough to do the destroying. i don't know if that's what the ammonia smell indicates

Phenethylamine23
#5 Posted : 11/6/2023 9:20:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:

So I let it stirr for 5 h with just a minimal amount of IPA + Water. Afterwards evaporating everything only granted 69 mg in sum, even though the initial material was 50+39=89 mg. Straaaange ok, I have no idea what happened, I could not scrape everything perfectly and this makes weight changes drastically when doing mg-scale samples, but there was not much still hanging on the container, maybe only 1-2 mg, therefore I have no clue where that other stuff is. Also I evaporated at 75 °C, so Bufotenine can't be fanned off. Let's just assume it is 69 mg in the same composition as the initial 89 mg.

I seen this on another website which might explain the missing 20mg.

another website wrote:
Calcium bufotenate.
However this is only formal because in water Ca(OH)2 cannot exist just as Ca(ODMT)2 cannot exist. They both are salts which ionize in water to form the separated positive and negative part. Ca2+ OH- and DMT-O- (that last - is a minus) are ions, charged incomplete parts which compose salts if the water is removed. CaODMT is absolutely wrong because Ca is 2+ and ODMT / DMT-O is 1-, they have to add up so 2 DMT-O's are neccessary for every Calcium: Ca(ODMT)2 is therefor correct. It can indeed be produced by adding Ca(OH)2 or CaO to water and 5-HO-DMT. A part of 5-HO-DMT in water breaks down to H+ (or H3O+) and DMT-O- , the H3O+ will meet the OH- and change into water which is of course lost in the whole body of water. Upon evaporation, Ca(ODMT)2 is obtained.

https://bluelight.org/xf...s-out-there.61866/page-4

Could it be the missing 20mg is the water created during the chemical reaction and was evaporated?

Brennendes Wasser
#6 Posted : 11/6/2023 11:48:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Aaaah great that is exactly the missing link! Ca(OH)2 is ~ 52 % Ca2+. So when doing the math, from 39 mg of Ca(OH)2 there should be 19 mg lost upon combination and evaporation ... so ... 20 mg lost is just about that Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Great thanks for the hint and now corrected it upwards in that text.

Phenethylamine23
#7 Posted : 11/7/2023 11:41:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Perplexing. The conclusion drawn from your experiment is that the bufotenine is somehow destroyed by the conversion method and also that it doesn't vaporize, yet it's contrary to multitude of reports of extractions being conducted this way from yopo seeds with active substance being yielded and vaporized. All this even though your experiment closely as possible replicates the original steps taken. I am perplex as you are.

The only difference I can think of is that the original extracting and basification also included the alot of the water soluble plant molecules and lipids, plus a whole bunch of hydrochloric acids.

Does the combination of 2x H+ with 2x OH- and loss of 20mg in evaporation mean that the calcium hydroxide and bufotenine conversion took place?

Also I'm wondering, if sodium carbonate was used instead of calcium hydroxide, as it regularly is in freebase extractions, would it not likewise form a sodium bufotenine salt, as [Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 is the disodium salt of carbonic acid with alkalinizing property. When dissolved in water, sodium carbonate forms carbonic acid and sodium hydroxide]. So there is the same hydroxide and sodium in place of calcium.
I wonder what would happen if the same experiment was conducted using sodium carbonate.

This debate has been ongoing for over 10 years on the internet drug forums and the science is still not settled, as far as I can tell. I want to know what is being extracted using calcium hydroxide and what is being vaporized... what further experiments are needed to finally settle the science?

Also is this a typo in your orignial post. The word permitted. Should it read unpermitted?
Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Using very strong bases like NaOH is therefore permitted when handling Bufotenine, as it will most likely destroy the compound, hence every TEK recommends to only use soda (Na2CO3).

Brennendes Wasser
#8 Posted : 11/7/2023 5:57:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

No it is not destroyed within the conversion method, but it simply does not vaporize. If you heat it, it cannot vaporize, so you would use more and more heat and then ultimately it is destroyed, instead of giving off psychoactive vapor, that could be inhaled.

People who create a snuff that should at the end representate Ca Bufotenate could indeed be snorted and have psychoactive effects. I am just pretty sure that the "real" compound Ca Bufotenate cannot vaporize, which I think makes sense regarding its chemical nature. If people have smoked that snuff then getting vapor is still quite plausible, as it still contains all sorts of other things, that could be vaped. And it could be even psychoactive, as maybe a portion of Bufotenine is still in its freebase state and will vaporize. But when going 100 % pure it will not give any vapor and just be destroyed upon further heating.

Quote:
Does the combination of 2x H+ with 2x OH- and loss of 20mg in evaporation mean that the calcium hydroxide and bufotenine conversion took place?

I mean there was no advanced analysis done, but everything looked exactly like the conversion happened just as it should be. The weight change is now exact the water that should be lost. Also from solubility it acts exactly as I would assume (not soluble in water or acetone).

Quote:
Also I'm wondering, if sodium carbonate was used instead of calcium hydroxide, as it regularly is in freebase extractions, would it not likewise theoretically form a sodium bufotenine salt?
As [Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 is the disodium salt of carbonic acid with alkalinizing property. When dissolved in water, sodium carbonate forms carbonic acid and sodium hydroxide].
So there is the same hydroxide and sodium in place of calcium.
I wonder what would happen if the same experiment was conducted using sodium carbonate.

Here something different would happen: The base CO3 (2-) is not strong enough to react with Bufotenine in terms of Bufo-OH --> Bufo-O(-).
So the maximum reaction that could take place is conversion of Bufotenine(H+) --> Freebase Bufotenine, uncharged.

That is even desired in the TEKs here, as people have claimed (although no verification given) that Bufotenine would degrade at very high pH. At very high pH the only possible reaction pathway (although maybe triggering a cascade of other stuff, also discussed in this first post) would be the deprotonation. So for my TEK the goal was to NOT trigger this reaction, although no idea if that really leads to Bufotenine degradation over time.
In any way I have a true reason to not go with a strong base, because it will make Bufotenine insoluble in Aceton (as Bufotenine-O(-) instead of Bufotenine-OH) and my TEK was designed to extract with Aceton. So definetly Na2CO3 has to be used, to not over-deprotonate the Bufo salt. Also Freebase Bufotenine definetly evaporates, as seen here, but Bufo Benzoate works much better.

Quote:
This debate has been ongoing for over 10 years on the internet drug forums and the science is still not settled, as far as I can tell. I want to know what is being extracted using calcium hydroxide and what is being vaporized... what further experiments are needed to finally settle the science?

An easy proof to check if Calcium Bufotenate CAN be vaporized is to extract PURE Bufo, convert with PURE Ca(OH)2 and then deploy this sample to a Thermogravimetric Analysis. This will heat the sample and check if it gets less weight AKA evaporates. If it truly does not give off fumes (which is exactly what I saw) the weight should remain pretty constant at ~ 90-100 °C until 400 °C and then it would just disintegrate like any other molecule due to pyrolysis.

But I am now done with all my experimental stuff and probably will stop all activities so I tend to not buy or analyze anything anymore Embarrased

Alternatively people could just place 30 mg of this compound on a 1 g microscope glass slide, place it on a hot plate at 250 °C for 5 min, breath strongly with air over it and then afterwards record the weight. If you still have > 20 + 1000 mg then you can be sure this is nothing that can be evaporated, hence be used as a psychedelic drug for smoking. If weight is at < 10 + 1000 mg I would say it could vaporize strong enough to get a true psychedelic effect.

Quote:
Also is this a typo in your orignial post. The word permitted. Should it read unpermitted?

Aaaaah yes I'm no native speaker and I thought permitted means forbidden Twisted Evil Twisted Evil corrected now.

Still I have to say I took that information (Bufotenine degrades at higher than pH 12) directly from Bluelight and 69ron. Still, I dont know if there has ever been a proof for this. I tried to get some insights into this here, but found no true conclusion.