We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa jitters Options

bismillah
#1 Posted : 5/19/2020 3:05:23 PM

My Personalized Tag

A couple days ago, I drank a 3g rue tea followed by a 5g mimosa tea, which resulted in a visually mild but very enlightening state of mind. I think about an hour to 1½ hours after drinking the yummy,yummy mimosa juice, I started getting pretty intense tremors all over my body. If I really focused hard it was possible to quiet my body but this resulted in a lot of discomfort. It also felt really good to just give in and exert myself... like grabbing my desk and squeezing it as hard as I could was the most relieving thing ever.

I didn't feel scared this time around but I wonder if larger doses could bring about a seizure. These brews are quite hard on the nervous system, logically. People usually report being either paralyzed for the duration of the trip, or moving around too much to notice spasms.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Hailstorm
#2 Posted : 5/20/2020 5:21:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Yes, jitters are one of the (less common) symptoms. I have never read about seizures on DMT.

Jagube
#3 Posted : 5/20/2020 10:29:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There have been threads on here about jolts and brain zaps and someone has suggested that they are indeed localized seizures, but I'm not sure how conclusive that was.

With MHRB those seem to be common. With the traditional plants they're rather uncommon. Also on the very few occasions I have drunk MHRB extracted with vegetable oil I haven't experienced them.

doubledog
#4 Posted : 5/20/2020 5:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have these tremors on any dose of dmt, sometimes also on psilocybin and really love it, it is extremely pleasant, extatic body feeling.

I consider it as a main direct effect of ayahuasca, and always spent lot of minutes during session in heavy shaking. Big grin

It can produce a lot of noise, not ideal for group sessions Big grin

tregar
#5 Posted : 5/25/2020 12:39:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bismillah, be safe...& thanks for sharing...the physical side effects you speak of with mimosa are more prominent in combination with Caapi rather than rue, as Caapi contains not only rima's but SSRI (selective serotonin recuptake inhibitor, 2nd highest ingredient) synopsis below. Acacia contains NMT sometimes in large amounts that can really clash with caapi. Serotonin Syndrome (combining rima's (rue & caapi) & ssri's (caapi) with traces of maoi's found in barks, or with NMT found in acacia) is no fun: cold sweats, severe anxiety, look it up...it can become serious, and take a while to subside. This is why have dreamed only Hawaiian psychotria nearly 70 times with caapi, no physical weird side effects, very traditional and safe, but more expensive than rue by far. Psychotria is used by the UDV, Santo Daime, Benny Shanon (over 250 times) in his book "Antipodes of the Mind", and the Shuar Indian.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=82030

See post #7

Part 4: Admixture Leaf (traditional) vs admixture bark (non-traditional)

In conclusion: "differing view points" in the literature: Julian Palmer talks about his experiences with traditional vs. non-traditional Ayahuasca in his book "Articulations, On the Utilization and Meaning of Psychedelics", very down to earth book written by an Australian expert (brilliant writer as well) with over 20 years experience...in chapter 4 he covers "Ayahuasca". Benny Shanon covers his 250 plus experiences with "traditional" Caapi + psychotria Ayahuasca in his book "Antipodes of the Mind".

One last quick closing note: True Ayahuasca is caapi and psychotria and chaliponga only. Shaman's don't use barks but only traditional leaf as the additive for the "light" side. Barks have additional maoi trace ingredients that can clash with the rima's in caapi, causing possible weird physical symptoms and anxiety, stick with leaf only for true Ayahuasca. UDV and Santo Daime, Shuar Indian, Benny Shannon use only traditional psychotria only, and not even chaliponga which is more difficult and only recommended for very advanced Shamans. Psychotria is anxiety free, very safe and traditional. Be safe.

Current research reveals yuremamine (which is found in mimosa and acacia) is an mao inhibitor, and should not be combined therefore with caapi or even rue in dreams:

Quote:
intramolecular hydrogen bonding of the tertiary aliphatic nitrogen of yuremamine protects it from metabolism and could allow it to act as an inhibitor of MAO, thus facilitating the oral activity of DMT in this single-plant formulation. Presently the putative pharmacology of purified yuremamine is unknown.

Full document on yuremamine:
https://catbull.com/alam...%20New%20Phytoindole.pdf
hxxps://catbull.com/alamut/Bibliothek/Isolation%20and%20Characterization%20of%20Yuremamine,%20a%20New%20Phytoindole.pdf

The one time swim dreamed with bark, did not like it, stomach felt sick for 2 hours, the taste was terrible, anxiety, found it dark/unpleasant with underground type visions: devils & fangs so avoided after that one unpleasant time, it was way different from using psychotria--which always felt 100% safe & non-toxic, streamlined, nice and very pleasant, immense love, no anxiety either...visions with leaf were divine, heavenly.

More on various bark vs. leaf:
Dzikus:
Quote:
Chacruna and Chaliponga are similar in effects, usually bright and colorful. Both have a long history of indigenous use as admixtures to Ayahuasca. Chacruna is the kindest of them all. Chaliponga contains 5-MeO-DMT as well as N,N-DMT. Her visions are somewhat fuzzier, but the effects seem to last longer, and the afterglow is more pronounced. Jurema contains some other stuff not well known, which some call "jungle DMT". It is sinister and scary, much about devils and death. Her visions are of subterranean worlds- hell, caves, underground tunnels.

69Ron:
Quote:
SWIM has more consistent results from Hawaiian Psychotria viridis. Hawaiian Psychotria viridis is less toxic compared to Mimosa. Mimosa has a lot of tannins and other junk you don’t want to ingest. Most people find Psychotria more pleasant and less toxic feeling that Mimosa.

For ayahuasca, P. viridis is much better. The trip is smoother, less toxic feeling. SWIM always prefers P. viridis over M. hostilis. The effects are cleaner, friendlier, and just plain better. There’s something about M. hostilis that makes it feel darker, more toxic.

A caapi only brew is sometimes recommended as your first experience. Harmine and tetrahydroharmine are the main active alkaloids in caapi, and when taken together without admixture plant, they alone can cause visions, but they are dark, daydream-like, and not as vivid as those had when an admixture plant source is added. Admixture greatly enhances the visual effects of harmine and harmaline, and also introduces “psychedelic” alterations to the thought processes. Admixture makes the experience much more intense, and can also make the experience more frightening for a first time user, especially if the dose is high enough.

My recommendation for a first time experience is to use a weak brew made using chacruna and caapi and nothing else. Don't use mimosa, and don't use chaliponga. Chacruna gives a much friendlier experience than either mimosa or chaliponga. Chaliponga is often recommended for experienced users only.

Seriously, don’t use mimosa. There is no such thing as Ayahuasca made with mimosa. The natives do not use mimosa for making Ayahuasca. There must be a good reason they don’t use it in Ayahuasca. Ayahuasca made with mimosa feels quite toxic to SWIM, and is probably not good for you. That’s probably why they don’t use it. When SWIM uses mimosa in ayahuasca he feels tense, gets lots of stomach problems, and feels some unusual toxic effects that are hard to describe. It just doesn’t feel healthy to SWIM. SWIM has decided to never use ayahuasca made with mimosa. He thinks possibly liver damage or something worse may be the result of using mimosa in ayahuasca too often. There are no long term studies of users of mimosa based ayahuasca around to show that it’s safe. There are such studies for ayahuasca made with chacruna and chaliponga showing that long term use is safe.

I think once you've had enough experience with ayahuasca made with chacruna and ayahuasca made with mimosa, you'll notice just how much more toxic a mimosa based ayahuasca feels, and you’re likely going to stop using it and switch to brews made with chacruna.

I think listening to the body is important. Mimosa in Ayahuasca doesn't feel healthy.

As for the natives who use mimosa, they don't use it with any MAOI, and their habit has not been extensively studied.

Most people use mimosa because it's cheaper, and when they are given real ayahuasca made with chacruna, most of them make the switch to it because it feels much healthier. That’s been SWIM’s experience with the people he knows.

Mimosa is cheap. People use it because it's cheap. Same with rue. People use rue because it’s cheap.

There are many shamans who have the internet now and know about how cheap mimosa is and have tried it. So your reasoning behind why they do not use mimosa in ayahuasca only applies to shamans living in the jungle. Other shamans who know about mimosa still do not use it in ayahuasca because their followers in general prefer ayahuasca made with chacruna. It feels better for the body and has a long history of safe use.

I’m willing to bet that long term use of ayahuasca made with mimosa will cause liver damage or some other health problems. It feels that toxic to SWIM.

shroomdoom:
Quote:
I prefer Chacruna by far to Mimosa which consistently produces a rougher more confusing experience. Let's just say this I would rather be deep in and fully immersed ( complete with throbbing machine/wave vibration noise...you know the one) in a wall of visions from Chacruna any day than M hostilis.

The content of my experiences from Mimosa has been largely negative and much more confusing/disorienting. First of all I hate to brew it because it's got too much tannins and it's nasty to digest. Then Mimosa seems to be this wily, semi-malevolent character that is happy to kick your ass in an overt way. I feel like drinking brews with mimosa induce a savage and jubilant eating of my psyche with this purple, green, red and golden parade to accompany.

The first difference I notice to Chacruna, I feel more disoriented and fearful from my mimosa brews and the anxiety level is high. I have seen other people react even more extremely negatively than myself to mimosa and rue preparations; a girl screaming vocalizations that sound inhuman, a guy having involuntary and violent spasms that resemble breakdancing of some sort, a grown man in his 30s unhinged so bad he was afraid to be in the dark alone in the 3 weeks after his experience. I have seen enough repeated negative reactions dealing with Mimosa and companion plants to not want to ever work with it again in my brews or recommend it to anyone. I don't know if it's the companion alkaloids or the high amount of tannins ect but something about that stuff isn't nice.

Also for me it has nothing to do with high vs low DMT content effecting the quality of the experience. I have Hawaiian Chacruna of legendary potency that works at roughly the same gram amounts as m. hostilis bark. I just don't like that Jurema in my Ayahuasca. Call it personal preference.

Jixe:
Quote:
I wouldn't mix acacia with ayahuasca vine (caapi) It's not a good idea in my experience and from seeing others especially with trouble breathing, this is why actually just mix aya vine and the chacruna or chali.

Atheio (4 years ago):
Quote:
Be careful with acacia confusa, it has another alkaloid called NMT. Which MHRB does not have, and AFAIK it's been connected to bad experiences.

TheAppleCore:
Quote:
Definitely go with the chacruna (psychotria viridis).

There are a few reasons that mimosa hostilis is not ideal for a newcomer to ayahuasca. Firstly, p. viridis is essentially nontoxic, whereas m. hostilis has toxins that increase the likelihood of overdose, or at least a highly unpleasant experience (I have been there, due to careless brewing, and yes it is *horrible*). Secondly, m. hostilis is known as having a very harsh and unforgiving "spirit", whereas chacruna is generally considered to have more of a gentle and maternal spirit. Thirdly, chacruna has a very long history of traditional use in ayahuasca brews, and has a very good safety track record, whereas we are currently unsure of potential long-term health ramifications of m. hostilis as an aya admixture.
swimmingdancer:
Quote:
There are all sorts of alkaloids and various other compounds in the plants. One alkaloid that I know has been isolated in mimosa hostilis is yuremamine. There is not much yet known about yuremamine, it represents an entirely new family of indole derivatives (tryptophan, the precursor of serotonin is an indole as well). Yuremamine also contains DMT within its molecular structure. It has been suggested that perhaps one of yuremamine's properties might be that it acts as an MAOI or a prodrug, because mimosa has been found to be orally active while DMT on its own is not.

Becometheother (9/25/2016):
Quote:
Some of the exact same stuff I just said above is 100 percent echoed here, which I think adds some weight to what I said. Right down to the visions of darkness and hell! And I have never read this thread before..

Is is a pretty well known generality within the aya community that aya is lighter and more gentle on the body and mind then rue.

Rue mimosa for me is a fiery experience that also seems very masculine. Visions of fire and even the underworld come into being. Intense primordial energies are encountered. Feelings of actually being poisoned come up. The visions for me lead to words the darker. I met a spirit that appeared in the dress of a witch doctor and stared face to face with me but his eyes were only empty sockets. He followed me around the rest of the experience.

Ayahuasca is much lighter and airy, much more the upper than the lower world. More feminine. For example on traditional vine and leaf aya, I saw a vision of a diverse group of humans holding hands in a giant circle dancing together to the rhythm of a very nice song that I can actually remember the melody of. Then I experienced the pure love of the universe, nothing but pure love, and was told I am always loved and never to give into fear cause I have love.

I had a journey to a sub aquatic realm where my friend appeared to be some kind of octopus and I had grippy water visuals and sounds all night.

Although themes and content may change, that much is consistent aya is compared to the air the water female light. Mimosa rue, compared to heavy earth fire masculine. Also from a less spiritual and more practical standpoint rue mimosa IS harsher on the body by a long shot.

It may sound like I am saying aya is better, I am not, I actually have the most experience with rue and mimosa and often gravitate tword fire and darkness Smile

I'm not inferring there is subtle differences I'm outright saying the differences are huge. And not just related to chemistry, I'm talking about the whole package.

How many times have you used aya and how many times with acacia rue? I think it's relevant if you don't mind answering.

Also I'm really curious on others perspective, if not I know I could dig up some old mimosa vs aya threads.
All is in good spirit though, in the end we are more similar then different and at least we have in common that we are passionate about these substances and mysticism.

Yogashaman21:
Quote:
I had a horrible experience with mimosahuasca (ayahuasca vine + mimosa hostilis) brew ten days ago.

As soon as it kicked in I just kept hearing voices and felt literally like my body was made of rubber it was such a sickly feeling and my heart was gripped in anxiety and fear and I felt myself descending downwards the whole time while entities were mocking me and sneering at me. And it lasted for about 5 hours. I've been having psychic and mental difficulties since then because of it.

I feel really sad, because I was sure that ayahuasca and mimosa would become a beneficial spiritual ally for me. But elsewhere on this forum I read that mimosa is completely unloving and aggressive and indifferent to humans, and that it is not compatible with the ayahuasca path. If that is the case, then maybe I could try again in like a month but with chagraponga instead of mimosa. I really wanted Ayahuasca to become a spiritual guide to me, so that I can transcend my fears and sickness and become more spiritually enlightened.

Maybe Ayahuasca vine with chagraponga will be a totally different experience. I am going to try that out eventually and hopefully it will be a better experience. My previous experience with vine and mimosa just sent me spiraling downwards into a realm of confusion and fear; I did not receive any healing from it, nor did I learn anything. It just seems like a big garbled mess, like a 5-hour long computer error.thanks for reading.

medchemist (April 25, 2011)
from Ayahuasca.com "what are Ayahuasca analogues" comments after the main paper:
Quote:
To this discussion I will add a cautionary word of advice regarding P. harmala and Mimosa hostilis admixtures. I used a tea prepared from exactly 3.0g Syrian Rue seeds and 3.0 – 6.0g jeruma on a fairly regular basis some 5 years ago. My friend also participated in these experiences with me. The tea was prepared by three consecutive extractions of the two plant materials mixed together in the ratio stated. The solvent was 1/4 lemon juice water, and the temperature was just at the point of a light boil for all three extractions. Plant material was removed by filtration through a white cotton t-shirt in every case. The experiences from this teas decoction are unequaled by anything I have ever known in my life.

Unfortunately, following about a half a year of using this tea about twice per month on average, I developed drug-induced hepatitis, bloody urine, and grey stools. A visit to the doctor revealed that my liver AST and ALT levels were through the roof. My firend also had this same result. After cessation of tea consumption, we both returned to normal health. I cannot say whether it was the jerume, the rue, or both plants that caused this, and there were no other drugs in the equation in either my case or my friend’s case. I am no a pharmaceutical scientist, and I cannot find any systematic studies that have been done on the various admixtures of ayahuasca that prove or discount liver/kidney toxicity.

However, i would urge anyone who is thinking about traveling the sweet road of ayahuasca visions to take care to avoid jeruma and syrian rue. Again, I do not know that the vine and chacruna are any easier on the liver, but I can say for certain that in two different cases, frequent use of rue and jeruma is a road to hepatotoxicity. I would also think that those who are already hepatocompromised should avoid rue and jeruma at all costs. I dislike that this is the case, because I loved the stuff, but I think there needs to be strong scientific evidence that ayahuasca is not systemically toxic.

Unfortunately, such evidence is lacking at this writing. Try the vine and chacruna if you must, but be careful even then, and make sure you get check ups and bloodwork from your doctor to ensure that your liver and kidneys are not being compromised. For my part, I regard either rue or jeruma as unacceptably toxic. Tread with caution folks, and stay free.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

bismillah
#6 Posted : 5/25/2020 2:36:02 PM

My Personalized Tag

Tregar,

I have noticed my mimosa experiences to, on the whole (extracted and tea) to be harsher and more unloving than people tend to describe. However, I find this to be an incredibly useful aspect of the plant. Even during this last trip I described in the OP, the idea of death and mortality came up. But it was different than earlier experiences—I felt ready for it, and quickly calmed myself when it did come up. It's almost like mimosa won't come with love and beauty to spare; it forces you to find it yourself.

A harsh teacher is still a teacher. In any case, nothing else seems to be available here in Ontario Big grin

On the physical side of things, I don't think liver toxicity is a need for concern, as I partake in moderation. But good to know that it could be a possibility nonetheless.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

tregar
#7 Posted : 5/25/2020 2:51:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well said bismillah, keep up the good work. Like you avatar.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

lsrvnt
#8 Posted : 7/1/2020 5:30:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bismillah wrote:
A couple days ago, I drank a 3g rue tea followed by a 5g mimosa tea, which resulted in a visually mild but very enlightening state of mind. I think about an hour to 1½ hours after drinking the yummy,yummy mimosa juice, I started getting pretty intense tremors all over my body. If I really focused hard it was possible to quiet my body but this resulted in a lot of discomfort. It also felt really good to just give in and exert myself... like grabbing my desk and squeezing it as hard as I could was the most relieving thing ever.

I didn't feel scared this time around but I wonder if larger doses could bring about a seizure. These brews are quite hard on the nervous system, logically. People usually report being either paralyzed for the duration of the trip, or moving around too much to notice spasms.

rue I believe deserves a much more careful study than just a simple tea concoction. she comes from iran and the zoroastrian tradition and I believe she is meant to be taken in a very specific way. her energy and the energy of mimosa in my experience are total strangers. I am curious if anyone has been able too find a respectful way to enter hyperspace with these two plants. syrian rue is NEURO TOXIC. almost all medicine can be also be poison however it is definitely wise to consider the traditional methods of taking rue which I believe unless you are a mother aborting a baby you would not take in doses larger than a few drops of oil.

me and my partner had an experience with the tea very recently and she came to my lover in human form and was telling my partner about her. she came to me and taught my gut a lesson lmao.

she deserves extreme respect because she is very strong.

I highly doubt the mimosa is the root of your tremmors (no pun intended)

ShamensStamen
#9 Posted : 7/1/2020 8:29:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Again, Rue is not toxic. I ask myself repeatedly why people think/feel like Rue is toxic when it's not. I have more experience with Rue than probably most people on this forum do, i take it very regularly, i let the Harmala reverse tolerance build up so that i end up getting heavy heavy Harmala dosages in me, i've taken it with Mimosa, Acacia, mushrooms, 4-ACO-DMT, even LSD once, i've never had an issue with it and never once thought that it felt toxic. It has been shown that Harmaline can be neurotoxic, but that's in extremely high dosages, iirc the study about the Harmaline being neurotoxic said they injected the equivalent of 6 grams of pure Harmaline into rats over the course of a few days or so and found it to be neurotoxic. Who in their right mind is ever going to consume 6 grams of Harmaline, much less a whole gram?

Rue is not poisonous, quite the contrary, it feels very healthy and is quite safe. Imo, it does need to be studied much more so that we can put this toxic belief to rest.

ShamensStamen
#10 Posted : 7/1/2020 8:32:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

But yes, Rue can cause tremoring, ime. I think it has to do with GABA-A inverse agonism, maybe the Harmane content if there's enough of that in the seed to do it. I found this can be counteracted, as well as the body load cleaned up very well, by the addition of something GABAergic, like Lemon Balm (through GABA Transaminase inhibition) which seems to counteract the GABA-A inverse agonism and takes away the tremoring and the rough/weird body load. I recommend 3 to 4.5 grams of dried Lemon Balm leaf made into a tea and consumed with the Rue, or with the DMT-containing plant. Works for me like a charm. DMT can cause some muscle twitching though.

bismillah
#11 Posted : 7/1/2020 8:50:06 PM

My Personalized Tag

Alright, well, here's the deal:
Rue tea: no tremors
Rue tea plus vape: mild tremors and muscle tension
Rue tea plus mimosa tea: shaking

Been a while since I've done any of these and only experimented with teas a couple times, but that's my experience so far.
Rue tea, though, is by far the more nauseating element. In fact, the nausea subsides a bit when DMT is added.

ShamensStamen
#12 Posted : 7/1/2020 10:11:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ime, when DMT is added to the Rue, the DMT brings out some of Rue's effects when Rue is at a more moderate dosage, whereas the same effects can be experienced with Rue alone in higher dosages. Similarly to how Rue in high/heavy amounts can cause one to purge, whereas a moderate dosage doesn't, but when DMT is added to a moderate dosage of Rue, it brings out the Rue's purgative properties. Definitely experienced tremoring from higher/heavier dosages of Rue on it's own, particularly in my hands.