We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Monotub stalled after 1st flush Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 6/25/2020 8:34:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm on my first bulk grow.
The substrate is coco coir, verm and a bit of coffee, and was colonized with broken-up BRF cakes.
The cakes were broken up poorly and the colonization was slow, but after just under a month I got 5 big mushrooms.

Now there are a few pins in there, but they're not growing. After harvesting those 5 mushrooms I poured some water into the tub to dunk it, but after a couple of hours little to none of it had soaked in, so I poured it off.

The temperature is around 24C (75F).

Why are the pins not growing?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

infinitynlove
#2 Posted : 6/25/2020 12:28:20 PM

Mushroom Explorer

Jagube wrote:
I'm on my first bulk grow.
The substrate is coco coir, verm and a bit of coffee, and was colonized with broken-up BRF cakes.
The cakes were broken up poorly and the colonization was slow, but after just under a month I got 5 big mushrooms.

Now there are a few pins in there, but they're not growing. After harvesting those 5 mushrooms I poured some water into the tub to dunk it, but after a couple of hours little to none of it had soaked in, so I poured it off.

The temperature is around 24C (75F).

Why are the pins not growing?

probably aborts from first flush, pull them off, dunk in cold water for 5 -10 hours and then expose to lots of fresh air exchange whilst maintaining about 90% humidity in the tub, keep temps under 80f and ensure it gets exposed to light, but not direct sun light.

The evaporation of water with fresh air exchange should make it produce primordia. It could take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to produce primordia and develop fruit again ... if it does not then it could be lack of nutrients in your sub, contamination, mycelium senility, lack of fae, to much water, to little water Smile

90% rh, fresh air exchange, light, time, and it SHOULD fruit again Smile

I hope this helps Smile

PEace inf <3
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

SynKyd
#3 Posted : 6/25/2020 3:29:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like it could be an unhealthy substrate overall, maybe post some pictures for more assistance.

At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

Jagube
#4 Posted : 6/26/2020 12:09:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys, the first flush aborts theory makes sense.

I'm dunking it in the fridge now. The substrate had shrunk and moved away from the walls, so it must have lost some water.
It doesn't really look contaminated, but we'll see.

Jagube
#5 Posted : 6/27/2020 10:19:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

OK, there seems to be a problem...

The substrate didn't really soak up much of the water over the 10 hours or so that it was dunked. I think I packed it too densely.

Now I'm thinking to break it up a bit with a knife or something to increase water absorption. Or maybe make a lot of holes with a fork.

Xt
#6 Posted : 6/27/2020 5:25:27 PM

Yeah don't pack a substrate. It should be light and airy. No need to further stress it though. You've hydrated it, so give it fruiting conditions and be patient. Don't over mist, but don't dry it out. It will fruit eventually.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

BecometheOther
#7 Posted : 6/30/2020 9:25:55 PM

metamorhpasizer

Your substrate has no nutrients. I have heard of people succeeding with coir but, why would you want to? cubensis are dung loving, you need to get ahold of some aged composted horse or cow manure. Coffee sounds like a bad idea as well creating a more acidic ph....

You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

Metta-Morpheus
#8 Posted : 6/30/2020 11:18:17 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

BecometheOther wrote:
Your substrate has no nutrients. I have heard of people succeeding with coir but, why would you want to? cubensis are dung loving, you need to get ahold of some aged composted horse or cow manure. Coffee sounds like a bad idea as well creating a more acidic ph....

I was thinking the same about the coir/verm. Both are non nutrition “fluffers” to make the sub airy.

“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Jagube
#9 Posted : 6/30/2020 11:21:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Many websites / teks say coir + verm as a good enough choice. I'm in a city, so horse manure is not easily available, but will look.

Metta-Morpheus
#10 Posted : 7/1/2020 1:14:33 AM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

I found dried composted horse poo on Amazon I think it was. It was relatively cheap.

And you are correct, I went back to my notebook that I wrote a bunch of teks and sub recipes, and I have one written down that was 50/50 coir/verm. I’m going with the coir/poo, because the poo has extra nutrition, but it seems that that should not have been your problem.

“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

SynKyd
#11 Posted : 7/1/2020 5:37:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:
Many websites / teks say coir + verm as a good enough choice. I'm in a city, so horse manure is not easily available, but will look.

You don’t need manure. It’s just a high contamination vector, and adds more risk than reward for novice growers. This site isn’t a good place to get advice for shrooms, honestly. Get an account on shroomery and just read every daily in the mush cult and getting started forums and in a month you will learn way more than any grow attempt you can make. After a month start asking questions and order your supplies.

PeaceLove
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

Jagube
#12 Posted : 7/2/2020 9:50:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks again, guys.

Now 7 small fruits have appeared in that tub, so the waiting game has paid off Thumbs up Still waiting for a 2nd flush on the other one.

Other than that, I found an internet ad from someone giving away their horse manure. I can't pick it up myself (don't have a car), but have arranged for them to deliver some to me for a small fee. So I'm going to give it a try, maybe with the APE's that are on their way.

SynKyd - I joined shroomery the other day, it's a bit overwhelming though with so many daily posts.

SynKyd
#13 Posted : 7/3/2020 6:57:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Pasteurization is the thing with manure, start searching there, good luck!

Jagube
#14 Posted : 7/3/2020 11:18:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

infinitynlove wrote:
probably aborts from first flush, pull them off

I did remove them, but what would have happened if I hadn't?

SynKyd wrote:
Pasteurization is the thing with manure, start searching there, good luck!

I pasteurized the coir and verm too Thumbs up