We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV12131415NEXT
What scale do you use? Options

collembola
#261 Posted : 10/30/2017 1:23:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hello,

please could anybody help with:

i bought some aws 20 scales, but the 10g calibration weight weighs 10.030 g (?).

the calibration weight looks very cheap and chromed or something however:

can anybody help with if i should calibrate the scales to 10g "using the cheap looking weight" or if 10.030g may infact be an accurate reading ?

thankyou.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Psilosopher?
#262 Posted : 10/30/2017 1:28:54 AM

Don't Panic

I like the pentatonic, diatonic and Dorian scales.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

downwardsfromzero
#263 Posted : 10/31/2017 5:15:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I make my own scales.

I have psoriasis.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

collembola
#264 Posted : 11/18/2017 1:09:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

can anybody help with my .030 problem ?

bit of a head scratch as 30mg differntial maybe too much potentially (?).

does anybody know when you tare; does that calibrate the scale ? OR "reset" the scale to pre-calibrated setting ? (i.e. maybe +/- 30mg for me ?) the "10g" weight is about the cheapeast looking piece in the set.

sorry for being pedantic.

regards.

GordoTEK
#265 Posted : 12/20/2017 3:35:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No cheap milligram scale is going to be incredibly accurate below 20mg. There are things you can do to increase accuracy. Allow the scale to 'warm up' for 5-10 seconds after turning it on before putting anything on it. Use the included weights to calibrate it before use. Finally, it's going to be most accurate at about half its capacity, so after calibrating, put one of the 10g weights on the weighing tray, then the included bowl in addition to the weight.

Note: With some scales it is best to not tare it, but rather add whatever you're weighing to the total of the bowl and calibration weight (substract the start weight in your head or use a calculator). Hope this helps.

collembola
#266 Posted : 1/7/2018 8:58:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thankyou for the reply gordo ...they should REALLY be accurate to .001

the scales are more "precision looking" then the chromed weight i think so i am just going to have to concede to take them as "accurate".

i think the calibration weight is maybe for less sensitive scales that will round off to the nerest .something / was just bundled inside from the factory etc.

...either that or i am leaving .20mg to the gods / thankyou foer your help.

GordoTEK
#267 Posted : 1/8/2018 2:16:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dimitrius_rexus wrote:
SWIM has used that scale in the past but prefers the AWS Gemini-20 mainly due to its removable weighing tray which makes it significantly harder to damage. The cover also works much better as a wind guard on the gemini-20.

SWIM needs to roll in a new scale as the gemini is getting old and bruised. looking at another gemini as they are still very cheap

Agree, Gemini-20 is great for a cheap digital scale, saw it recently new for $18 on ebay, the seller had sold hundreds of them with very high feedback.

Lupis Arante
#268 Posted : 1/9/2018 9:11:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I make my own scales.

I have psoriasis.

This actually made me laugh.
..Respect the Trees..

Mister_Niles
#269 Posted : 1/9/2018 12:22:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

GordoTEK wrote:
dimitrius_rexus wrote:
SWIM has used that scale in the past but prefers the AWS Gemini-20 mainly due to its removable weighing tray which makes it significantly harder to damage. The cover also works much better as a wind guard on the gemini-20.

SWIM needs to roll in a new scale as the gemini is getting old and bruised. looking at another gemini as they are still very cheap

Agree, Gemini-20 is great for a cheap digital scale, saw it recently new for $18 on ebay, the seller had sold hundreds of them with very high feedback.

~$20. The Gemini-20 is really worth it. I bought mine almost a decade ago and it always works very well. Unfortunately, I had to change the batteries it shipped with a year or so ago... so maybe it really isn't worth it Smile
But seriously, My only gripe is that sometimes the automatic shutoff is too quick for my slowpoke machinations.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

downwardsfromzero
#270 Posted : 1/10/2018 5:00:00 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Mister_Niles wrote:
My only gripe is that sometimes the automatic shutoff is too quick for my slowpoke machinations.
QFT. It's so annoying. My Diablo is so damn trigger happy in the shutoff department that I have to keep poking it every 5 seconds to make sure it doesn't doze off.

I'm looking out for a replacement mg scale after my last set died. Batteries leaked Embarrased Thumbs down:
Benzymes link at the top of this page may well be the direction I'll be taking.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Tony6Strings
#271 Posted : 9/14/2019 11:09:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just came to this thread to read a little before I bought a scale. The one I've always liked the look of in pictures on the Nexus is the AWS Gemini 20. I just didn't know what it was called before now. I just bought one on Amazon for under $30, shipped free. No more eyeballing doses for this guy.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Teamleary
#272 Posted : 2/20/2020 1:25:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone,

just upping that thread in case someone found a good price/quality ratio scale...
Cause mine is giving me headaches. The other day, I put the little cup on it and it oscillated on its own +/- 10mg! How does one dose a trip with something that unstable?!

But real good scales are SUPER expensive. So I keep wondering how must of you guys do it...

also, the AWS Gem 20 seems to be doing the job, I found it here at 60 bucks, but also found what seems to be the exact same balance, just not branded AWS, for 20 bucks : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B078BC6876/ref=dp_cerb_3

"How Small A Thought It Takes To Fill A Whole Life"
Wittgenstein

downwardsfromzero
#273 Posted : 2/20/2020 7:51:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Somewhere online there's a 'how-to' for making a workable sub-milligram scale using some pretty simple electronics. I think Benzyme linked to it once? Not sure what the maximum capacity is, though.

benzyme
#274 Posted : 2/20/2020 9:18:07 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

https://www.erowid.org/a...try/equipment/scale.html
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

SkyConfession
#275 Posted : 4/20/2020 10:32:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Intezam wrote:

We also use this one. What is that hole with that foam ring for? Anyone knows?

The hole is for the second 10g scale. My original purchase didn't have that black box for holding things. Weird that it comes with two weights, but only one hole.

SkyConfession
#276 Posted : 4/20/2020 10:35:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

PedroSanchez
#277 Posted : 6/30/2020 12:41:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

most scales are fine from my experience, even cheap chinese ones.
i find the most common problem with scales is that people do not know how to calibrate them and most people do not even know it is necessary.

i have a cheap chinese set and they work perfectly as long as i calibrate them before every use and after 3-5 uses at once.

calibration calibration calibration

PsillyPsimon
#278 Posted : 8/12/2020 7:10:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My thoughts on a milligram scale is to be sure to buy one that can be calibrated. I bought just such a scale on Ebay for ~$120 Australian.

PedroSanchez
#279 Posted : 8/14/2020 12:13:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PsillyPsimon wrote:
My thoughts on a milligram scale is to be sure to buy one that can be calibrated. I bought just such a scale on Ebay for ~$120 Australian.

i have never seen one that cant be calibrated, even at the extreme cheap end, certainly much less than 120AUD.
one thing i do see a lot with cheap sets though is that they either do not tell you how to calibrate them in the manual or they explain it badly. most digital scales have pretty much the same method though, so you can figure it out with a few tries.

edit:

i thought i should post the method i mentioned, but it became a big post about calibration, so i have removed it from the reply to you and i will post it underneath.

PedroSanchez
#280 Posted : 8/14/2020 2:50:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

here is the method from the reply above that turned into a long post about calibration Very happy

this method might not work with your scales, but in my experience it covers most low/mid end scales.

you will need, at least, a calibration weight that weighs the same as the rating of your scales. usually that rating is written on the scale somewhere. if it is not called something like "max", then you are looking for a pair of numbers that look something like "20g x 0.001g". the bigger number of the two, "20g" in this example, is the max weight rating of your scales. the smaller number is the resolution (or "division" or "d"Pleased, so the scale in the example will measure in increments of 0.001g.
it is worth noting that the resolution is not solely responsible for the accuracy of the scale. the accuracy will be the result of a combination of the resolution and the precision. you should be able to find the precision in the manual or specs somewhere and it will be written as a weight, such as "±0.02g", or as a percentage, like "±0.01%".

it is also worth having a calibration weight that is half of your scales rating so you can test the scale at half weight after calibration.

do not use coins or other alternatives to calibrate your scales. there are a lot of suggestions to do this online, but most objects are not exact weights, particularly coins that are collecting dirt and chipping off chunks being handed around thousands of people before they get to you. on that note, take good care of your calibration weights so they stay clean and undamaged.

you will also want to make sure you get weights that fall into the correct tolerance classes for your needs. if the supplier is not clear about the class of the weights they are selling then go elsewhere.
there are a couple of different standards you can go by, most of the information you are likely to need is in the following chart.
M1 is usually fine. sometimes i get F2, but the price increases drastically the more accurate you need to be.

now finally on to the actual process for calibrating scales without proper instructions:

first you need to figure out which button triggers calibration mode if it is not clearly labelled. usually it is labelled something like "mode" or similar. you can try it by holding the button down for a couple of seconds. if it is the correct button then something will appear on the screen, most likely something like "cal".
once you know which button it is you can follow the steps below. below i will refer to the button as the "calibrate" button.

1. starting with the scale turned off, make sure the plate is clear and press the power button to turn the scale on.

2. press and hold the "calibrate" button for about 2 seconds. - a word similar to "cal" should appear on the screen at this point.

3. this is your chance to double check the plate to make sure there is nothing at all on there. once you are happy the plate is clean and there are no other disruptions to the scale then you can press the "calibration" button again.

4. usually at this point the needed calibration weight will appear on the screen (which is also the max rating of the scale as mentioned above). now you can place your calibration weight on the plate.

5a. once the scale settles there will be some indication on the screen, for example the number will flash, or stop flashing if it was previously flashing. you may now remove the weight and your scales should be good to go.

5b. i highly recommend testing to check that the calibration went well using at least one other weight at half the capacity of the scales.

if you have high quality scales the process may be more complex than the above, but if you have those scales then you will also have a good manual that explains the process well.

the above also only covers the bare minimum of proper calibration. it is enough for most uses but if you require more accuracy then you will need to do a full calibration and tests with a range of weights to get a more accurate view of the curve of the scale and the accuracy of the results. some scales will do some of this as part of their calibration process, or you can do it the old school way with a pen and paper, but most of us do not need to go that far and this post has got long enough without explaining that (there are good resources online if you want to know).

poorer quality scales will need to be calibrated more frequently. and if you move your scale you should always calibrate it before using it again.
the importance of calibration is often overlooked. it does not matter how good your scales are if they need to be calibrated, and on top of that the performance of low quality scales can be somewhat significantly improved with regular calibration.

that was not supposed to be that in depth. sorry guys Shocked

«PREV12131415NEXT