We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
some questions about Q21Q21's tek 2 "The Fluffy White Funfest " Options

PedroSanchez
#1 Posted : 6/28/2020 10:31:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i am going to do my first extraction using Q21Q21's tek 2. the steps i am following are here:
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Q21Q21%27s_Vinegar/Lime_A/B_Extraction_Tek

i am starting with 250g of MHRB powder and I will do a 50g extraction first to dip my feet in the water and narrow down any mistakes i might make. hopefully it will go well and i can do another 100g, followed by another 100g.

i have a few questions i would like to ask to make sure i am ready to start this process. any help would be much appreciated <3

1- how accurate do the pH levels have to be? the tek says they are not too important, but if i have a pH meter is it worth reading anyway? if so, what readings do i need to see at the important stages?

2- during the basification stage i will be aiming for "consistency 2". my goal is to save solvent as much as possible and reuse (better for the environment and money is saved as a bonus). do i need to keep stirring the mix occasionally until it gets to that consistency? or do i need to stir until everything is mixed and then let it sit until it gets to that consistency?

2a- "consistency 2" does not really match videos i have seen of different teks, but the guide says it helps save solvent. is this worth trying? does it take much longer? what is your experience with this route?

3- i plan to follow the tek regarding when to pull, so 1st at 6-8 hours, 2nd at 24 hours, 3rd 48 hours, 4th 1 week and 5th 2-3 weeks. is it worth pulling until i get nothing else out? what is your experience with when to pull?

4- how long should i leave the solvent on top between stirring and pouring out? am i supposed to let it sit with the solvent until the next pull? or should i pour off the solvent once everything is warm and mixed, then store until the next pull?

4a- is it easier/better to use a pipette, rather than just pour the solvent off the top as described in the tek?

5- is it safe to use an airtight container during recrystallization in the freezer? i would like to keep the smell to a minimum if possible but i am worried it might be a problem with the change in temperature.

6- can you suggest a safe way to store the solvent and bark between pulls? it seems like solvent can just be stored in a simple "jam jar" type container and the bark can be stored in its glass container with some film/wrap over the top. is this the best practice?

thank you all very much for your help <3

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cubeananda
#2 Posted : 6/28/2020 10:56:21 PM

jai

Hi PedroSanchez,

1. I think with the vinegar its not so important, I would say with dmt the higher the ph the better. Dialing that in all revolves around the consistency of the mixture (the concentration of the calcium hydroxide) leading to question 2

2. the more wet your mixture, the more solvent will remain behind when pouring it off of the mixture, hence the approximated 'oatmeal' suggestion. the consistency should not change much after sufficient stirring, but i believe adding reasonably as much base as you can is recommended.

3. your solvent will become less recyclable after sitting in the mixture for too long, so perhaps keep it in mind when attempting the pull after 2 weeks.

4. you can pour it right on and mix it up. and i think pipettes are bad for solvents, especially cheap ones, pouring it off should be fine provided you are using enough solvent. which solvent are you using btw?

5. if you are using the petroleum based solvents, i think you still risk fumes and/or contamination. with limo i wouldnt worrya bout it, though you mention re-x so im guessing you're using the former

6. i couldnt suggest anything better Razz

good luck!

PedroSanchez
#3 Posted : 6/28/2020 11:18:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cubeananda wrote:
Hi PedroSanchez,

1. I think with the vinegar its not so important, I would say with dmt the higher the ph the better. Dialing that in all revolves around the consistency of the mixture (the concentration of the calcium hydroxide) leading to question 2

2. the more wet your mixture, the more solvent will remain behind when pouring it off of the mixture, hence the approximated 'oatmeal' suggestion. the consistency should not change much after sufficient stirring, but i believe adding reasonably as much base as you can is recommended.

3. your solvent will become less recyclable after sitting in the mixture for too long, so perhaps keep it in mind when attempting the pull after 2 weeks.

4. you can pour it right on and mix it up. and i think pipettes are bad for solvents, especially cheap ones, pouring it off should be fine provided you are using enough solvent. which solvent are you using btw?

5. if you are using the petroleum based solvents, i think you still risk fumes and/or contamination. with limo i wouldnt worrya bout it, though you mention re-x so im guessing you're using the former

6. i couldnt suggest anything better Razz

good luck!

thank you verry much for the reply <3

i will follow your advice. i am planning to use newport lighter fluid because i am in UK. i can get ronsonol, but it is much more expensive and i read a lot saying newport was fine. i still have yet to source my chemicals/tools though so all of that is still open for debate.

regards Q5, with newport lighter fluid, if i still risk fumes/contamination, is it still safe to use a sealed container? i would also like to avoid any moisture getting in there as much as possible. maybe film would be just fine for that? or maybe i am worrying too much? i have heard that is the thing newbies do wrong most often Very happy

thanks for the help. much appreciated <3

PedroSanchez
#4 Posted : 6/30/2020 10:26:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

after watching some videos i think i have given in to peer pressure and might change my tek to a STB one with lye.

these videos made it look much easier than i realised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLXjpalUL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflKHZ0WbMM

i am a sucker, i know, but might as well start easy Smile

BecometheOther
#5 Posted : 6/30/2020 9:10:04 PM

metamorhpasizer

The q2121 tek is super simple, i dont even measure ph i just add the same weight roughly in pickling lime that i add in bark. its really easy
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

PedroSanchez
#6 Posted : 6/30/2020 9:39:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BecometheOther wrote:
The q2121 tek is super simple, i dont even measure ph i just add the same weight roughly in pickling lime that i add in bark. its really easy

the STB tek i linked the videos of seems even more simple. i have also managed to knock some cost off my shopping list with it too, which is one of the most important factors for me.
i have familiarised myself with the process now too, so i dont mind making the change so much. it scared me before i learnt it though Smile

i will revisit the Q21Q21 tek eventually. i still really like the foodsafe concept.