We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question about growing nightshades. Options

dragonrider
#1 Posted : 6/14/2020 6:03:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm growing some vegetables.
And i've always heard people say that you should not grow any plants of the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, zuchinni's, etc) on the same soil as the year before.

Thing is, i just keep getting them spontaneously.
Five potatoes and two tomatoes have just popped up on the same place where i had them last year.

I have not realy any space left to move them to, so the options are: just let them grow, or kill them.

Any suggestions?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Bosho 23
#2 Posted : 6/15/2020 6:56:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello dragonrider how are you just had a quick look if you have no room it should be fine. U can test ph of your soil replenish what it needs nitrogen phosphorus potassium. A good buddy grew tomatoes in the same spot for a few years and had no drama hope this helps
✌️ and 🌈

dragonrider
#3 Posted : 6/15/2020 1:28:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/15/2020 10:57:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

On one of my plots, last year's potatoes (or maybe even from the year before that) have popped up again and they look better than ever. I did chuck some ash and charcoal on in the spring so that may have helped. They're looking so good, I decided to earth them up with some spare soil I have. This has kept them from swamping some beans which were meant to be the crop there this year. Perhaps you can still squeeze in some compatible plants around them? I also have climbing beans in my tomato pots.

(Zucchini is not a nightshade!! I think you must have meant aubergine.)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

RoundAbout
#5 Posted : 6/30/2020 9:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe this advice is intended for avoiding disease, not related to some sort of soil chemistry issue. Tobacco mosaic virus can infect many different types nightshades for example.