We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Solubility of DMT in Freezer Options

Brennendes Wasser
#1 Posted : 6/11/2020 11:14:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

So I did a quick test of the Solubility of DMT in Naphtha (Hexane/Heptane-Isomers, C6-C7, 60-80 °C) in a Freezer 1-2 Years ago and then just now again. It seems the value is like follows:

Solubility of DMT at - 20 °C = 0,096 g/L

... = 96 mg / 100 ml

I used a small amount so it was not too easy to remove everything from the dish for weight calculation, so give it a +- 10 %. 1-2 years ago the result was 115 mg / 100 ml. Not much difference, to be super safe I would say it is somewhere around 90-120 mg / 100 ml for sure.

Now what does that mean?

A lot of people ask: I have a low yield. What can I do? Then often the answer is: Maybe you did not reduce your soup enough and you still have too much stuff in your Naphtha.
Maybe its the reason - maybe not. When just calculating how much DMT COULD be left in your Naphtha you will get a rough idea if that may be the case. Also knowing this value above you can easily calculate how much you will need your solvent to be reduced, when knowing what amount of DMT may indeed hide in there.

Example:

You have 100 g Mimosa Root Bark and you extracted with 5 x 100 ml Naphtha.

This means if you would consider a 1 % yield, then 1 g of DMT is in 500 ml Naphtha.

Freezing it to - 20 °C will make you still have a Naphtha solution with 5 x 96 mg = 480 mg DMT.

So by not reducing it by any means you will only get half the (expected) yield. Let's say you want 90 % of your 1 g DMT from that 100 g Bark. Then to make only 0,1 g of the DMT remain in the Naphtha, you have to reduce it from 500 ml to ~ 100 ml. Then you will only have ~ 100 mg of DMT left in your 100 ml Naphtha.

So the next time you have your Naphtha ready for freeze-precipitation you will already know how much you would DEFINETLY *not get* when doing the freeze precipitation.

This way you will be able to tell yourself, it you really have a low yield because of too less evaporation. If you are only left with 100 ml Naphtha, then you probably did something else wrong, as 100 ml Naphtha will only contain about 0,1 g DMT. And if you still *miss* some DMT form your extraction, then it may be much more than just 0,1 g and it will be another issue to search for.

Besides in any way there is even another way to handle the *loss* when freezing Naphtha, which will still hold back some Spice. I would suggest doing this:

Reusing Naphtha all the time
Take your 500 ml to pull from 100 g Root Bark (for example), but then dont evaporate anything from it. Put it in the freezer, get 520 mg DMT out and 480 mg DMT still in solution. Then put all the 500 ml Naphtha back into the container.
Wait X time for the next extraction and reuse that Naphtha. This time the Naphtha will be saturated at - 20 °C from the last extractin. Now you get 100 % of the second extraction. That means any *loss* in yield will be reduced to 0 during the next extraction. Then you have basically infinite Naphtha and get all your Spice back from it, when placing it at - 20 °C Thumbs up

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Jozeh
#2 Posted : 6/12/2020 12:29:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the addition Brennendes Wasser. I was recently trying to work out similar per heated Naptha pulls and how much would remain after the freeze-precip. Calculation shall be noted for future use.