We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
GVG without ceramic filter. Options

thetranceengineer
#1 Posted : 6/6/2020 9:44:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use a glass vapour genie with a liquid pad and one screen, just as an extra layer of protection from nn dmt powder melting through.

And I have used the GVG with the ceramic filter and without it and I'm seeing better results without using it. I'm still trying to perfect my technique, but yeah does anyone know if using it without is better?

I have experience with bongs, and currently a smoker so lungs are tough enough for a decent hit. I'm unsure as to what is better as my technique with the ceramic filter isn't consistently good enough yet but seem to get a decent hit just using it as a general pipe without it.

Thanks.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

thetranceengineer
#2 Posted : 6/8/2020 4:18:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Basically what I mean is should I just keep using the GVG without the top part or should it work great using the top part?

Maybe I just need to practice a bit more, with the torch lighter placement/timing. I have one gauze and a liquid pad in my GVG.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated a lot.

I've read other people saying the GVG including the ceramic top part is definitely the best way to smoke DMT so yeah, possibly just need to practice my technique.

coAsTal
#3 Posted : 6/8/2020 4:49:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you don't use the ceramic diffuser, it's just a plain glass pipe-- the ceramic filter is what takes the flame heat, spreads it out, and super-heats the air so that you can vaporize the herbs/spice without burning.

If you remove that, you may as well just use a regular pipe-- since there's no vaporization, just incineration. It defeats the purpose of a GVG.

The entire point of a GVG is that it is an excellent vaporizing tool-- you should practice with herbs only for awhile if you aren't quite getting the best hits through the ceramic. Once you "get it" I promise you'll fall in love. People sometimes over-complicate it or try and hit it too hard.

The key is to keep the lighter flame tip just at the ceramic itself, and regulate your inhalation speed so that the flame can properly heat the air you pull through to a high temp.

Most people that have difficulty are either pulling air through too hard/soft or not getting the flame close enough to the ceramic diffuser to heat it right... or both.
Assuming you keep the flame tip at the right level (with the tip just barely flicking at the ceramic surface):
1) Pulling too much air through will cause the element to keep cool, so it can't heat up well and won't vaporize what's below.
2) If you pull too little air through, it will super-heat the diffuser and just incinerate the contents of the chamber.

Just remember-- your goal is to gently but evenly draw air through the ceramic foam, with steady application of the flame to the tip of the ceramic so that it thoroughly heats the puck. As you pull air through the puck at the right speed, it will waft super-hot air down across your herb/spice, vaporizing it without burning.

Try start with an inhalation speed that results in about a half-lungfull over 5 to 7 seconds. You can easily practice without the pipe-- just fully exhale, then inhale at the speed where half your lungs will fill in 5 to 7 seconds.
If you hit the GVG at that speed with the lighter flame properly applied to the ceramic, you're gonna get a good solid hit. At least you'll get close, and will learn to slow up or speed up from there.

Thumbs up

thetranceengineer
#4 Posted : 6/8/2020 8:15:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thats perfect! Just what I needed to hear!

I'm quite new to DMT at the moment, so between doing it myself and my own research (sometimes very conflicting research) I think I'm just about getting the hang of the GVG.

I just ended up slightly confused because every time I've used the GVG, it rarely filled with thick looking white vapour, apart from once when it was just perfect. The vapour was thick and the trip was semi intense that time, and it was a much more enjoyable experience, and it felt like that was how it should be every time.

Thinking back, I think my main problem could be heating it up far too much, sometimes I feel I've had that lighter at the end of the pipe for far too long, so yeah I think I'll have to practice on the air flow and how much and fast I'm drawing out of the pipe, and the duration I'm holding the torch lighter at the ceramic for.

A fortnight ago, I removed the ceramic filter and torched straight into the pipe (without dmt powder) because their was a build up of dmt resin, I was using 6 or 7 gauzes at that time which I've replaced with a liquid pad, and got one of the better hits I've ever had, this helped to add to my confusion as not using the ceramic filter obviously seemed to defeat the purpose of the GVG.

Thanks so much for your reply by the way, at least I know I'm on the right track. Had heard so much good things about the GVG regarding DMT so spontaneously decided to invest in one. You've given me valuable information and definitely some reassurance.

Thanks again and hopefully my next trips should be much better!

coAsTal
#5 Posted : 6/8/2020 8:41:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Happy to help-- you will get it down, everyone always does (except a handful of people that quit too soon Pleased )

I always bed my spice with symbiotic herbs like damiana, mugwort, passionflower, and caapi leaf (in varying combination of ratios).
I can always tell when that sweet spot of heat and flow is reached, because it will start releasing thick white vapor within about 1-2 seconds if I'm doing it right-- I will then continue to inhale at that pull rate until my lungs are between 2/3 and 3/4 full, before outing the lighter and continuing to clear the chamber until I can't hold any more air-- then you must remember to hold your breath for 20-30 seconds-- (I usually do the 20 seconds since I'm getting exposure through the entire hit as well, so I end up with the spice in my lungs for closer to 30 anyway).

Keep in touch-- you will definitely know when you get it down. I can blast off very well with 20-30mg consistently in a single hit by regulating that heat/air and herbal amount-- I get it all in one big, smooth shot-- that's what you ideally aim for I think.

thetranceengineer
#6 Posted : 6/8/2020 9:02:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Brilliant news! Well I'm not up for quitting that's for sure, literally feel like I've barely scratched the surface with is true. But my decent trips have been exciting, leaving me wondering what next, or what a bigger dose taken successfully could be like. Really interests me a lot, and the irony being, until doing a bit of research over the last few months you could have described me as the least spiritual person about haha.

I'll get it down soon I'm sure. Herbs had crossed my mind so could maybe give that a try in the future but hopefully I'll get it down as time goes on. I'll try and not nuke it with the lighter too much, sure I've been almost pre heating it to a certain extent before I even take a draw from the pipe but definitely sounds like it should be a bit of a faster, smoother process without playing about with the lighter too much. Kind of explains the amount I've let turn into liquid and leak through before I've had time to take it.

Took me a good few times before I even realised the GVG had flat glass on the bottom to easily sit it down, which seems very handy, as one of my better trips had me in lego land before I had even exhaled Shocked . And that was the time I had taken the ceramic out to just light the leakage from the pipe.

I'll get there in the end though, and I've sure wasted some on occasions but I've relatively easy access to it just now and not really expensive. Is all a learning curve at the moment! Thanks again man and enjoy the rest of your night!

coAsTal
#7 Posted : 6/8/2020 9:22:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad to hear-- you're definitely in the right place to learn everything you need to know-- the Nexus is an invaluable resource of information-- we are all lucky to have it available.

Quote:
sure I've been almost pre heating it to a certain extent before I even take a draw from the pipe but definitely sounds like it should be a bit of a faster, smoother process without playing about with the lighter too much. Kind of explains the amount I've let turn into liquid and leak through before I've had time to take it.

That's why I use herbs-- and I do often take a very short maybe 2 second pre-draw after dropping the spice on the herbs for that exact effect-- it melts the crystal into the leaves, which then makes it easier to vaporize effectively (more surface area exposed) while also keeping it from dripping into the pipe body.

For reference, you can recover the spice/oil that drips/condenses in the body by using Everclear when you clean the pipe-- just dump maybe 30ml in, plug both holes, shake/swish it around well, and it will break down into the alcohol. Hot water running on the outside accelerates the cleaning action.
Pour the alcohol into a dish, let it evap away, and you will have your spice back to scrape up and re-use. (Rinse your cleaned pipe with very hot water inside and out, and it'll sparkle like new.)
That residue will not taste like the lovely flowers of fresh DMT unfortunately- -the re-cycled stuff from my pipe is always harsh as hell, but I don't waste anything, as it's very hard to come by for me.

thetranceengineer
#8 Posted : 6/8/2020 9:58:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes the dmt nexus has been amazing for me so far. Since starting dmt it came up through a Google search and since then has been my number one place to go for info.

Just recently made a member account, the start up questionnaire freaked me a little bit Laughing many questions I struggled finding answers for haha. Dont suppose it matters that much anyway but I can totally understand why it's there! Probably the reason the dmt nexus has developed into the site it is today, no trash talking, just genuine knowledge and assistance if needed.

Making much more sense to me now, recently just done a clean and someone suggested iso, used 91% rubbing alcohol and made the GVG look brand new, just put it in and plugged the holes and a few shakes and it was clear. Hopefully I'll keep it a bit cleaner from leaking etc as time goes on! I never tried to save anything from it though, just flushed it out with hot water,

Thanks for that info tho about recycling the spice, I'll give that a try in the future Smile

Jees
#9 Posted : 6/9/2020 6:58:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The VG liquid pad is quite a block of iron, it needs a lot of heat to get warm at least compared to a modest copper scrubber or Healthstone stone.

thetranceengineer
#10 Posted : 6/9/2020 7:10:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah cheers for the heads up, I've not tried it with the pad yet, just got the pipe cleaned and ready for the next suitable time. I did notice it was quite dense though, you think pre heating the pad and then loading the powder onto it could help? Or even trying to stretch it out just a little?

Will hopefully suss it out on my next trip though, if it becomes an issue I think I'll go down the copper mesh route as read on a few posts that can work great! Liquid pad looks nice and neat so I hope it serves purpose for me, wasn't a fan of putting 7 gauzes in Neutral

thetranceengineer
#11 Posted : 6/9/2020 9:41:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right I've got it absolutely perfect this time, full dose cleared and no residue whatsoever left in the GVG.

It's strange because I've heard so many times of low does of 10mg, medium 20mg and high 40 or 50 mg etc.

I just put 10mg onto the liquid pad, before placing the ceramic top on I lightly melted it down, just until I could see the powder melting/bubbling and couldn't see any smoke. Then put the ceramic top on and inhaled slower this time with the lighter about an inch away moving closer to the ceramic, all in a few seconds.

Then straight away I'm in Legoland with the ringing noise increasing rapidly to the point I feel like I'm in a vibrating cocoon. I had the lights out this time with just some daylight coming through the blackout blind to try and focus more. Not that interested in the lego like visions anymore, so I closed my eyes then I'm in a complete different world, lots of greenery etc, but quickly changing to other like sub scenes of different things happening. Very hard to remember it all clearly.

Where as my past experiences, I've had the ringing noise, vibrations and lego like objects looking so still and neat, but when my eyes have been closed it was more geometric like, few submerging faces, some not too viviv etc. Where this time it was more of a real life looking experience with my eyes closed and the room being much darker.

I've tested my scales and it was literally only 10mg, but taken perfectly, I'd have classed it as a medium dose, can still totally see how it could get much more intense though. I've heard so many people saying that should be a low dose but I'd disagree. Not sure if many people have been wasting half their dmt, or either using weak dmt, but all in all that was a great experience and just how I think it should be. I'll definitely just slowly increase the dose and in the future I'm sure I'll attempt to break through, but I'm in no rush and will be the right place and time!

All in all, from what I've learned, is to not burn it with the lighter, and to just inhale where the biting point is, which was must slower than past times times I've attempted. I think the dosage must just vary depending on the person, I've heard people say 10mg is nothing, and some saying they've broken through on 20mg. Just as well I'm responsible enough not to have thrown 40mg in it first time, i pity the poor people in the world who've went down that route, sure theres a few Wink Definitely can be an intense experience and not something to be reckless with! So I'll maybe go for 15mg next time, and slowly upping it as I see fit as it looks like I can vape it the correct way now.

Thanks so much for the help!

coAsTal
#12 Posted : 6/10/2020 1:04:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You just made my day, friend Very happy

acacian
#13 Posted : 6/10/2020 1:28:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thetranceengineer wrote:
Right I've got it absolutely perfect this time, full dose cleared and no residue whatsoever left in the GVG.

I've tested my scales and it was literally only 10mg, but taken perfectly, I'd have classed it as a medium dose, can still totally see how it could get much more intense though. I've heard so many people saying that should be a low dose but I'd disagree. Not sure if many people have been wasting half their dmt, or either using weak dmt, but all in all that was a great experience and just how I think it should be. I'll definitely just slowly increase the dose and in the future I'm sure I'll attempt to break through, but I'm in no rush and will be the right place and time!

I wonder whether maybe there was some residual spice in your GVG that vaporised when you did your final 10mg dose?

thetranceengineer
#14 Posted : 6/10/2020 7:23:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It was the first use of the GVG after a clean with rubbing alcohol, the pipe looked brand new after that, and i used a brand new liquid pad too so couldn't see why there would be anything left over in the pipe Wink Definitely felt like it was taken the way it should be taken with the GVG at full potential, with thick smoke, and was much easier to hold in that past times.

Unless you meant the time I just removed the ceramic cap and torched right into the bowl, that time the pipe was covered in the brown resin/melted crystals from all the previous failed attempts, probably explains why that seemed to be a decent trip. Just happy I've got the GVG working the way it should be, had me wondering the other day whether the GVG was worth it. Appears to be a fine piece of kit!

Nevertheless hopefully all should be good from now if I just repeat the steps I went through last night! But yes even thinking of a dose of 40-50mg gives me the fear just now. Will up the dose in small increments haha. Glad I made your day!

Jees
#15 Posted : 6/17/2020 11:16:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wonderful Love

All days differ, a dose will behave like it wants to be at that moment. Maybe next time 10mg will not work as well.
Last time I vaped 15mg for testers I simply blacked out, never had that before, but I wasn't sober to start with.

Start low and build up is a well known safety mantra.

thetranceengineer
#16 Posted : 6/17/2020 11:31:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I'm starting to realise that. Some days the trip has been very minimal compared to a very intense one on the same dose. Learning as I go, but definitely starting to expect the unexpected! Laughing

Totally agree, just as well I done my research before my first time trying it, and didn't go for a 20mg plus dose first time, sure I'd have ended up with a fright!