We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Excessive new-member restrictions Options

thevoluntaryway
#1 Posted : 6/6/2020 4:28:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am not impressed at how my experience here has been largely self-defeating. Even after a number of weeks now, as a new member, not only am I prevented from participating in threads that appeal to me, I can't even PM those that post such threads - or even reply to them if they happen to PM me. Enough already. Whatever these restrictions were a response to does not even seem to be a current issue - this forum isn't that active as this kind of online interaction has largely given over to social media.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

LightDancer
#2 Posted : 6/6/2020 4:38:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You could always join chat.. There's usually someone lurking around in there Smile
If there is no learning, there is no change.
If there is no change, there is no growth.
Without growth, we will only stagnate and decompose.

dreamer042
#3 Posted : 6/6/2020 5:24:13 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Promotion is based on a democratic system in which full members vote for or against promotion of new members. It's not based on time, it's based on contribution.

Be patient, address relevant threads in the welcome area, and demonstrate that you have something of value to contribute to the community.

Or go join some facebook group, it's your decision.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

null24
#4 Posted : 6/7/2020 4:45:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

The reason you do not see much cause for what is causing your frustration is because the promotion system works.

This is a pretty active forum with tons of great info, educational resources and community. These things, while they can be a cause of grief are unfortunately neccesary and put in place for good reason. You mention the growing number of convos on social media around psychs, but i am also fairly certain you aew aware of the low level of discourse on those platforms. That is something we want to avoid here and keep this place a home for rational discussion.

I have seen active new members promoted to full after only a few posts, and i've seen others languish in the nursery. Both things happen. Promotion is surprisngly under your control if you take that control and post relevant, useful things.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 6/8/2020 12:44:00 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

thevoluntaryway wrote:
as a new member, not only am I prevented from participating in threads that appeal to me
If there's a thread you want to join in with that is in a section closed to new members, simply start yourself a thread in the welcome area with the title "Re: [title of the thread that you'd like to reply to]" and then post what you want to say. With any luck your post will be noticed and quite possibly replied to. If you have something insightful/interesting/witty to say that adds to the knowledge/vibe/UX of the forum, this greatly increases your chances of promotion.

(Sadly, threads like this one tend to have the opposite effect unless countered by the above-mentioned approach.)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

thevoluntaryway
#6 Posted : 6/8/2020 5:27:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello All and thank you for the feedback. I apologize if this thread just comes across as a whinge but I feel more than ready to participate without the training wheels.

null24
#7 Posted : 6/8/2020 11:56:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

thevoluntaryway wrote:
Hello All and thank you for the feedback. I apologize if this thread just comes across as a whinge but I feel more than ready to participate without the training wheels.

Well then, take a ride around the block, let's see how you do!Laughing
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

coAsTal
#8 Posted : 6/9/2020 12:21:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the solution in place is a good one-- we have a very solid community here, and a deep treasure trove of searchable information. This is not a social media site.
The reason it's kept so focused is that the process of membership prevents the kind of drive-by posting that can make a forum experience devolve into a banal, repetitious slog to wade through.

If everyone that registered were able to immediately clutter up every room with their half-considered and frankly lazy questions (that have almost always already been thoroughly and thoughtfully discussed many times before in stickied threads and FAQ's) without having to look for the information already available, the place would be littered with it.

Not to mention the types of impulsive and impatient people that would shoot off with attitude without any respect for the place, knowing they are only passing by for a moment.

Better I think to provide partial access to some areas, while still fully revealing all the primary information about DMT that most people first come here to learn.

Then, if you interact, offer your experiences to other, and help-- you prove you deserve to stick around. I think it's fair for what you get-- for new members, AND old-timers like me.

VibeSurfer
#9 Posted : 6/9/2020 12:48:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll give ya a cheat code. If you want people to pay attention to you, acquire and grow cactus.
"It was altruism, not violence or force, which associated our higher cortex. Our intent is to awaken that memory." - Indigo

Achilles
#10 Posted : 6/9/2020 2:35:42 PM

I is the obstacle.

I tell all saplings the same thing. If you want a promotion then try on the questionnaire, post your Extraction and experience Reports where you can in the welcome area, always do your best to follow the attitude page, hop in chat every now and then, and don’t stagnate( this is one of the most important). I see lots of peoples come through make 5 post and then disappear after not being immediately promoted. But as mentioned above if we did that the quality of the forum would go way down plus full membership wouldn’t really mean anything because it’s given to everyone who makes a few post. Be patient and active and it will come when we feel your on the level.👍 good luck
This guys ego ^

ayreon42
#11 Posted : 6/9/2020 7:03:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is my favourite psychedelic community period, even though I've just been hovering and kept this site bookmarked as an observer anonymously for the past 4-5 years absorbing everything like a spongecake. I feel you, seeing something you want to jump on and reply, I saw someone with the same exact experience as me and wanted to jump on so bad and scream NAMASTE! into their faces but couldn't. I think that the curation process here has made it so seamless and the reason why it is filled with such high quality content, or is it the spice?

MuteUSO
#12 Posted : 6/10/2020 9:30:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
Promotion is based on a democratic system in which full members vote for or against promotion of new members. It's not based on time, it's based on contribution.

Be patient, address relevant threads in the welcome area, and demonstrate that you have something of value to contribute to the community.

Or go join some facebook group, it's your decision.

Is it possible to make transparent how this 'democratic process' looks like? Like are there official votings, can every full member vote, is there a continuous voting going on?

I think one can see the effectiveness of the promotion system. I would be sad to see this develop into said social media platforms that discuss dmt. No offense towards the latter, but the nexus would certainly not be the same, and as informative, without the promotion system.

Bosho 23
#13 Posted : 6/10/2020 9:34:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If u go to announcements and suggestions u will find the process there MuteUSO

MuteUSO
#14 Posted : 6/10/2020 10:03:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Bosho 23 wrote:
If u go to announcements and suggestions u will find the process there MuteUSO

Thanks for this. It took me a while to find. I like how there is also -at least some - discussion about 'best practices' going on with respect to teaching full members on how to promote.

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 6/10/2020 11:58:08 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

thevoluntaryway - glad to see you've made good use of the advice and that it has been fruitful for you. Congratulations on full membership.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Justsomedude
#16 Posted : 6/10/2020 2:20:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I personally think it's great that the Nexus curates its membership like this.

It's a mild form of a "initiation", and thus weeds out a base level of people that would only come here to take without contributing in turn.

Duncan Disorderly
#17 Posted : 6/11/2020 12:23:29 PM

DO NOT READ THIS!

My full membership was granted after I respectfully requested it in my questionnaire. This meant I bypassed the route taken by most members. When I realised I should have submitted an introduction, I was keen to add one. Unfortunately, I can't post in this area, which I have no problem with. Instead, my contributions have gradually revealed to the forum the person behind my words. Normally, I am an avid lurker on the forums I visit. It says a lot if I am eager to post in a forum.

There is good reason why I am eager to be a part of this community. The members. They are insightful, respectful, intelligent and conduct themselves with dignity and maturity. A few days ago, I decided to visit the chat room. In fact, I have spent time talking to a few people in this thread. In such a short amount of time, I feel like I am "part of the gang" and the lighthearted banter, good humour, plus intelligent discussion is refreshing. There are no egos whatsoever. It's been a pleasure and privilege to be accepted into this community.

So, yes, I may have taken a quicker route in order to achieve full membership. However, I would have been happy to take a longer one. Don't worry about the journey, the destination makes the effort worthwhile.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Smile

Peace.
DD.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” -R.I.P. Terry Pratchett

GARGA BLARG BLARG!

Dharma Mantra Tantra

thevoluntaryway
#18 Posted : 6/11/2020 4:33:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Many thanks again to everyone - and yes, this squeaky wheel got the grease. @Achilles I hit a wall with the questionnaire but I'm glad it is actually reviewed - and @ayreon42, yes, Newb as I may be I still have strong shared experiences with others posting here and without even being able to PM, having to be completely mute didn't feel good. I realise the chat area has some potential to get around that issue. But anyway, what a relief to be able to chime in without restriction. Wink

Achilles
#19 Posted : 6/11/2020 10:37:28 PM

I is the obstacle.

Congrats thevoluntaryway Thumbs up I look forward to reading your post in the members section.
This guys ego ^

Anonymous2
#20 Posted : 6/18/2020 4:18:31 PM
The more you know

thevoluntaryway wrote:
I am not impressed at how my experience here has been largely self-defeating. Even after a number of weeks now, as a new member, not only am I prevented from participating in threads that appeal to me, I can't even PM those that post such threads - or even reply to them if they happen to PM me. Enough already. Whatever these restrictions were a response to does not even seem to be a current issue - this forum isn't that active as this kind of online interaction has largely given over to social media.

I’ve been here for eight months, and I’m still a "New Member". I don’t feel like begging for it. It’s just sad.

12NEXT