We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Strange white substance leaving bark immediately after addition of lye - what is this? Options

PurpScurp
#1 Posted : 5/30/2020 10:48:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

First time i've seen this so I'm worried it's not something good.

Following max ion tek. Today I added 50g NaOH solution to my soup, and immediately, while the bark and new liquid were still somewhat seperated, this milky white substance started coming out of the bark liquid and rising up into the basic layer.

I did one thing differently this extraction and this might be key: because of something that came up, I was interrupted and left the soup in the acid stage (ph4) for approx 2 days, unheated.

I mixed up the soup after taking pictures and the white stuff mostly dissolved, but after settling there is a thin layer at the top that looks like it still has some of this substance (see pic). I've had the mix on a heat bath for about 20 minutes and that layer seems to be going away.

Is this ok or should I abort?
PurpScurp attached the following image(s):
IMG_8124.jpg (1,198kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
IMG_8123.jpg (1,084kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
IMG_8117.jpg (1,023kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
IMG_8125.jpg (1,255kb) downloaded 50 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Northerner
#2 Posted : 5/30/2020 11:20:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like plant fats, that's more likely to occur after extended acid/base times. Here's an example of fats suspended in solvent.

If it is fats like this (which I highly suspect) you may end up with very goopy fatty outcome after freeze precipitation, it's not very good. The solution is to drop the pulls straight onto 5% vinegar as below, shake vigorously for 5 or 10 minutes and wait to settle. Then pull the vinegar out from under the solvent and place in a new vessel, base to 12+, and then pull it again as before. Will come out crystal clear after precip or evap.

Northerner attached the following image(s):
887169803-IMG_7761.jpg (157kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Brennendes Wasser
#3 Posted : 5/30/2020 11:34:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Leaving the solution for 2 days at pH 3 is no problem. There is no acidic pathway for degradation. And as MHRB never has any problematic components, this may just be a weird phenomena and by conduction a normal extraction finish and if needed a recrystalization workup you will still end up with pure DMT, so dont worry!

PurpScurp
#4 Posted : 5/31/2020 9:36:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks yall. The white stuff went away after an hour in the heat bath. Everything seemed normal after that.

Got my pulls precipitating now so i'll let you know how it turns out.