We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hot or cold extractions Options

ifldmt
#1 Posted : 5/23/2020 4:59:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A friend is about to perform some mhrb extractions. They will be a/b but was wondering which would be the best for purity?
He's thinking of doing 5 50g extractions but not sure which 5 to try.
He will post results and methods on here.
Any suggestions guys? A lot of teks are years old are there any new ones yet still using noah, naphtha ect?
An eye for an eye would leave the whole world blind
Ghandi

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Brennendes Wasser
#2 Posted : 5/23/2020 5:48:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I'm not quite sure what the question is Shocked I can imagine the following things:

- in your titel you say "hot or cold extractions" so you want to know whether to heat your bark very much or only a little bit while doing an extraction?

> Generally the more heat the faster the actives are extracted. I would suggest to heat it between 80 °C and 100 °C for 1 or even 2 h for each boil. That will get everything out in 2 pulls.

Quote:
They will be a/b but was wondering which would be the best for purity?

So you want to know what exact A/B TEK delivers to best purity?
I think nearly all *established* A/B TEKs that are around here would give nearly pure Spice without recrystalization, but some that quickly come in mind may be the Max Ion TEK (maybe I just remember this because of the fancy name). Just look this one up.

Quote:
He's thinking of doing 5 50g extractions but not sure which 5 to try.

Not sure what you mean with that. So what do you have 5 from which you would choose 1 ?

You say you would do 5 extractions. Then why 5 separate extractions and not 1 with 250 g instead of 5x50 g ? Then you also dont need to choose anything. But still, WHAT do you want to choose, I mean all those 50 g bark should be the same if you bought them from the same source.

Quote:
A lot of teks are years old are there any new ones yet still using noah, naphtha ect?

Naphtha is truly considered to be the best overall solvent for DMT. It's selective mostly to DMT, easy to aquire and can be used for freeze-precipitation. Just look that you get the correct Naphtha, its either labeled as:
- Boiling Range above 60 °C, but below 100 °C
- C6-C7 Alkanes
- Hexane-Heptane Isomers

ifldmt
#3 Posted : 5/23/2020 6:43:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Is going to try 5 different a/bteks with 50g mhrb each to see which does produces what. So salt, heat, pH, ect... Until 5 of the best recommended teks can be tried.
As to heat, not even sure if you can pull spice without adding heat. To
To freeze/defrost 3 times?
Leaving solution for hours or days
Freeze/precipitation.
Sorry for not being clear, just wanting ideas and anything that's been proven to be a waste or essential to be mentioned.
An eye for an eye would leave the whole world blind
Ghandi

Hailstorm
#4 Posted : 5/23/2020 6:53:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Hot extractions are going to pull more impurities out of the bark. Colder ones are going to yield less.
If you extract with heptane, you need to keep it hot as as DMT is not very soluble in it at room temperatures. DMT extracted with heptane is quite pure, likely due to its high logP.

Max ION yields a lot, but there is mixed feedback on whether salting actually helps. You can do a parallel ( "A/B" ) experiment with and without salt to find out - please post the results here if you do.

Dry teks (such as Gordotek on Youtube) yield less DMT and require more work, but the DMT is snow-white (and subjectively quite pure) without any washes or recrystallizations. Dry teks use food grade ingredients and are less sensitive to clumsy technique, so they are well-suited for beginners. With wet teks, if you come too close to the separation line between layers, or do not wait enough (10-15 minutes) for layers to separate well, you will pull trace amounts of lye water / polar impurities. With dry teks, the solid bark and liquid solvent separate cleanly so it is hard to get your pulls wrong.

Brennendes Wasser
#5 Posted : 5/24/2020 2:01:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

As MHRB does not contain major disturbing impurities when conducting a regular A/B I would go for max temp, or let's say 80 - 95 °C.

Quote:
Max ION yields a lot, but there is mixed feedback on whether salting actually helps

From my experience it does not help at all, but it can be fatal:

If you reduced your soup too much, then the concentration of all actives is quite high. And then adding excessive salt will precipitate a lot of stuff, that will turn your soup into a paste. Then no extracting is possible anymore and you will curse yourself. Twisted Evil

entuthevoid
#6 Posted : 5/29/2020 7:29:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been using STB now for about five years and found no good reason to use an ATB tek. yield of 1.5 % pretty consistently after one re-x. yellow? yes. potent? yes yes yes. just my two cents...