We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
My first shroom grow! Options

OliverJ
#1 Posted : 5/11/2020 7:29:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

I've just inoculated my first batch of PF Tek Jars!

12 jars, with Golden Teacher Strain. Now that i've completed inoculation I understand I should see (hopefully) white Mycelium in approximately 5 days, and if it is any other colour I should discard the jars contents.

Can anyone else provide any further tips? I read a lot of mixed opinions on what to do once the mycelium has colonised the whole substrate.

In addition, can anyone tell me about different strains etc? Experiences? Which ones are most pleasant to work with? I have no mushroom experience at all!!

I also have some Fiji spores that i'll do another 12 jars with in a few weeks.
OliverJ attached the following image(s):
IMG_20200511_191700.jpg (2,952kb) downloaded 115 time(s).
IMG_20200511_191751.jpg (2,551kb) downloaded 115 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SynKyd
#2 Posted : 5/12/2020 1:43:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You can pitch the foil at this point, if you’re using PF with a verm layer. Did you create or order the jars?
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

OliverJ
#3 Posted : 5/12/2020 6:15:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I created it all and I did use a verm later, about a tablespoons worth on top of each.

Lids under the foil with 4 holes in.

Metta-Morpheus
#4 Posted : 5/12/2020 12:52:03 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

GTs were my first successful grow. I learned a few things, so teacher seems an appropriate name. I got a 4 week incubation time at 82 degrees. Make sure your incubating spot is dark, as mine was in a clear tote near a window, and they started pinning early and left a lot of nutrients uncolonized. I have some B+ that will be ready to birth in another week or so, and I just inoculated some grain jars with some APE for my first bulk attempt. You will thoroughly enjoy this hobby, I’m sure. I know I have been!
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

OliverJ
#5 Posted : 5/19/2020 7:36:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Success!

All 12 jars have some fluffy white mycelium in them. Some jars are way further ahead than others. One jar, has the smallest amount, and its near to the top of the jar - will this still colonise OK?

SynKid - you said I can remove the foil lid and leave just the punctured jar lid?
OliverJ attached the following image(s):
IMG_20200518_080701.jpg (2,324kb) downloaded 76 time(s).

Metta-Morpheus
#6 Posted : 5/19/2020 1:19:39 PM

ModeratorSenior Member

Jars colonizing from the top will be just fine. I actually was surprised when I saw your pic, as my liquid from syringes soak in on the top, and never make it down as far as yours. So from my experience, you will be just fine. And yes you can remove the foil if you want, since the layer of verm on top of your brf acts as a filter.

Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

OliverJ
#7 Posted : 5/19/2020 2:55:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
Jars colonizing from the top will be just fine. I actually was surprised when I saw your pic, as my liquid from syringes soak in on the top, and never make it down as far as yours. So from my experience, you will be just fine. And yes you can remove the foil if you want, since the layer of verm on top of your brf acts as a filter.

Thanks mate, lovely! This mushroom growing is oddly exciting. The waiting game is gonna be tough and hopefully rewarding!

Metta-Morpheus
#8 Posted : 5/19/2020 4:58:38 PM

ModeratorSenior Member

It goes quicker than you think. If possible, keep your jars around 82 F(not sure Celsius amount). I had a 4 week colonization this way. Closer to 7 weeks when the temp was around 70F.