We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do Alkaloids Evaporate in Water? Options

Nibs
#1 Posted : 5/16/2020 8:14:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My question is specifically relating to harmala alkaloids, but it could be applied to any kind. When boiling plant manterial is it possible for alkaloids to become trapped in water vapor? My initial thoughts are no, because when you do reductions they become more concentrated in the water, also in many traditional ayahuaaca brews they are boiled for hours.

If a brew were to be almost completely boiled off, is it possible that with little water left to be soluable in, could harmalas be evaporated off, or would they convert back to solid form and remain with the plant material?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Kumarajiva
#2 Posted : 5/16/2020 8:17:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmalas get evaporated with the steam, but in trace amounts. (Based on my own observation while using soxhlet extractor on rue seeds and UV light)
Gate Gate Pāragate Pārasaṃgate Bodhi Svāhā

Brennendes Wasser
#3 Posted : 5/17/2020 3:52:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Normally when performing a steam distillation on plant material you would only get essential oils, and these are called "oils" for the reason of not being an Alkaloid, having no base and therefore not existing as an Ion inside of the material.
Common stuff that can be extracted are Terpenes and these are all either just Hydrocarbons or maybe carry an alcohol or ketone.
Altogether they dont have an ionic form in physiological environment and so they can migrate over when a plant soup is heated at boiling temp.

Quote:
Harmalas get evaporated with the steam, but in trace amounts. (Based on my own observation while using soxhlet extractor on rue seeds and UV light)

But regarding alkaloids, they should not be vaporizing at all, so it wonders me how you saw it with UV light - did you place a UV source behind the vapor and it was slightly glowing? Normally I would just except them to do so in solution. But still then this may be indeed a hint that there would be some in the vapor phase, but normally I would strongly say alkaloids wont ever migrate to the gas phase.

But more precise on your question you are totally good to go to just reduce you soup to whatever amount. You will not loose any amount of the Harmalas - or at least not noticable. Cooking the seeds 2x for 2 h is totally no problem.
But if you want to be super safe, just boil them at 80 - 90 °C.

But regarding concentration:

Why do you even want to concentrate them quite much? Is it for a brew or do you just want to perform a regular Harmala extraction?

In the later case just basify to 11+ and then decant as much water as possible, then filling up with new water and let the Harmalas settle down. Repeat until you have practically clear water above the light tan alkaloids and also a pH of around 7-8. That would be a very easy way to get good Harmalas, the back-salting step to precipitate them as *HCl or *OAc is not even needed and just increases time + decreases yield.

Kumarajiva
#4 Posted : 5/17/2020 3:55:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The UV glow appeared inside the condenser column above the soxhlet. I was surprised myself. I am pretty sure there was no contamination.
Harmalas sublimate, so maybe this is the reason?
Gate Gate Pāragate Pārasaṃgate Bodhi Svāhā

Mindlusion
#5 Posted : 5/17/2020 11:38:59 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

most definitely sounds like sublimation, harmalas are certainly capable of this, especially the less polar harmine
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 5/18/2020 1:54:06 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Oh, harmala alkaloids - at first I was thinking, "Well, coniine might a little bit, but who would want to be playing around with that?"
(Coniine is the main toxic compound in hemlock, for all you non-phytochem folks out there.)

It's easy to imagine harmine being steam-volatile because it is fully conjugated and thus fairly reminiscent of naphthalene, which is definitely steam-volatile.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Mindlusion
#7 Posted : 5/18/2020 1:56:32 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

It's easy to imagine harmine being steam-volatile because it is fully conjugated and thus fairly reminiscent of naphthalene, which is definitely steam-volatile.

my thoughts exactly
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Nibs
#8 Posted : 5/18/2020 7:19:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Why do you even want to concentrate them quite much? Is it for a brew or do you just want to perform a regular Harmala extraction?

I've seen people talk about over reducing or nearly completely boiling off their acid baths, and i have come close to doing this myself by mistake. Assuming a reduction wasn't cooked until it was dry and have the harmalas destroyed, i was curious what would happen if they ran out of water to be suspended in. Would they would be completely lost when the broth reached that threshold?