We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ginkgo Biloba as MAO Inhibitor Options

PsilocybeChild
#1 Posted : 5/20/2016 1:10:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure if this is the right section but has this info been mentioned?
Upon a quick forum search I see two mentions of Ginko as an MAOi, with one regarding its inhibition as "light".
From what I'm reading it seems it is not that weak of an MAOi.
As anyone ever tried ginkgo for orally activating DMT or other MAO substrates?

Quote:
It was proposed that ginko may potentiate monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (speculative),150 due to the evidence that EGb7671 and the fresh and dried leaves and flavonoids including isorhamnetin and especially kaempferol inhibit MAO-A and MAO-B (in vitro).786,,916 One individual taking 4 capsules of ginkgo standardized extract had a 30% and 50% inhibition of human platelet MAO-B after 1 and 3 hours, respectively, and drinking a tea made from 2 grams of dried leaves reduced platelet MAO-B by 29% after 1 hour (PO in human case study).786
HOWEVER, no effects were shown on mouse or rat brain MAO or concentrations of bioamines (ex vitro) when rats were given 10mg/kg kaempferol or 15 mg/kg ginkgo extract orally 3 hours prior.916 Based on behavioral evidence, no MAO inhibition was found with 100 mg/kg standardized ginkgo extract EGb 761, except for slight excitation from 100mg/kg tryptamine given intravenously (PO in mice).1053 In 10 subjects taking 120 mg/day of ginkgo extract EGb 761 for 1 month, no significant changes in brain MAO-A or MAO-B were measurable (PO in human study). This does not rule out the possibility of MAO inhibition occurring outside the brain that might lead to significant interactions.615
High concentrations of the concentrated extract EGb 761 inhibit uptake of serotonin (in vitro) and dopamine (in vitro).193
HOWEVER, lower concentrations (achieved in vivo with a dose of 100 mg/kg) increase serotonin uptake by synaptosomes (in vitro, PO in mice) and do not affect dopamine uptake (in vitro).192

Herbal Contraindications and Drug Interactions plus Herbal Adjuncts With Medicines - Francis Brinker, N.D.
Citations can be found at http://www.eclecticherb.com/s/HCDI4-Ref.pdf

Quote:
Extracts of Ginkgo biloba leaves produce reversible inhibition of rat brain monoamine (MAO). Both MAO-A and -B types were inhibited to a similar extent. The MAO inhibitory compound(s) were present in dried or fresh Ginkgo biloba leaves as well as in commercially available capsules of Ginkgo biloba and appear to be heat stable with relatively low molecular weight. MAO inhibition by Ginkgo biloba may be a mechanism underlying reported anti-stress and anxiolytic activities of this natural product.

http://biopsychiatry.com/ginkgomaoi.html
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

RAM
#2 Posted : 5/20/2016 7:10:10 AM

Hail the keys!

Thanks for sharing - I take ginkgo biloba as a supplement occasionally for mental acuity. I have not vaporized DMT in a while, but the next time I do if I take ginkgo beforehand I'll report back what happens!
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

PsilocybeChild
#3 Posted : 5/20/2016 8:27:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I never noticed much from Ginkgo biloba for mental clarity, but I've been finding Periwinkle (Vinca minor) good for it! It contains vincamine, which is the compound that the nootropic vinpocetin is synthesized from. Found it growing all over by my job as well. One of the few herbs that is reputed to actually work on memory.

cheers

(EDIT: Vinca minor sp. not sp. major)
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

BundleflowerPower
#4 Posted : 5/21/2016 2:09:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it will be cool when we find plants other than the traditional harmalas plants, that will work to inhibit Mao in a brew. They're going add a whole new dimension to the dmt experience, smoked and oral.

PsilocybeChild
#5 Posted : 5/21/2016 2:47:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Was thinking the same. What ever happened with the work here that was being done with russian olive? I remember someone describing the spirit communicating that it was time for it to work with humanity or a similar statement.

I been wondering if the use of it has become more popular and if the extraction is anywhere as simple as rue.

I want to find new psychoactive plants in general. Before I'm done I will bring knowledge of a currently unused plant with recreational potential to people, I'm determined!

So much plant knowledge and traditional usage has been suppressed and lost.

It'd be cool to start a forum just for experimenting and logging information on potentially useful psychoactive plants. A lot of posts about certain ones but people wait for others to go first. Laughing understandable.

I just use the Shulgin method, starting low and titrating up, feeling it out.

cheers
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

Chan
#6 Posted : 5/21/2016 4:12:17 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

[Based on a very adverse reaction to MDMA after a curry containing turmeric & black pepper, among many other things (I made it)...] I think turmeric (and possibly black pepper/piperine as co-factor) could be a good place to start looking...

Others have, with mixed results...
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

PsilocybeChild
#7 Posted : 5/21/2016 7:23:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience.Sad
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum

Chan
#8 Posted : 5/21/2016 9:05:37 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Thanks, Psilo, a bit of serotonin-syndrome (fainting, puking etc) wouldn't wish it on anyone else, but a good lesson in MAO 101, now re-purposed... Made me pay keen attention to this topic, also the CYP450 enzymes...

And there's your gingko-biloba!
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

DreaMTripper
#9 Posted : 9/11/2016 9:50:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another study that concludes Kaempferol is a potent MAOI-A and a long lasting one at that, the study looks solid using harmaline as a control.

starway6
#10 Posted : 9/13/2016 8:35:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PsilocybeChild wrote:
I never noticed much from Ginkgo biloba for mental clarity, but I've been finding Greater Periwinkle good for it! It contains vincamine, which is the compound that the nootropic vinpocetin is synthesized from. Found it growing all over by my job as well. One of the few herbs that is reputed to actually work on memory.

cheers

Ginko is for memory and so is the [Periwinkle plant..the ingrediants in Vinpocetine]

Vinpocetine is far superior to Ginko.. as it acts quickly to increase brain and body circulation..ginko can take weeks or months to work to full effect..

I dont think either of these are Maois...but a natural one is called .[passion flower]

Passion flower tincture is more potent than the herb I am using it in a changa mix...

Cognitive Heart
#11 Posted : 9/13/2016 9:30:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So vinca major or vinca minor? Minor contains reserpine and 49 other alkaloids, including vincamine, etc. It definitely is noticeable in effect as a nootropic but the phase cycles can be bad if used in excess. Significant depletion of cells within neurons can occur, as well.

Perhaps there is a synergy of the alkaloids because it certainly did feel good at the peak initially, but the comedown I found a little harsh and possibly dangerous to work with.

Ginkgo is great on the other hand. Gradual effects and sustaining once they peak. At least a week or two to truly take effect. No harshness, either. A beneficial ally. Very happy
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

josboaz
#12 Posted : 4/27/2020 1:39:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

does anybody know if i can take ginko with harmala