We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
In quarantine/lock down Movie/TV thread Options

Felnik
#21 Posted : 4/8/2020 4:23:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I highly recommend Never Call Saul. It's a real masterpiece of TV.

Ex Machina is also a gem of a film.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dragonrider
#22 Posted : 4/8/2020 1:27:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The big lebowski is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. The road to wellville is also incredibly funny.

soul-explorer
#23 Posted : 4/9/2020 11:54:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7303530/
Roads

Amazing movie, shot in Marokko, Spain and France.

Lampeyelittle
#24 Posted : 4/9/2020 10:30:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

+1 to "The Big Lebowski" ( 1998 ), that is my all-time favorite movie.

"Arrival" (2016) is the best representation of what I believe what might actually happen if aliens visit Earth.

I swore "The Matrix" ( 1998 ) was a documentary when I watched it on an edible, but you're better off pretending the other two movies in the trilogy never happened...

Cheech n' Chong's "Up In Smoke" ( 1978 ) is the greatest stoner flick of all time.

As for documentaries,

"Psychonautic's: A Comic's Exploration of Psychedelics" (2019) is a funny and lighthearted stand-up comedy special/documentary on psychedelics. Highly worth the watch.

"Clouds Are Not Spheres" (2011) - goes into the history of fractal mathematics.

"Everything and Nothing: The Amazing Science of Empty Space" (2011) talks about space and the universe, but what fascinates me is how they go into the history of our different models of the universe. I'd highly recommend an edible for this one Big grin .
"And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

AikyO
#25 Posted : 4/19/2020 2:34:13 PM

Neō KyK ĖntheŌnaut

So there's this tv show named See, it's produced by Apple and is surprisingly good.

It's a post apocalyptic world where humans have lost sight and are all blind. Come forth children with the gift of eyes unclouded by obscurity. So the concept is great, visually it's stunning - it's nature only 90% of the time, wandering through the woods and rivers, it's gorgeous - and the direction is always purposeful in the way it depicts this world, to make you feel how they perceive things. The cast is diverse and there's all kinds of crazies. Loads of action too and it's pretty brutal, both graphically and for the limbs of the protagonist.

There's something very eerie in looking at blind people on screen, when you can see so clearly because the image is so sharp and impacting. Has a unique touch. And amid a sometime bunky start it gets good, keeps at it and ends on a great note. An interesting take on Plato's Cave overall. It's eight episodes and also fits quite well with the quarantine mood.
安心精神芝簡単吸収前進
'''.'''''...'''''''..'~>\\\*'*¤@¤-.*;,^/ò°ò\^,,;*.-¤@¤*'*///<~'..'''''''...'''''.'''
*/(°_-_-_-_-_-_-,-:_:°_°::.:..((<u><u><u><u><u><vvv><vvv><vv><vvv>((",°^°FFF[[[--°°°___<<<```///---_°°°<<`_`_`°o°o°O°O°.°-)-(-°..°o.)°..O))°°(O°;';;'';;;''<°<°<<°°°<°°°<<<°°__-_---___---_°_°°___°°--°°_---____/__//___//__///__/_///_/_///_//o°oo°°oo°°oo°oo°°°ooo°o°o°o°o°o°°o°o°o^°^°^^°^°^°^°,,-.'''..--''__--```((-°-),-.-,,((),)(),)
.°o;;;^`^_<<<8>>>_^`^,,,O.°

Bill Cipher
#26 Posted : 4/19/2020 6:21:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If there are any weird art afficiandos amongst you, I recommend a brand new documentary call The Illumination of Jim Woodring. You can access it here:

http://floodmagazine.com...0L9b2-RZeR_j4QhM8ASixyIM

I don't know about the rest of youse, but I have always found something eerily familiar in his particular visual language.

HolderChert
#27 Posted : 4/21/2020 10:26:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The Good Place!

null24
#28 Posted : 4/21/2020 4:11:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Bill Cipher wrote:
If there are any weird art afficiandos amongst you, I recommend a brand new documentary call The Illumination of Jim Woodring. You can access it here:

http://floodmagazine.com...0L9b2-RZeR_j4QhM8ASixyIM

I don't know about the rest of youse, but I have always found something eerily familiar in his particular visual language.

Oh cool! I have not seen anything by him in some time, JIM is an all time fave comic. His art comes from visionary experience and expresses the mystery of such very well...

I'll have to check out the doc later.
Thanks for the suggestion...
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

f1
#29 Posted : 4/22/2020 6:43:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I really like Vinyl: Thumbs up

https://youtu.be/73mr9nUE2I8
In the dance of astral hyperspace, we learn, grow, and connect. Here's to our shared journey through the cosmic tapestry! ✨🌌

Metta-Morpheus
#30 Posted : 4/22/2020 3:00:25 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Midnight Gospel

It’s new on Netflix. A cartoon by Duncan Trussel and the Adventure Time artists. Holy psychedelia Batman! My wife, our friend and I tripped last night, they took acid, and I shrooms with some Harmalas. We put the show on with our music playing and tv volume off. Just the visual animation was insane. The most trippy cartoon I’ve seen. And we were thinking the whole time, what could the dialogue we muted possibly add to this insanity. But sure enough, we rewatched some episodes with the volume on this time, and holy shit, the dialogue potentiated the trippyness. They talk some super deep, quantum, philosophical, interdementional stuff. I think it’s part podcast that they animate. Anyway, 100% worth checking out, especially tripping. In fact, you may have to be tripping to appreciate it. I haven’t watched it sober yet.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Propello
#31 Posted : 4/24/2020 5:35:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nick cave 24h live

Praxis.
#32 Posted : 4/25/2020 4:07:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
Midnight Gospel

It’s new on Netflix. A cartoon by Duncan Trussel and the Adventure Time artists. Holy psychedelia Batman! My wife, our friend and I tripped last night, they took acid, and I shrooms with some Harmalas. We put the show on with our music playing and tv volume off. Just the visual animation was insane. The most trippy cartoon I’ve seen. And we were thinking the whole time, what could the dialogue we muted possibly add to this insanity. But sure enough, we rewatched some episodes with the volume on this time, and holy shit, the dialogue potentiated the trippyness. They talk some super deep, quantum, philosophical, interdementional stuff. I think it’s part podcast that they animate. Anyway, 100% worth checking out, especially tripping. In fact, you may have to be tripping to appreciate it. I haven’t watched it sober yet.

I came here to suggest this if nobody else had yet. I'm not normally into animated stuff but this instantly grabbed my attention with the first episode and totally blew me away! The crazy (and grotesque) animation can be a lot to take in all at once with the word-salad dialogue, but it gives the show a ton of replay value. The last episode is beautifully done and is probably one of the best animated sequences I've ever seen. Can't recommend this enough!

If anyone is into older movies, Altered States is a super corny and low-budget tribute to psychedelia from the early 80's. Loosely based on the work of John C. Lilly, it follows a scientist researching altered states of consciousness by taking psychedelic mushrooms in a float tank - but with an 80's sci-fi twist! Definitely worth checking out Big grin
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Duncan Disorderly
#33 Posted : 4/25/2020 5:42:31 AM

DO NOT READ THIS!

The Fifth Element.

Peace.
DD.
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” -R.I.P. Terry Pratchett

GARGA BLARG BLARG!

Dharma Mantra Tantra

null24
#34 Posted : 4/26/2020 3:40:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Watched the first couple episodes of midnight gospel... Not sure what I think. Honestly, I don't trust Duncan Trussel as far as I could throw him. I soured on his podcast and developed a perception of him as a privileged professional salesman of elitist spiritual bypassing.

While there are some great nuggets of wisdom in it, it is hard for me to listen to someone who has no experience with hardship talk about suffering and freedom from it. I think I'd rather watch an interview show that has some entertaining elements than an animated show with a nonsensical background "plot" evolving behind the conversation. I mean, in episode two what was that part about DT needing to take a shit while impaled on the face of the hippo thing? Is that supposed to be a lesson in service or something, from the mind of someone who thinks being served is being allowed to crap on someone's face? I'm confused by the whole mess.

Honestly, I think that any positive review of this show emerges from a vacuum of alternatives in the entertainment spectrum.

And Altered States, my God what can one say- Ken Russel continuing to wrestle with his Catholic Demons on film, in Dick Smith's masterwork of practical effects. I saw that in the theater when I was ten years old and it hit me hard, I read the book in sixth grade and it helped create a fascination with altered consciousness.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Duncan Disorderly
#35 Posted : 4/26/2020 9:22:17 PM

DO NOT READ THIS!

null24 wrote:
Watched the first couple episodes of midnight gospel... Not sure what I think. Honestly, I don't trust Duncan Trussel as far as I could throw him. I soured on his podcast and developed a perception of him as a privileged professional salesman of elitist spiritual bypassing.

While there are some great nuggets of wisdom in it, it is hard for me to listen to someone who has no experience with hardship talk about suffering and freedom from it. I think I'd rather watch an interview show that has some entertaining elements than an animated show with a nonsensical background "plot" evolving behind the conversation. I mean, in episode two what was that part about DT needing to take a shit while impaled on the face of the hippo thing? Is that supposed to be a lesson in service or something, from the mind of someone who thinks being served is being allowed to crap on someone's face? I'm confused by the whole mess.

Honestly, I think that any positive review of this show emerges from a vacuum of alternatives in the entertainment spectrum.

And Altered States, my God what can one say- Ken Russel continuing to wrestle with his Catholic Demons on film, in Dick Smith's masterwork of practical effects. I saw that in the theater when I was ten years old and it hit me hard, I read the book in sixth grade and it helped create a fascination with altered consciousness.

Good to hear someone make a similar assessment as I did about Midnight Gospel and Duncan. As you said, there are some nuggets of wisdom, while at the same time he pontificates about something he clearly can't comprehend to a full extent. Being a poor little trust fund baby does not equate to hardship.

Wow! Altered States. Now, that's a film I haven't watched in a long time. A long time. Wink

Peace.
DD.
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” -R.I.P. Terry Pratchett

GARGA BLARG BLARG!

Dharma Mantra Tantra

hug46
#36 Posted : 4/26/2020 10:24:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I got a recommendation of the midnight gospel from a friend who's opinion on these matters i trust but it didn't grab me. I don't know much about D.Trussell so i cannot really say that he has a good understanding of philosophical/spiritual/metaphysical type stuff, or not. But i read that the guy has had testicular cancer. The big C has got to stand for something in the hardship/understanding life department?

A good film i watched recently......

horror Bill wrote:
Hereditary - Just gave it a second watch. Believe the hype. It's awesome!

Thanks a bunch for that recommendation . Now i am too scared to go to bed!

All that talk about suffering and wisdom reminded me of this sketch.....

Which leads on to me recently finding a dvd of this great movie.

Gonna watch it with my kid. Hope it's not too scary for her , she's only 3 and 3 quarters.

Praxis.
#37 Posted : 4/26/2020 11:00:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah null I don't think that's unfair. I don't know much about Duncan Trussel at all so I can't speak to that, but the episodes can definitely be hit or miss. I like the format and think there's some cool potential there though. The animation can feel disconnected and non-sensical at times, but it also syncs (or more often contrasts) with the dialogue in interesting and unnerving ways. I think it's intentional but I can see that being off-putting for a lot of people.

I would still recommend trying the very last episode even if the rest of the show isn't your thing. It starts off slowly but the animation is easy to follow and builds on itself, ending with a touching psychedelic finale.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

GoneWiththeWind
#38 Posted : 4/27/2020 12:39:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Color Out of Space on a solid dose of shrooms was amazing. We started to peak as the movie devolved into chaos... felt like we weren't gonna make it out alive. Mandy is solid too- Nic Cage is on fire with these trippy movies

null24
#39 Posted : 4/27/2020 5:37:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hug46 wrote:
?

A good film i watched recently......

horror Bill wrote:
Hereditary - Just gave it a second watch. Believe the hype. It's awesome!

Thanks for mentioning A Dark Song. It's a little known film and the best representation of ceremonial magic I've seen put to film. My only complaint is that the end kind of collapses visually, as if the art team was fired or the production ran out of money, but still... Great movie.

I feel like I should re-recommend Hereditary in every single answer in this thread. If you call yourself even interested in horror, you owe it to yourself to watch.

I watched Aster's sophomore effort, Midsommar, again the other day and have to say it is way better in the second watching. A lot of the stuff I missed the first time caught my attention and my original estimate of it being lesser than Hereditary is now in question. That all the horror and chaos explodes in full daylight is something else. Still almost feel sorry for Christian though. Nebulous villains, love it. I also love the little musical nods to the original Ken Russel Wicker Man- another gem every horror aficionado must see.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

AikyO
#40 Posted : 4/27/2020 8:32:16 PM

Neō KyK ĖntheŌnaut

Hereditary and Midsommar parallel each other a lot, they are some common motifs to investigate that could spice up your re-watches.

In my eyes, at some point, nothing that happens in Hereditary is true but lies from the mother spelled on screen to the point of being invraisemblable.

Midsommar is just pure bliss and hit the zenith when it sacrifices its viewer like a deity.

安心精神芝簡単吸収前進
'''.'''''...'''''''..'~>\\\*'*¤@¤-.*;,^/ò°ò\^,,;*.-¤@¤*'*///<~'..'''''''...'''''.'''
*/(°_-_-_-_-_-_-,-:_:°_°::.:..((<u><u><u><u><u><vvv><vvv><vv><vvv>((",°^°FFF[[[--°°°___<<<```///---_°°°<<`_`_`°o°o°O°O°.°-)-(-°..°o.)°..O))°°(O°;';;'';;;''<°<°<<°°°<°°°<<<°°__-_---___---_°_°°___°°--°°_---____/__//___//__///__/_///_/_///_//o°oo°°oo°°oo°oo°°°ooo°o°o°o°o°o°°o°o°o^°^°^^°^°^°^°,,-.'''..--''__--```((-°-),-.-,,((),)(),)
.°o;;;^`^_<<<8>>>_^`^,,,O.°

PREV1234NEXT»