We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Purpose of Oral Freebasing? Options

King Tryptamine
#1 Posted : 2/23/2020 5:47:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wasn't too sure on the whereabouts of posting a topic like this, anyway...

I've recently developed a borderline sinister habit of coca chewing and one question I have that keeps popping up is just how the alkaline substance used in conjunction with the plant material works in increasing the efficacy or delivery of the alkaloids be it the cocaine in coca, nicotine in tobacco, arecoline in betel nuts, etc...

The answer I've often thought about was that the corrosive property of these proton acceptors helps break down the plant matter aiding in the dispersal of the alkaloids as well as other compounds trapped within the plant material. However can't acids be used for this purpose is well? Especially considering the fact that the salts formed are more water soluble than there freebase counterparts and appear more easily absorbed by internal membranes, be it the oral or nasal mucosa, so why wouldn't it make more sense to use an acid instead of a base for this purpose?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Homo Trypens
#2 Posted : 4/14/2020 10:05:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

I think this was an interesting question, even though i have no coca to chew Razz

I found out that german wikipedia's entry for coca is much more detailed than the english one. I'll translate a small but very relevant part from the section about usage.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocastrauch#Verwendung wrote:
Die gekauten Blätter bilden, zusammen mit Kalk und anderen Hilfssubstanzen (zum Beispiel Pflanzenasche, Quechua llipt’a), eine sogenannte bola. Zur Herstellung der llipt’a dienen verschiedene Pflanzenarten, darunter Chenopodium quinoa (ilucta), Chenopodium pallidicaule und Baccharis-Arten.

Untersuchungen haben darüber hinaus gezeigt, dass beim Kauen von Coca-Blättern der von der Andenbevölkerung jeweils praktizierte Zusatz von Kalk das ursprünglich in den Blättern vorhandene Alkaloid Kokain durch alkalische Hydrolyse in das Alkaloid Ecgonin umwandelt, ein Alkaloid, dem jedes Suchtpotenzial fehlt.

my translation wrote:
The chewed leaves, together with calcium hydroxide and other helper substances (eg. plant ashes, Quechua llipt'a), form a so-called bola. Various plant species serve to make the llipt'a, including Chenopodium quinoa (ilucta), Chenopodium pallidicaule and Baccharis species.

Beyond that, studies have shown that the addition of calcium hydroxide, as practiced by the Andean population, by alkaline hydrolysis converts the alkaloid Cocaine originally contained in the leaves into the alkaloid Ecgonine, which lacks any potential for addiction.

From the back of my head, i think the calcium hydroxide typically comes from ground shells.

* edited to correct mistranslated calcium carbonate to calcium hydroxide.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 4/16/2020 1:00:04 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The freebase absorbs more readily through the oral mucosa than the protonated alkaloid does.

"Kalk" here is taken to mean calcium hydroxide. Calcium carbonate is insufficiently basic (or at the very least, insufficiently soluble) for this purpose. Burnt snail shells are an effective source of calcium hydroxide.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Homo Trypens
#4 Posted : 4/18/2020 7:26:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Oh, thanks downwardsfromzero for pointing that out!

I'll edit my translation real quick.

King Tryptamine
#5 Posted : 4/18/2020 8:30:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

About bloody time guys, Thank you! Smile