We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Make it dry... Options

distopia
#1 Posted : 12/29/2009 10:21:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Anhydrous reagents are important.
SWIM tried both the extremes of the line (magnesium sulfate anhydrous and molecular sieves) but SWIM is not satisfied.
The perfect drying agent should be:
1)pellet size (no dust to settle)
2)cheap
3)easy regeneration
4)visual indicator of water absorption (color or volume change)

MSA has 2 and 3, but is quite boring waiting the dust to settle, and the dust can contaminate the final product.
Otherwise you have to discharge the bottom layer of your reagent. That's a waste.

Molecular sieves have just the 1.
They are great in selective molecular catch but are quite a pain in the ass to regenerate.
They need a vapor column otherwise the structure will break.

Do you know the perfect drying agent?
Browsing the net SWIM found this product "Quik 'n' dri" (first link on google), that seems to have all the four points.
It's an hydrophilic polymer used in bio-diesel homemade processes.
But SWIM cannot find an EU reseller.

SWIM really like to have a cup of perfect drying agent, to reuse infinite times avoid the "problems" of anhydrous reagents.
Any advice? Homemade bio diesel field seems to have a lot a potential candidates, maybe you know a nice polymer that can be used.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 12/30/2009 12:32:17 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

so...what exactly are you looking to do here? I'm not sure I'm following exactly, perhaps if you elaborate slightly on your intentions, goals, and thinking someone could be of more help. It's not readily apparent, at least to me, what you're looking to do and in relation to what. Just a couple more sentences could probably go a long way in getting you the answer you seek.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

endlessness
#3 Posted : 12/30/2009 12:37:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

he wants a method/tool to easily dry solvents (basically removing water content from them) Smile

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 12/30/2009 12:56:18 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

but just in general? This is what was confusing me...I'm trying to figure out what sort of application this would have with what extractions. My chemistry knowledge is pretty much solely a result of my personal interests, so it's a little all over the place, but I like to build on it whenever possible. I guess I'm just missing the purpose/benefit of this.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

distopia
#5 Posted : 12/30/2009 1:51:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
I guess I'm just missing the purpose/benefit of this.

Well, this sounds strange Smile
FASA requires anhydrous acetone.
FASI requires 99% ( "or better" ) IPA.
Even in STB with naphtha could be a good step to remove any water with a pinch of drying agent.

drying agents are useful, unless someone is working with FASW Smile

The point is that SWIM really doesn't like the dust of magnesium sulfate or the problem into regenerate molecular sieves.
None has an alternative?

Thanks

burnt
#6 Posted : 12/30/2009 10:26:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Drying large amounts of water with drying reagents like MgSO4 is impractical you need so much. If you have like 50% wet acetone a gentle distillation (below 100 C) is far more effective. After a gentle distillation if can then be dried over MgSO4.

distopia
#7 Posted : 1/5/2010 10:05:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Drying large amounts of water with drying reagents like MgSO4 is impractical you need so much. If you have like 50% wet acetone a gentle distillation (below 100 C) is far more effective. After a gentle distillation if can then be dried over MgSO4.

SWIM doesn't have large amount of water to dry.
He's just looking for a effective and convenient drying agent (no dust and easy recovering teck)
So strange people is still dealing with magnesium sulfate, it's so uncomfortable!

Fell free to give any advice and thanks for the replies!

amor_fati
#8 Posted : 1/6/2010 12:05:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM's never had any problems working with MgSO4, and it seems to work just fine for most. If it's a problem for SWIY, drop a fortune on drierite, but SWIM doesn't think that it's such an issue considering that SWIY's not performing any chemistry that a couple percent of moisture contamination's really going to effect significantly.

If dust in the solvent is SWIY's problem, SWIM deals with it similarly to this: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Amor_f...of_DMT#Drytek_Conversion in THP with just magnesium sulfate and cottonballs. SWIM's stopping use of toxic solvents altogether recently, however.

distopia
#9 Posted : 1/6/2010 10:51:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

amor_fati wrote:
SWIM's stopping use of toxic solvents altogether recently, however.

Several years ago, SWIM has his/her first real aya ceremony with a shaman in Peru.
Among other things SWIM felt that there is something really wrong and deeply invasive in the chemical way to the plants.
My shaman told me that there are several spirits into a single plant.
Those connected to the active part, the keys that open the door, and those connected to the plant herself/himself, the vessel that hosts those keys.
SWIM felt that the chemical way, the continue research for a better tech, the most useful way to pull out every mg of spice... are a sort of... rape of the vessel.
This knocked SWIM down, violently.
SWIM is not an hypocrite. SWIM is a urban human being, lives in a city, doesn't have a piece of land or a jungle. SWIM can't be self sufficient. Cant grow his/her own plants building a nurturing a relationship. All the problems you all know.
SWIM asks his/her shaman how to contact the spirits of the vessel and when SWIM finally grant this contact SWIM asks for a permit.
The spirits told SWIM this: (I try to translate as better as I can)
"Dont worry. You can do it. We can Handle it. You will reach us. We are waiting for you."
Since that day one of SWIM's main goal in life is to have a piece of land, to be self sufficient.
When SWIM will have this (all SWIM's life is on this direction), the only chemicals will be water and fire and fresh plants.

All this just to say that If you are already come back to the ground you have all my respect and my envy (in a good way).

Anyway.
Thanks for the reply, I know THP, SWIM already builds something similar Smile

amor_fati
#10 Posted : 1/7/2010 1:01:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM understands the impulse toward the more naturalistic approach to DMT, but SWIM's struck his path purely for the sake of ergonomics and efficiency. The minor health benefits and the reduction of ecological impact are definitely perks, and SWIM does feel a bit closer to the process--though hardly in an animistic sense; his methods do still rely heavily on industrial society, however.