We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
New reason for Psilo blue-coloration? Options

Brennendes Wasser
#1 Posted : 4/10/2020 1:07:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Hi there!

I have come across a Journal translated "News from Chemistry", which is mostly about new emerged stuff. In this Journal there was an article about the blue coloration of Psilos when you bruise their tissue. As it was derived from a recently published paper, I guess this is a kind of new theory so it may be new to many people here.

The "traditional" coloration reason given by wikipedia:

Quote:
This reaction is thought to be due to the oxidation of psilocybin after the outer surface of the fruit body has been breached.[19] The degree of bluing in a Psilocybe fruit body roughly correlates with the concentration of psilocin in the mushroom.

Not really in detail, also it seems there is not much other info around. I just found this, where in 1967 it was stated a chinone-like molecule is derived.

Now the article in that journal is focused on this paper (doi: 10.1002/anie.201910175). Here they describe the coloration in deep according to their theory as the following:

Upon tissue damage multiple enzymes convert the molecule as follows:

psilocybin (1) --dephosphorylation--> Psilocin (2)

Psilocin (2) --single-electron-transfer--> radical intermediate (thing with red dots)

reactive intermediate --> dimers (5,6) or oligomers (7-11)

Now the author also talks about the possible reason for this reaction and its physiological functions.

According to most theories the psilocin is a protection against animals who may feed on them (irony people actually eat it because of that ...).

But the author has developed a second theory:

According to him the oligomers may be the actual biologically active species, which is not a psychotropic agent, but has a direct protection function.

According to him these oligomers may produce reactive oxygen species (by conduction the single-electron-transfer) when they enter the basic, oxidative digestive system of insects or their larvae. Also they may bind to proteins of their digestive system and cause a precipitation, rendering them either useless or even kill the animal.

He mentions this would explain the rather unconventional usage of a Phosphate group to inactivate the 4-OH of the more reactive Psilocin. The dephosphorylation reaction is very fast to conduct and may be used to switch the molecule from harmless to harmful for certain insects.

So basically an oxidation reaction is still also involved, but if its true what the author said, its much more fancy than just "yeah buddy, your Psilo oxidized, still good to use!"

Actually when I think about it, if the author is correct, then all people should avoid bruising their mushrooms, as this would reduce their Psilo content (ok, maybe its not making a difference, but who does not want to go the most efficient way Big grin ).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SynKyd
#2 Posted : 4/10/2020 7:10:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting information, thank you for sharing this. I don’t think you can avoid some bruising in the harvest process, just need to get them dried quickly to maximize potency is the general consensus with most producers of this amazing medicine.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 4/10/2020 8:55:47 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Information about this paper was also posted here last December:
Injury-Triggered Blueing Reactions of Psilocybe “Magic” Mushrooms
and later, Mystery of why magic mushrooms go blue solved.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Brennendes Wasser
#4 Posted : 4/29/2020 6:14:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Ohh well indeed Rolling eyes The nexus is attentively Thumbs up . Also regarding the question whether the coloration should be avoided, well I guess it would be a hard time to investigate how much psilocybin/psilocin is destroyed that way ...

But most often dying agents deploy their coloration already at mikromolar concentrations, so I guess people are not having a too bad time harvesting them with force ... Embarrased