We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
In quarantine/lock down Movie/TV thread Options

null24
#1 Posted : 4/4/2020 6:56:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Like almost everyone else in the world, I am spending alot more time indoors lately. Confused I have heard the adage that only boring people get bored but I don't think that is true, and as a way to combat boredom, thought that starting a thread with ideas and discussions about interesting movies and TV shows out there that are keeping us entertained during our respective locale's shelter-in-place orders.

-I just finished watching The Wave (2019), the psychedelic adventure that was mentioned by a few other members. I found it highly entertaining, even though the philosophy presented didn't always`land well with me. Regardless, it has some great performances, and the last part did have an emotional impact with me. I wouldn't mind talking about this movie, it has a ton of hidden stuff in it.

-Also watching Westworld season 3, and am on the fence with how it is developing, although like other seasons of the show, all the narrative chaos`will hopefully gel into some more cognitive-consciousness existential gnostic mindeffery. It could be shaping up to be the most disturbing season yet.I love WW so far... I'm also really digging the art design on the world outside the park's simulation, the sets and vehicles are really pretty cool and fascinating concepts.

-DEVS is another interesting show in it's first season involving a Google-like company screwing around with universal determinism on a quantum-level in the cause of re-constructing a lost past... Another pretty good show dealing with some pretty cool philosophical concepts. Even if at times it is pseudo-intellectual, showing characters playing mind-games to illustrate the gigantic fore-brains, it is fun and is still TV. The tech portrayed in it is pretty amazing too.

I found everything mentioned in this post on torrent, hypothetically one could download them for free.

-I'm a big fan of horror, and some of y'all might like Midsommar, if you haven't seen the College Kids Visiting a Nordic Mushroom Death Cult flick yet, it is pretty cool. Ari Aster who directed the occult masterpiece Hereditary, presented it as his sophomore effort, and while it plays with some safe directorial territory he developed with Hereditary, Midsommar is an evolution of his genre film-making, and I'm excited to see more. The way Midsommar brings the horror into bright sunlight is pretty well-done, as none of the terror in the story-line is hidden, and everything is in plain sight to the victims of tragedy from the very get-go, as is often the case in reality. Not as foreshadowing, but outright warning that is ignored for personal and usually selfish reasons.

-Speaking of occult horror (heh heh), if you have not seen Rosemary's Baby, you are missing out on the movie that may have inspired Hereditary. Watching it knowing what happened in real-life to Sharon Tate makes it more disturbing. A Dark Song, about a murdered boy's mother misguidedly seeking revenge through the working of an elaborate, weeks-long ritual (A filmic representation of the Abremelin Working) and the results, is a compelling film, and is probably both the best representation of mechanics of ceremonial magick (regardless of 'accuracy' ) and how it works. It seems the production ran out of money or simply had a lacking art/VFX team behind the conclusion, but it is still a very good meditation on giving oneself over to something entirely emotional without working through the consequences.

-And jeez, Nicholas Cage. What can I say, I used to hate him, but since Mandy I have become a fan of his new stuff at least.(Just watch it- if you need prodding: Satanic bikers genetically altered by "special" LSD kidnap Cage's girlfriend and mad colorful chaos ensues. Ultraviolence in ultraviolet- like an old Heavy Metal magazine on the brown acid.) . Color Out of Space (no 'u' ) succeeds on many levels, and is maybe the best Lovecraft movie since Reanimator, I can't wait for Dunwich Horror, if production on new films ever resumes.

So there's nine questionably useful ideas for home entertainment. Stay safe! Wash your darn hands!

Avoiding spoilers makes discussing movies difficult, but maybe if anyone is interested we could start a discussion thread that those who don't want spoilers can avoid?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dragonrider
#2 Posted : 4/4/2020 7:04:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't become addicted to bingewatching series though. You'll become like an astronaut that spent months in weightlesness and get a hernia, just from getting up from your sofa.

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 4/4/2020 7:28:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Watched Contagion the other night, it's a great film for this situation! Very applicable!

I like Westworld. I'm on season 2 myself.

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Mr. Robot. Love Death and Robots. Altered Carbon. Sense 8. Outsider (show based on a Steven King novel). These are some that I've watched lately and enjoyed.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

null24
#4 Posted : 4/4/2020 7:33:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
Don't become addicted to bingewatching series though. You'll become like an astronaut that spent months in weightlesness and get a hernia, just from getting up from your sofa.

I have boundaries...It's on a timer...
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Handel
#5 Posted : 4/4/2020 8:15:41 PM

Little sheep lost in woods

I'm watching the same as the OP (Devs, Westworld, Color out of Space). I would just add The Lighthouse, and THE WAVE which is DMT-related. Highly recommended. And if you're into indies, consider watching Cosmos (by the Eliander brothers, 2019), which was shot for just $8k using a cheap camera, but with excellent, professional results. For aspiring filmmakers, this is a milestone.

Eaglepath
#6 Posted : 4/4/2020 8:16:01 PM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

Sword art online
"Too cute to live, too cozy to die" - Eaglepath

dragonrider
#7 Posted : 4/4/2020 8:46:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Last time i spent a lot of time behind a screen, i watched all the harry potter movies in three days time.

They are actually pretty good, i think.

Most of these epic movie series are somehow lacking in the "human interest" department: dialogues are uninteresting or make you cringe, like in the star wars movies, and characters are totally flat or artificial.

This is not realy the case with the potter movies. I find most of the characters in it quite relatable, except maybe some of the villains.

Sunnyside
#8 Posted : 4/4/2020 10:59:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A couple of documentaries -

Miles Davis - The Birth of the Cool

I'm Your Man - Leonard Cohen
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

Chimp Z
#9 Posted : 4/5/2020 2:39:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Been on the movie kick recently with the quarantine world, I'll share what I've watched recently.

Grand Isle(2019), Sicario(2015), Bug (2006), Captive State(2019), Bone Tomahawk(2015), Dragged Across Concrete(2018 ), If A Tree Falls(2011), Asylum Blackout(2011), Brawl In Cellblock 99(2017), The Prestige(2006), The Decline(2020), Coffy(1973), Source Code(2011), 28 Weeks later(2007), Flu(2018 ), End Civ(2011), A Quiet Place(2018 ), Monos(2019), Apocalypto(2006), Edge of Darkness(2010), Yardie(2018 ), Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans(2009), El Topo(1970), Holy Mountain(1973), The Matrix(1999), A Scanner Darkly(2006)

Jees
#10 Posted : 4/5/2020 12:51:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good for filling 9 minutes of your quarantine day:

Propello
#11 Posted : 4/5/2020 1:36:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Studio ghibli has many movies on Netflix now. Best Japanese anime ever. Start with Princess mononoke or chihiro and the witches.

Series.:
Taboo, westworld, Rick and morty.

Jin
#12 Posted : 4/5/2020 2:54:21 PM

yes

Recently saw a series called - for all mankind
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

null24
#13 Posted : 4/5/2020 3:51:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So for today's entertainment offering, I'm thinking of looking for Bliss(2020). Apparently in the movie, Bliss is a drug. In the preview I saw, a narrator said something like " It's the closest they have come to mixing pure COCAINE & DMT" Laughing Like that would be somehow hard to do. Seems like it's about an artist who cannot handle her drugs and starts sacrificing kittens or something. It looks absolutely shite, and doubtfully watchable, but I am a sucker for psychedelic drug movies. I'll give my questionably relative review later...

I also have been searching for a good UFO flick (besides CEot3K, which is the genre gold standard), and watched Dark Encounter yesterday. If you are into stories that completely collapse in the third act and meanly poke you in the eye when you expect a wrap up and instead deliver a completely unintelligible mess as if the entire film is a practical joke on your expectation of cohesive story-telling, then go for it. It made Signs seem good. Otherwise, you are warned.

Also watched Toho's Destroy All Monsters last night, now THAT'S a good movie.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

DoingKermit
#14 Posted : 4/5/2020 6:23:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

High Maintenance is probably my favourite show at the moment. So beautifully done and really nails the colourful and quirky aspects of being human.

AikyO
#15 Posted : 4/5/2020 8:33:24 PM

Neō KyK ĖntheŌnaut

Nice to see Midsommar being mentioned. Quite the trip ^^

There's a Korean zombie tv show that is quite amazing called Kindgom. It is set in a traditional setting and this definitely sets it apart, making for some beautiful scenery (candle lighting my love) and games of court that are unusual of the genre. There's two seasons, quite hard not to keep watching because of its very dynamic story telling and engaging narrative.

Also gazed upon Sea Fog yesterday, another Korean production, a movie that is quite heart wrenching and impactful. There's something not to reveal about the plot but it's about a group of fisherman taking aboard refugees, a lot of beauty in a sometime mesmerizing atmosphere, stirring intimacy in the wave of disillusion.

And for japanese anime that's lesser known: Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (all Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work is great, very trippy), Lodoss Wars (high fantasy pure visual style), Windaria (jewell of tragic mythical proportions) and A Tree of Palme (a scifi blend of moebius art style, pinochio's stuff and asseasoned of some Akira, it is very slow and eery be prepared).
安心精神芝簡単吸収前進
'''.'''''...'''''''..'~>\\\*'*¤@¤-.*;,^/ò°ò\^,,;*.-¤@¤*'*///<~'..'''''''...'''''.'''
*/(°_-_-_-_-_-_-,-:_:°_°::.:..((<u><u><u><u><u><vvv><vvv><vv><vvv>((",°^°FFF[[[--°°°___<<<```///---_°°°<<`_`_`°o°o°O°O°.°-)-(-°..°o.)°..O))°°(O°;';;'';;;''<°<°<<°°°<°°°<<<°°__-_---___---_°_°°___°°--°°_---____/__//___//__///__/_///_/_///_//o°oo°°oo°°oo°oo°°°ooo°o°o°o°o°o°°o°o°o^°^°^^°^°^°^°,,-.'''..--''__--```((-°-),-.-,,((),)(),)
.°o;;;^`^_<<<8>>>_^`^,,,O.°

Bill Cipher
#16 Posted : 4/5/2020 10:50:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
So for today's entertainment offering, I'm thinking of looking for Bliss(2020). Apparently in the movie, Bliss is a drug. In the preview I saw, a narrator said something like " It's the closest they have come to mixing pure COCAINE & DMT" Laughing Like that would be somehow hard to do. Seems like it's about an artist who cannot handle her drugs and starts sacrificing kittens or something. It looks absolutely shite, and doubtfully watchable, but I am a sucker for psychedelic drug movies. I'll give my questionably relative review later...

Bliss is pretty weak, IMO, but this is what else I've been watching on lockdown:

1917 - Awesomeness. Complete friggin' awesomeness. The whole movie is one long, continuous unbroken shot.

Parasite - Really good. Not as good as 1917, but still really, really good.

The Hunt - Meh. Love the concept of snarky liberals hunting Trump supporters for sport, but still, just meh. It's an amusing enough way to pass an hour and a half I suppose.

Vivarium - Double meh. Kind of felt like a quarantine allegory, but still, I give it a tepid meh. I still have yet to not be annoyed by Jesse Eisenberg in anything.

Guns Akimbo - I liked it. Adult Harry Potter wakes up with two pistols bolted to his hands, and is forced to take part in an internet hunger games kind of deal. The girl from Ready or Not is his competition, and she is a friggin' star. Good, clean, grindhouse fun, if you go in for that kind of thing.

The Invisible Man - Super cool new twist on an old story. Really taut and suspenseful.

Ozark (Season 3) - It's Breaking Bad lite, but still pretty fun.

Narcos Mexico (Season 2) - Fun for the entire family.

Chernobyl - Fabulous, but terrifyingly familiar to what's going on right now. There's a scene where workers are sent up on to the roof to sweep away radioactive graphite, but they can only be there for 90 seconds, max, or they'll melt inside their hazmat suits. Exactly how I feel every time I venture out for groceries.

Tiger King - I'm just a couple of episodes in, but it's chock full of the beautiful people. Americana at it's best!

Hereditary - Just gave it a second watch. Believe the hype. It's awesome!

Jees
#17 Posted : 4/6/2020 1:57:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Gracie family is quite intreguing.

Propello
#18 Posted : 4/6/2020 10:02:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9641192/

Green frontier or frontera Verde. Series from the amazon jungle, crime, magic and more.

I liked it a lot, can be seen on. Netflix.

hug46
#19 Posted : 4/6/2020 10:55:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Our little famiky has been locked up for 3 weeks now. I spent the first two weeks being ill and my partner is still ill. Our kid was ill for 3 days. Doctor reckons it's the virus, but without tests i am not sure.

We are down to iron rations. I ate the packets of potato chips and the emergency mars bars in the first couple of days. The heavy scent of body odour is mixing with the fumes of an of atrophied sock that has been abandoned under the kitchen sink for i don't know how long. The malaise is too over powering for us to do anything except argue about who has first dibs on netflix. Sooner or later i will have to venture out to find us some vittles, as i am starting to salivate when i see the child's buttocks. I hope it doesn't come to that. But someone has to live to tell the tale, and i feel that it needs to be me.

Anyways here are some of the films and stuff i that i have been watching...

The Mule....Clint Eastwood 88 years old and being doddery. I cannot tell whether he is doddery in real life, or whether he is playing doddery person in the film, or whether he is playing a person in a flim that is pretending to be doddery. Which is cool. Cos i can't tell. And i like that.

Dolemite is My Name...Eddie Murphy. Good fun film. Wesley Snipes is great in it, playing a ham actor.

Caliphate..A Swedish series about radicalisation of teenage girls. I rate a series on whether i want to see what happens next and i have started loads of series and not finished them. Probably because i have a short attention span at times. But with this series i did want to finish.

Ford vs Ferrari... big budget story about the GT40 taking on the ferraris in the 60s. Loved it. But i am a bit of a petrolhead and a nostalgia freak.

You Were Never Really Here....I watched this cos i was impressed with Joachim Phoenix in the Joker. Here he plays a troubled, claw hammer wielding paedophile basher. .

Better Call Saul..You know it makes sense.

Scott Walker 30th Century Man...music doc.

I am also trying to watch a Steven King mini series called the Stand about a lethal pandemic in America, but the streaming service seems to have messed up the order of the episodes as there is a big chunk missing. This series is from the 90s and, to be honest, looks a bit dated. It was probably good at the time. I remember seeing the Stephen King mini series Salem's Lot in the late 70s/early 80s and it scared the living crap out of me. I would probably laugh at it now.

Of the stuff that's been listed by other members..Westworld is a yes from me, Ozark-yes,I've seen Bone Tomahawk (is that the one where the indian splits a guy in half with a jawbone or some such?), Ghibli -yes. I couldn't get on with the wave. I liked the end cos it made me feel all fluffy and teary in a nice way. I thought it was a bit boring otherwise. I probably wasn't paying attention enough if there was loads of hidden stuff going on in it. And i also may not have liked it because it was 1 hour and 27 minutes long. I have an illogical disdain for films in the 90 minute bracket and therefore the film may have been ok but my brain played tricks on me, relaying some sort of confirmation bias that it was shit.

I will be watching Birds of Passage next. As far as i can see it's about colombia and marijuana in the 60s. I will check the Miles Davies doc as well. I have started to listen to a bit of jazz in the last few years.

observe
#20 Posted : 4/7/2020 1:47:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Synecdoche, new york - is a horror movie

123NEXT»