We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Albizia family and dmt Options

BundleflowerPower
#1 Posted : 1/27/2015 8:07:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When I first became interested in dmt and other entheogenic plant compounds, I looked at all the lists of tryptamine containing plants. Just now I was doing this again and noticed something that I missed the first time. Albizia Inundata contains dmt in its leaves. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_inundata

This got me thinking about albizia jullibrisin.. Again. Considering that different plants in the same genus tend to contain similar secondary compounds, perhaps we should re-examine the common albizia, but instead of looking at the bark, look at the leaves instead.

Has anyone done this? Or is anyone aware of any research that has ruled this out?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 1/27/2015 9:25:30 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

So, at first glance, I thought that the reference was bunk. The wiki article doesn't cite a page and the only Albizia species listed in the index in my copy are:

A. anthelmintica
A. julibrissin
A. lebbeck
A. zygia

At a glance, none of them are mentioned in relation to DMT.

So, I started looking up the synonyms and sure enough, Acacia polyantha is in the Encyclopedia. However, Ratsch gives a different author than the wiki for the supposed acacia and explicitly says "syn. Acacia suma," indicating the plant he is discussing as having the accepted name of A. polyantha is also referred to as A. suma. Using the authors he provides, I tracked down the accepted name for that plant (it looks like he may have made a typo) which is Acacia polyacantha.

Additionally, the statement made for this plant in the book is "The leaves apparently contain N,N-DMT." No source given for this claim. We've already shown at least one of Ratsch's speculative claims to likely be bunk (DMT in B. muricata leaves), so I'm not too comfortable taking his word without further evidence, especially such a throwaway sentence as presented above. The other mention of polyantha is on a chemical constituents table for "Betel quids," which he sourced from other authors. A. polyantha has zero active constituents listed in this table.

Ratsch makes mention of A. camplyacantha syn. A. polyacantha ssp. camplyacantha containing DMT in the leaves, but this plant isn't suggested as a synonym for A. inundata anywhere in any literature.

So essentially, even if we take the dubious sentence on good faith, we are ultimately left with two acacias, zero albizias, and a bunch of confused botanical nomenclature. As the question of DMT-containing albizias is no longer on the table, imo (at least, not based on this reference) and as Trout has already treated the acacias in question, I'm going to go ahead and bang my gavel, declaring my lack of belief in the albizia claim unless someone can point out something I missed in the nomenclature.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

MaNoMaNoM
#3 Posted : 1/27/2015 9:26:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is worth a try, i haven't thought about the leaves.
i've tried an A/B/S extract on the root bark with nothing being extracted..
Planing to try a more simple extract like just water or alcohol eventually,
but i'm more interested in using the flowers for that.

(talking about Albizia Jullibrisin of course)

Another possibility is the seed pods. Thumbs up
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

BundleflowerPower
#4 Posted : 1/30/2015 1:11:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I guess I didn't realize that Wikipedia was so unreliable.

Chimp Z
#5 Posted : 5/15/2015 11:29:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

More than likely no DMT in Albizia Foliage, I've drank many teas of Elaeagnus Umbellata and Hippophae Rhamnoides with the addition of fresh harvested Albizia leaves and definitely nothing of the sort from that.
A thick brew of 10-15g each of fresh dried Ginkgo Biloba and Albizia Julibrisson leaves did in fact produce some effect on my body and consciousness. I would honestly go walking around on an ounce of Peruvian Torch than pick up groceries on that combo again. Sort of made me hyper-sensitive and nearly paranoid to venture further.

Each plant is unique.

Maybe wikipedia says no DMT, what say nature?
My initial experiments with the tincturing and brewing of Albizia foliage was under the assumption that the same constituents as were in the bark and twigs were in the leaves. I do notice a small difference in effect between leaf tincture and bark tincture(using alcohol), though nothing I would guess DMT to be a part of. There is also other factors to note, namely environment and the tree in particular. Harvested all this in late spring/early summer. Make sure to not harvest foliage from parks where pesticides are sprayed!

Acid to Base it. Post some results!

BundleflowerPower
#6 Posted : 3/31/2020 3:18:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chimp Z wrote:
More than likely no DMT in Albizia Foliage, I've drank many teas of Elaeagnus Umbellata and Hippophae Rhamnoides with the addition of fresh harvested Albizia leaves and definitely nothing of the sort from that.
A thick brew of 10-15g each of fresh dried Ginkgo Biloba and Albizia Julibrisson leaves did in fact produce some effect on my body and consciousness. I would honestly go walking around on an ounce of Peruvian Torch than pick up groceries on that combo again. Sort of made me hyper-sensitive and nearly paranoid to venture further.

Each plant is unique.

Maybe wikipedia says no DMT, what say nature?
My initial experiments with the tincturing and brewing of Albizia foliage was under the assumption that the same constituents as were in the bark and twigs were in the leaves. I do notice a small difference in effect between leaf tincture and bark tincture(using alcohol), though nothing I would guess DMT to be a part of. There is also other factors to note, namely environment and the tree in particular. Harvested all this in late spring/early summer. Make sure to not harvest foliage from parks where pesticides are sprayed!

Acid to Base it. Post some results!

I may just do that, acid to base it.

I was looking through my old posts and noticed your reply. Since then I planted an Albizia in the back yard grown from seed. I think I may try to tincture different parts of it like you said, and maybe experimenting with it in other ways too. It’s just leafing out a lot now.

And I still haven’t given up hope that Albizia creates DMT, or perhaps something novel. I feel there’s more novel psychedelics out there in plants waiting to be stumbled upon.

Btw, I wonder how many different kinds of compounds can be extracted through acid - base extractions.

Chimp Z
#7 Posted : 3/31/2020 9:34:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey nice to hear you’re growing Albizia!
I have since tinctured more Albizia Julibrissin leaves, flowers and bark with no psychoactive effects. It works very well to provide calm clarity throughout my day. A very enriching mood medicine.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12920839/

Also a tree that speaks to me is Paraserianthes Lophantha or ‘Plume Albizia/Stink Bean’ previously classified as Albizia Lophantha. Each time I come across this tree in nature I get the feeling it may have secrets to offer to the medicine seeker.

Always be cautious and respectful to the trees 💜

Oh and the combination of Gingko Boloba + Albizia Julibrissin leaves could be worth looking into.

nen888
#8 Posted : 3/31/2020 10:22:00 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..good to see plant wizards BundleflowerPower and Chimp Z still kicking about..

from memory (haven't had time to dig up the refs again) , Albizzia julibrissin does contain a tryptamine, in that serotonin (5HT) was found in it..i also recall spermine alkaloids being found in it..which derive from spermadine (which has been found in one or two acacias, as well as, yes, sperm)..like acacias that don't contain dmt, there are all sorts of possibilities for neurochemical and medicinal action here, and mood modulation is pretty important..hyperspace alone does not necessarily make for a better life in this far out existence of being in a human body..
i'll dig about the papers when i can..

keep up the great respect for plants and experimentation!

Edit: serotonin & noripinephrine (Applewhite 1973) - i checked the acacia thread - also a lot of other things in there of course..