We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Caapi vine tea question Options

SynKyd
#1 Posted : 3/19/2020 6:16:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have some tea I brewed a few months ago and left in the fridge. It was filtered at the time, but a significant amount of sediment has fallen out the to bottom of the jar. I’m aware there is an egg white reboil method to remove tannins, my question is should I just try to pour the tea without the sediments before I reboil and prepare for the equinox ceremony tonight..........appreciate any advice you can provide.

For reference, 75g yellow caapi vine ground to a fine powder, simmered for tea and then strained through a coffee filter. Refrigerated for several months. Roughly 1/2 inch of sediment in a 2 quart jar with 1 quart total volume.

Love

Thank you friends!
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Jees
#2 Posted : 3/19/2020 6:33:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would filter it, even if this allegedly loses a fraction of potency within the solids discarded.
Just to spare the stomach from irritation.
The egg white will catch some, I would still filter it before the egg white tek.
You can't do wrong either way, but catching sediment can become a reflex.
Happy trials Smile

SynKyd
#3 Posted : 3/19/2020 6:48:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! I will follow this advice it is where I was leaning, just wasn’t sure if it was safe to presume most of the actives would be in the liquid at this point since it was previously filtered.
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.

Asher7
#4 Posted : 3/19/2020 6:57:48 PM

Professional Tracker

Are you sure it’s still good if it’s been sitting in the fridge for months?

Freezer might have been a better choice for storing it months.

SynKyd
#5 Posted : 3/19/2020 7:56:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Smells ok, no visible mold or nastiness. What would I look for as far as “good” goes? Do you mean actives degraded or something else?

Asher7
#6 Posted : 3/19/2020 10:55:27 PM

Professional Tracker

I just mean it might have spoiled in there. You may want to reboil it real quick just to kill anything growing in there, I suppose that would work.

SynKyd
#7 Posted : 3/20/2020 2:21:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I was gonna reboil and do the egg white trick on the tannins then reduce it to a cup or so........it should be plenty clean!

pinkoyd
#8 Posted : 3/20/2020 5:15:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

If it's thick it'll stay good in the fridge for years. The alks don't seem to degrade either. From the title of the thread it sounds like it's a vine only brew? If so there's no need to do egg white fining, since vine only doesn't taste that bad. If there's chacruna in there then egg white fining will tone the tannins down for sure.
I already asked Alice.

SynKyd
#9 Posted : 3/20/2020 6:08:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Correct vine only.