We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psychoactive Terminalia species? Options

mindbody
#1 Posted : 8/28/2013 2:37:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

By an accident, on the same day, I stumbled upon 2 things:
1) Anecdotal quotes on the net referring to psychoactivity of Terminalia bellirica nuts.
2) The said nuts in a Thai medicinal herbs store.

Here is an online quote attributed to Ott:
Quote:
Terminalia bellirica (Gaertner) Roxburgh (Combretaceae)—bahera, bellerian myrobalan The Lodha of West Bengal eat the dried seeds of this plant in order to induce hallucinations. In Southeast Asia, the seeds are known for their narcotic properties. They are used in traditional Chinese medicine as an anthelmintic agent, in Kerala to treat asthma, and in Nepal as a laxative (Ott 1993,420*)

Any thoughts on what to take of it? Here is a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminalia_bellirica

I do not recall any mentions of other psychoactive plants in the Combretaceae family. Am I wrong?

Related Terminalia catappa, aka "sea almond", is a popular, widespread and beautiful tropical tree with edible fruits and nuts, dispersed by the sea.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

mindbody
#2 Posted : 8/28/2013 5:09:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've downloaded a scan of Ott's Pharmacotheon, and I confirm that the above quote is correct.

Ott refers to D. C. Pal, S. K. Jain, "Notes on Lodha medicine in Midnapur District, West Bengal, India", Economic Botany, October–December 1989, Volume 43, Issue 4, pp 464-470, which write:
Quote:
Terminalia bellirica Roxb./Combretaceae/Mar-May/'rale-daru'/Pa122/Tree occurs throughout the western part of district/Lodhas eat dried kernels for hallucination; the narcotic property is known in southeastern Asia (Perry 1980)...

Both Ott and the Indian authors above refer to this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Me...heast-Asia/dp/0262160765

Chewy
#3 Posted : 2/28/2020 11:14:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry for the thread resurrection but did anyone ever find out anything more about this species?

Think it is used in triphala which is a great tonic herb mix(keeps you extra regular like those happy people on yogurt adverts) but I'm interested if there are any effects on its own other than that.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/29/2020 12:53:14 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

D. C. Pal, S. K. Jain, "Notes on Lodha medicine in Midnapur District, West Bengal, India", Economic Botany, October–December 1989, Volume 43, Issue 4, pp 464-470
Amazing what one can find on Wikipedia...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Chewy
#5 Posted : 3/6/2020 2:45:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
D. C. Pal, S. K. Jain, "Notes on Lodha medicine in Midnapur District, West Bengal, India", Economic Botany, October–December 1989, Volume 43, Issue 4, pp 464-470
Amazing what one can find on Wikipedia...

I have read the Wikipedia and the abstract of that article (don't have full access) but it still doesn't tell me much unfortunately 😔

Chewy
#6 Posted : 3/6/2020 5:37:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Deleted

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 3/6/2020 9:59:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Et voilá!

Excerpts of possible interest:
Quote:
Amaranthus spinosus L./Amaranthaceae/'achpar-ba', "Janum leper-ara'/
Pal 4/An abundant weed/Lodhas smoke powder of dry roots for halluci-
nation. Eating paste of root can cause temporary insanity.

Artemisia nilagirica (Clarke) Pamp./Asteraceae/Sep-Dec/'ote-palandu'/Pal
/Shrub, also planted in Lodha hut/Smoke of burning dry leaves induces
sleep. Its sedative property is known in southeastern Asia (Perry 1980).
Santals apply leaf oil as local anesthesia.* Oraons smoke dry leaves for
hallucination.

Paspalum scrobiculatum L./Poaceae/May-Oct/'jome'/Pal 49/Grass occur-
ring wild; also cultivated/Lodhas take outer covering of dehusked grains
for hallucination.

Terminalia bellirica Roxb./Combretaceae/Mar-May/'rale-daru'/Pal 22/Tree
occurs throughout the western part of district/Lodhas eat dried kernels for
hallucination; the narcotic property is known in southeastern Asia (Perry
1980).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli