We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Why wash solvents after pulls? Options

Homo Trypens
#1 Posted : 3/1/2020 9:46:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Well, if acetone gets into the base soup, some of the freebase should dissolve in it and not migrate to the nps, so it could affect yield in the end. I guess the ratio of water to acetone would play a role for the extent of the effect.

One tiny counter question:
I did my first FASA from limonene last weekend, and i noticed the fumarate precipitates very slowly. Do you think adding some neutral dry acetone before adding FASA would be a good idea, to have less viscous liquid and faster precipitation?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Hailstorm
#2 Posted : 4/24/2020 3:48:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Do not consider layer separation to be precise just because it looks precise. In reality there is a cloud of solvent A molecules in solvent B, and a cloud of solvent B molecules in solvent A - the closer you are to the separation line, the dirtier each solvent is. You can shrink that cloud by waiting, salting, etc. but it is always there. Read up on "partition coefficient". Washing pulls is meant to remove some of the junk that has migrated into the solvent.