We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
AeroPress for faster filtering? Options

grollum
#1 Posted : 7/3/2018 9:49:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just finished another extraction and was really frustrated about the time which is needed for all the coffee-filter filtering. Also the filter is soaking much of the goods from my solution.

Some days ago I stumbled upon the AeroPress coffee machine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress

It can not handle much fluid but might be a good thing for smaller amounts of solution.

What do you think. Anyone experiences with it?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 7/3/2018 10:43:05 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aeropress is great for making hot aqueous extracts from roasted coffee beans. The oils from the coffee help to lubricate the plunger but not all other plant matter will have this effect.

Don't try filtering hot acid cooks of MHRB as the tannins precipitate out very rapidly with falling temperature to make an impenetrable sludge layer. MHRB tea is best filtered cold, after allowing the tannins to precipitate, and either by carefully decanting or syphoning the liquid away from the leathery tannin layer.

I can't remember if I filtered syrian rue tea with an Aeropress. Maybe I did. Again, syphoning or decanting delays clogging of the filter. Waiting overnight for solids to settle can be conveniently multi-tasked with a beneficial activity such as sleeping so it may be worth the patience.

Thinking of getting an Aeropress? Just get an Aeropress!

Happy brewing Smile

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Chan
#3 Posted : 7/3/2018 10:53:21 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

In a word, no.

It's tiny, the pressure is significant, and the filter paper is very fine, and easily burst. And the stainless disk alternatives don't catch much at all.

I agree, the concept has great potential, but having tried it with various brews, it's not up to the task. Perhaps if you have a small amount of cloudy concentrate, that you really need to clear.....but the refrigerator is just as good, if not better, for that kind of stuff.

It's also very plastic ("food safe polyester resin" IIRC?) so not very durable in contact with many solvents.

Could've been perfect, but it's nowhere near, IMO.

We all need to chip in, and get a good centrifuge Big grin
β€œI sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: β€œare all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

ΰ₯

grollum
#4 Posted : 7/4/2018 6:12:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys. I think I don't get one then. Smile

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Waiting overnight for solids to settle can be conveniently multi-tasked with a beneficial activity such as sleeping so it may be worth the patience.

I realized that for example rue extraction only makes sense if you let things settle over night. I filtered through like 10 coffee filters and still have a milky fluid. Maybe I should get a good separation funnel instead of the aeropress then?

chan wrote:
but the refrigerator is just as good, if not better, for that kind of stuff
What do you mean by this? Letting settle in the fridge? Or is a colder temperature good for anything else? Is the settling faster in the fridge?

Chan
#5 Posted : 7/4/2018 9:02:13 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

grollum wrote:
What do you mean by this? Letting settle in the fridge? Or is a colder temperature good for anything else? Is the settling faster in the fridge?

Yes. Fine sediments settle out best if chilled overnight, or maybe even for a few days for say, rue extracts. Once clear, decant carefully, using a filter/funnel to trap anything that strays over.
β€œI sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: β€œare all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

ΰ₯

Moxx
#6 Posted : 2/24/2020 2:25:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Resurrecting an old topic with new info. Behold the harmalog-cabin, made possible by the wonderful AeroPress. I'm still writing up the full tek, this is a sneak peek.
Moxx attached the following image(s):
harmala-logs.jpg (779kb) downloaded 132 time(s).

endlessness
#7 Posted : 2/24/2020 9:41:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

imo its highly recommended to get a vacuum filtration kit, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/1...d=1582537108&sr=8-12

plus this:

https://www.amazon.com/M...id=1582537231&sr=8-2

Im curious about your experience though, Moxx

Moxx
#8 Posted : 2/24/2020 5:20:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One of the things that's important to me is not having any kit around me that even remotely resembles things used by certain folks who participate in significantly less-savory processes. While proper and extremely useful, a buchner funnel, erlenmeyer flask, and handheld vacuum pump definitely falls into that category.