We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Boiling flask with NaOH cracked during heating Options

Fractalus
#1 Posted : 2/8/2020 1:46:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a 5l flask just bought 3 weeks ago so its practicly new.
the flat bottom boiling flask was cleaning with NaOH to remove the burned residue from the last extraction, and put on gas-stove for about 10 min and then its cracked Sad
the glass bought from deschem and its usually good quality, is NaOH should not be boild on stove within boiling flask, or its manufactor problem? for next time should i put a ceramic net gauze between the fire and the flask?
though the minds may be different, the body forms may be different
it is through the heart that we recognize our spirits are one.

everything im writing is a complete fiction and it is only a reflection of my imagination.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

blue.magic
#2 Posted : 2/11/2020 9:22:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Your flask probably broke from thermal stress due to uneven heating.

Note that although borosilicate glass (e.g. Boro 3.3) can withstand pouring boiling water, it can easily crack when encountering sharp temperature differences of 160 degrees C and more.

That happened to me too when I used gas stove. I cracked another flask by immersing it in an ice bath while it was containing suspension of temperature >150 °C. Not a good idea.

If you really need to use gas stove, I would pre-heat the flask first by swirling it over the flame, until it is evenly heated up...

NaOH is not that big of an issue unless concentrated (KOH is slightly worse).

Fractalus
#3 Posted : 2/11/2020 11:36:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Uneven heat maybe the case here, althow i first mix NaOH and water for 30 min which makes lot of heat and then put it on the stove so it wasnt radical heat change like put hot flask in ice

so next time should i use a ceramic net gauze? its only on the stove when i make essential oils, with all other organic solvent it of course on the stirrer

thats a bit scary because it could happend during distilling DCM/Xylen/other smelly solvent which can make the neigbours smell it and thats of course really not a good idea..

so that it was a manufactur problem or wrong use?

everything im writing is a complete fiction and it is only a reflection of my imagination.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/17/2020 6:42:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Wrong use.

'Back in the day' we always avoided heating flat-bottomed flasks with a direct flame. In fact, any boiling would be carried out in round-bottomed flasks. The spheroidal shape is more resistant to the expansion and contraction forces.

Either way, the ceramic coated gauze should be your standard practice when using flame to heat glass flasks for anything but a brief moment.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Fractalus
#5 Posted : 2/24/2020 12:39:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i asked the supplier and he said water/oil bath>heating mantle>hotplate>net ceramic gauze>fire