We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
P. Cyanescens myc., blue bruising? Options

PlantPipeline
#1 Posted : 2/16/2020 2:51:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HiSmile

I have a quick question regarding my psilocybe cyanescens mycelium, which I am propagating.

I collected the mycelium from a wild patch I found a few years ago. Thing is, I dug it out the year after I found the specimens and at that time there weren`t any fruit bodies.
Lately I noticed that P. Cubensis mycelium blues, but my assumed cyanescens myc. stays white, despite touching/hurting it.

So does anyone know if woodlover-myc. should blue aswell (Logically I think they should blue, as they have more alkaloids) ? If they do, I may have collected the wrong mycelium Very happy

I am grateful for any opinions : )

PlantPipeline

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

PlantPipeline
#2 Posted : 2/18/2020 7:24:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think I found the answer myself Smile

Apparently psilocybes start producing the alkaloids only when they start fruiting. At that point it should theoretically be possible to see the bluing reaction in the mycelium aswell.
So the only way to see if its actually the right mycelium, is waiting for the mycelium to fruit

endlessness
#3 Posted : 2/18/2020 9:31:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually in most Psilocybe mushrooms the mycelium does produce psilocybin, generally less than fruiting body but still significant (I just recently posted something related here)

Also, the relationship between blue-bruising and psilocybin content is not exactly clear. While often it can be a good indication, its not necessarily related. For example check this quote:

Gartz et al 1994 wrote:
Psilocybin was found to be present in the cultured, non-bluing mycelium of P. sumuiensis grown on 6% malt agar. Amounts of psilocybin, ranging from 0.24% to 0.32% dry weight, were analysed in 5 different batches of mycelium grown over a 4-week period.

On the other hand, apparently some Boletus as well as some Mycena mushrooms will bruise blue and not contain psilocybin (Voogelbreinder 2009)

Here's an interesting article on the relationship between bruising and psilocybin content, and a theory on why it may happen. In Trout's Some Simple Tryptamines book he also discusses other hypothesis and proposed molecule structures for this phenomenon.

null24
#4 Posted : 2/19/2020 5:07:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Not so much. Bluing that is. Maybe hyphal knots just prior to fruiting, but I've never seen it. Next time, you might want to wait until it fruits and use stem butts....
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

PlantPipeline
#5 Posted : 2/20/2020 12:53:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your help, both of you!Smile

I was aware that mycelium produces alkaloids aswell but I didn`t know at what stage.
Yeah, next time I will cut stembutts and rule out the risk of collecting the wrong ones...I should have done it in the first place. It would be rather frustrating to make the effort to cultivate it, just to end up with the wrong fruits Laughing

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 2/20/2020 1:27:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Stem butts to cardboard is an excellent non-sterile technique for propagating woodlovers. I've posted about this around here somewhere, once or twice.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli