We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pest Control - Fungus Gnats Options

King Tryptamine
#1 Posted : 2/9/2020 11:57:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello! I wasn't too certain on the whereabouts of posting a subject like this but since this issue concerns the "ethnobotanical garden" I saw fit to post it here.

The problem at hand would be a recent infestation of fungus gnats and the first of which I've encountered ever in my grow room-tent containing my beloved cannabis and khat plants. Since this is my first encounter with this type of problem, I'd like to know from any growers on the forum on how to go about riding my self of each and everyone of these irritants? I'm just not comfortable having them around my babies, please help!

I have had one thought spring up in my small brain, this would be growing some N.rustica's close in proximity to the cannabis and khat to sort of act as a natural fly paper, poisoning these little buggers with a sticky lethal dose of nicotine Twisted Evil

P.S. Hope no one finds I'm being too cruel about this matter. It's just that again, I can't have these irritants which I've got no prior experience in dealing with and therefore no knowledge on the type/extent of damage they could cause anywhere around my poor babies.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Grey Fox
#2 Posted : 2/9/2020 4:38:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to hear about the gnats KT. From what I undetstand, they appear when the soil is consistently too wet. Is it possible that you have been ovetwatering? It might be helpful to allow the soil to dry out somewhat and then think about watering less often after that, as long as your plamts can handle that change. Best luck with fixing this problem.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Exitwound
#3 Posted : 2/9/2020 10:37:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh these little flickers, how I used to hate them. Danger for plants is mainly not mature gnats, but larva which likes to feed on sugar-laden roots.

They are pretty hard to get rid of, especially if you have several plants nearby and they get a chance to contaminate soil of several plants.

Like Grey Fox wrote, watering regime is one of the most effective ways to get rid of them. Try watering your plants as seldom as possible. Keep top layer of soil dry or maybe cover soil with layer of sand, so that gnats can't get out of soil after hatching.

I also tried various oils, spirits and even hydrogen peroxide, but they seemed to persist through all of that.

In the end I had to use insecticide (https://www.syngenta.co.uk/product/crop-protection/insecticide/actellic-50-ec), but you have to be careful with it. It is administered with water to the plant, so if you plan to consume plant later, you need to wait for harvest 30-40 days after using insecticide for it to go out of the plant system.

P.s. Also I'd suggest using just plain simple sticky fly trap as mitigation measure, somewhere nearby plants - it catches a lot of them.

King Tryptamine
#4 Posted : 2/10/2020 10:02:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a bunch for the advice-information on getting rid of these irritants the both of you! Love