We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Recrystallization via Water/Acetone Options

gibran2
#1 Posted : 9/2/2010 2:56:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I’ve been thinking about alternatives to recrystallization and purification of DMT using NP solvents – the thread here is my first idea. Another idea is the use of a binary solvent. The ideal binary solvent for crystallization is one where both components are fully miscible, the solute is very soluble in one of the solvents and practically insoluble in the other. Acetone + water seems to be a perfect choice.

---- Dissolve DMT in a minimal amount of warm acetone.
---- Add warm water dropwise just until precipitation is observed.
---- Allow solution to slowly cool.

DMT should crystallize. Has anyone ever tried this? Will it work?
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

dg
#2 Posted : 9/2/2010 7:07:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

fyi, those are both polar solovents

not sure if it'll work, also not sure why that'd be better than crashing out with heptane for example

do the work and post results

gibran2
#3 Posted : 9/2/2010 7:40:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

dg wrote:
fyi, those are both polar solovents

not sure if it'll work, also not sure why that'd be better than crashing out with heptane for example

do the work and post results

"I’ve been thinking about alternatives to recrystallization and purification of DMT using NP solvents"

As I said in the first post, I'm looking for alternatives to using non-polar solvents, so of course I would be looking for polar solvents to do the job.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

MelCat
#4 Posted : 8/28/2011 9:26:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you ever give this a shot?
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 8/28/2011 10:01:43 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

reversed acetone bombing - spice into acetone - add water - out falls cleaner spice.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

MelCat
#6 Posted : 8/28/2011 10:51:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmmm... I've got some jungle goop that won't harden... I've pulled it with naptha a couple of times to get any nn- out so I might give this a shot on it to see what happens.

Anyone else care to try this out? I'm interested to hear the results...
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

fathomlessness
#7 Posted : 1/11/2020 4:41:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

9 years on, Benzyme with the results:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...px?g=posts&m=1033964

Jees
#8 Posted : 1/11/2020 4:44:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fathomlessness wrote:

We should keep an eye on the typical distinctions between the methods, it makes the two different teks.

1) In gibran2's approach the 2 (water and acetone) will purposely stay in a mixed phase:
gibran2 wrote:
...The ideal binary solvent for crystallization is one where both components are fully miscible...

2) In Benzyme's approach the two will purposely separate (due elevated pH of the water, the water and acetone become separated).

benzyme
#9 Posted : 1/11/2020 5:46:48 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

because acetone has a single proton acceptor, and no donor, it is miscible with water at low to neutral pH, but immiscible at high pH. this is why it can act as an extraction solvent, and a recrystallization solvent for salts.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

fathomlessness
#10 Posted : 1/12/2020 12:03:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
fathomlessness wrote:

We should keep an eye on the typical distinctions between the methods, it makes the two different teks.

1) In gibran2's approach the 2 (water and acetone) will purposely stay in a mixed phase:
gibran2 wrote:
...The ideal binary solvent for crystallization is one where both components are fully miscible...

2) In Benzyme's approach the two will purposely separate (due elevated pH of the water, the water and acetone become separated).

Thanks for clearing that up Jees, I was still unsure if I had understood it all correctly.

is there any trial data to suggest gibran2's tek works as effectively as Benzymes? An uneducated guess would make me think that not all the DMT would crash out of just warm water and acetone.