We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What's the highest temperature freebase can withstand Options

PsyDuckmonkey
#1 Posted : 12/30/2018 2:17:20 PM

witch

I've been fishing around, and so far hadn't found this data point yet, only vague allusions. 180C seems to be the consensus for vaporizing freebase, and there are sentences dropped here and there like "at much higher temperatures DMT will burn, producing less potent and harsh smoke". Well I'm really curious what's "much higher"?

What is the temperature below which DMT freebase doesn't burn at all?

At 250C it seems to burn. I tried heating a crack pipe with a hot air gun dialed in to 250C, and it burned quite a bit of spice, leaving a thick brown residue. Does someone have the data for this? What's the lowest temperature that burns freebase?
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Brennendes Wasser
#2 Posted : 1/19/2019 5:46:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Well I thought 150 - 165 °C is the perfect temperature to evaporate it, I am really sure that this is the correct number ;O

Also it seems that all *Conduction* Heating Systems always burn spice, which is really strange to me, as I thought this would be a better method than *Convection* (Convection = Pipe where you inhale hot air through Spice like GVG, Conduction = you heat spice through the wall of your pipe like the pipe you mentioned).

I read that already at 170 °C the vapor is not that smooth anymore and starts getting nasty.

What I recommend is:

Building something like the *Green Buddha* (its here on the forums), this is a DIY-clone of the GVG and with this you can totally adjust the heat with your Torch Lighter and evaporate Freebase ultimately smooth.

I think this is a better option than Changa, also IMO Conduction Systems are not as great at all, even though the *Yocan Pen* was praised as one - but I dont really agree ... : /

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 1/19/2019 7:17:41 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Interesting post. This kind of question sets me wondering whether it's purely thermal decomposition or if oxygen plays a role. What would happen if DMT was heated by a stream of hot argon? Could a vaporizer be made that utilises a stream of hot inert gas? Would it perhaps be necessary to add oxygen back into the vapours to prevent asphyxiation?

And at that point it starts to sound hopelessly over-engineered Big grin

PsyDuckmonkey, have you calibrated the temperature of your hot air gun? This would be desirable for the data to be reliably useful.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PsyDuckmonkey
#4 Posted : 1/19/2019 7:33:57 PM

witch

downwardsfromzero wrote:
PsyDuckmonkey, have you calibrated the temperature of your hot air gun? This would be desirable for the data to be reliably useful.

Yep, I started with that. Smile It's reasonably stable and correct with a plus/minus 5 degree error.

Asher7
#5 Posted : 1/19/2019 9:37:05 PM

Professional Tracker

Where is the vaporization point we are looking for at, before or after the boiling point? Looks like if 305F is a good starting point then we’re shooting past 212. Is the 305F the “exact moment” vapor starts appearing or would vapor begin to appear at a lower temp but 305 is the best temp for hit worthy vapor?

Anyone got a temp controlled vape mod?

DansMaTete
#6 Posted : 1/19/2019 9:51:56 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

With a volcano, up to 230°C no burned or harsh vapor (or very lightly). My setup is 220°C.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Asher7
#7 Posted : 1/20/2019 5:31:50 AM

Professional Tracker

Would you mind listing your set up? I’m trying to figure a way to do a “conversion equasion” for people (like myself) who don’t run temp control. (I’ve not ever gotten tc wire to try out yet).

What’s the rundown on your mod, tank, coil count/style and then ohms, volt, watts and battery specs? Is the volcano a hand held or one of those table units that fills bags?

PsyDuckmonkey
#8 Posted : 1/20/2019 9:42:26 AM

witch

The Volcano is the big stainless steel cone (it actually is shaped like a volcano) that fills bags. It's a convection vaporizer, so it doesn't have a tank, coils, batteries, or any of that stuff. You put in a liquid pad, put the spice on that, and fire away. What happens is that basically a big heavy hairdryer starts blowing controlled temperature air through that, into the balloon.

padawan
#9 Posted : 1/22/2019 3:01:30 AM

forever learning

I've found that 215-220 degC in a Volcano Digit is about right. Beyond that I can feel harshness, and much less the vapour is too thin.

RoundAbout
#10 Posted : 1/22/2019 10:23:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Interesting post. This kind of question sets me wondering whether it's purely thermal decomposition or if oxygen plays a role. What would happen if DMT was heated by a stream of hot argon? Could a vaporizer be made that utilises a stream of hot inert gas? Would it perhaps be necessary to add oxygen back into the vapours to prevent asphyxiation?

And at that point it starts to sound hopelessly over-engineered Big grin

Sorry if this is off topic, but below is a quote about a conduction vape filled with Ar, apparently it's used by the Temple of Awakened Divinity's (T.O.A.D.) for synthetic 5-MeO-DMT... it's called the "Lamp of Invisible Light":

Quote:
"The Lamp of Invisible Light" which is an argon gas piston vaporizer utilized to administer highly accurate doses in the most efficient manner possible. However, this could easily apply to other, more common methods of administration, that effectively allow for full vaporization to occur. The pipe was made from a glass cylinder approximately 6 inches tall by 2 inches in diameter. On the bottom was a brass plate with a hole drilled and a small brass pipe stem was affixed. Inside the tube was a moveable piston with a leather seal. The crystals were placed on the brass plate and the tube was filled with Argon gas (used by wine connoisseurs to prevent oxidation) A butane flame was held under the brass plate until the carefully measured 15 mg of magical substance was completely vaporized, filing the pipe with cottony smoke. We inhaled the vapor in one large breath, until the piston moved down to the bottom of the pipe.

Not even a stream of Ar and it's already sounding pretty fancy. Sounds like they can get away with conduction in the presence of Ar... or at least that sounds like the idea behind this contraption.

sbios
#11 Posted : 1/4/2020 1:33:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

seems to me it has a lot to do with the mod and atomizer in how the heating process goes so the TC setting is not accurate in how fast the actual temp reaches at the point. From couple sources online that dmt boiling point ranges from 60 C to 80 C. So with the more efficient setup, anything above 200 C might already risk burning the spice. I've had a close call using the same temp setting from a previous mod build to the new mod setup.