We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mystery of why magic mushrooms go blue solved Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 12/11/2019 9:50:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The pigment, as it turns out, is not just a single compound but a complex mixture of linked psilocybin oxidation products. Most of them are quinoid psilocyl oligomers – compounds not unlike indigo, a deep blue pigment used to dye jeans. ‘[The blue compounds and indigo] share structural similarities in the indole core, and in both the basis for the colour is a quinoid,’ says the study’s lead author Claudius Lenz.

All of the six mushroom pigments the team identified are products of a cascade reaction starting with psilocybin. A phosphatase enzyme takes off its phosphate group, converting it into psilocin. An oxidising laccase then creates psilocyl radicals, which combine to form C-5 coupled subunits and then further polymerise via C-7. ‘I think they did a beautiful job of showing the cascade reaction,’ says Jaclyn Winter, who studies natural product biosynthesis in bacteria and fungi at the University of Utah, US.

What exactly the blue pigments do, however, remains a mystery. ‘Our hypothesis – and we don’t have any evidence for this yet – is that it might serve a protective role, like an on-demand repellent against predators,’ says Hoffmeister. The compounds might produce reactive oxygen species, which are toxic to any insect nibbling on the mushrooms. ‘I think we’re going to see a lot of follow-up studies on the true ecological role of these molecules,’ Winter says.

https://www.chemistrywor...e-solved/4010870.article

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Loveall
#2 Posted : 12/12/2019 3:04:01 AM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Thanks, interesting comments. The original paper can get found here: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=92269
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

DeDao
#3 Posted : 12/12/2019 2:13:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Forgive me if it's already obvious.

But does bruising and bluing decrease potency at all? Is the psilocin degraded ?

Good topic.

Still more to learn, obviously.
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 4/10/2020 9:04:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

DeDao wrote:
Forgive me if it's already obvious.

But does bruising and bluing decrease potency at all? Is the psilocin degraded ?

Good topic.

Still more to learn, obviously.

That's a pretty good question, it turns out.

The psilocin is used up by linking together into short chains (oligomers). It seems particularly unlikely (but not altogether impossible) that the psilocin could be recovered from these oligomers. The right catalytic hydrogenation might do it at a push.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Eaglepath
#5 Posted : 4/10/2020 10:33:18 PM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

The blue pigment shows us which ones to pick.. obviouslyCool
"Too cute to live, too cozy to die" - Eaglepath

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 4/11/2020 12:33:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Eaglepath wrote:
The blue pigment shows us which ones to pick.. obviouslyCool

Not quite. A considerable number of non-psilocybin mushrooms also turn blue, some of them toxic.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Eaglepath
#7 Posted : 4/11/2020 7:35:16 AM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

Damn itConfused

Love
"Too cute to live, too cozy to die" - Eaglepath