We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Did Buddha regret leaving his wife and child? Options

seagull
#21 Posted : 12/9/2019 1:53:41 PM

Hello world!

I just dont see the point of leaving any one behind?
You&Iverse

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Eaglepath
#22 Posted : 12/9/2019 1:56:14 PM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

seagull wrote:

Who are you and who could you possibly leave behind? And where would that behind be? And where would you go that is so different from the behind?Smile
"Too cute to live, too cozy to die" - Eaglepath

seagull
#23 Posted : 12/9/2019 2:05:04 PM

Hello world!

Eaglepath wrote:
seagull wrote:

Who are you and who could you possibly leave behind? And where would that behind be? And where would you go that is so different from the behind?Smile

Hi brother,

I don't think it is worth leaving behind a relationship that i have spend so much time and effort into. Especially if nothing is out of the ordinary.

I know its probably more exciting to live the bachelors life and all but i think its nice and easy to be settled as well. It makes life so comfortable..

Im not sure if a comfortable will help me make me grow as a person but i know that ditching people without reason also doesn't make me grow as well.

Maybe im confused as to why Buddha needed to be enlightened so bad? Am i missing something here?
You&Iverse

OneIsEros
#24 Posted : 12/9/2019 4:14:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

seagull wrote:
Maybe im confused as to why Buddha needed to be enlightened so bad? Am i missing something here?

Because he clearly perceived the reality of existential suffering, what it would take to overcome it, and that because his life path had been preordained for him by the political nature of the circumstances of his birth, the only option he had to address the universal problem of suffering was to abandon everything.

You do not need to do this. There is a world religion working on what he pioneered. If you have a wife and kids, you may feel comfortable attending to that, and get at it next lifetime.

Or join a Japanese Buddhist sect! They allow family life for their priests and nuns.

OneIsEros
#25 Posted : 12/9/2019 4:17:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Eaglepath wrote:
seagull wrote:

This is one of those cases where the “yeah, but, what is like, ‘self’, man?” thing is problematic.

There’s a Pali sutta where the Buddha pointedly reminds his followers that they are responsible for the consensus-reality level of their personal identities. Don’t get cheeky. He walked out on his wife and son. It was intense. This sort of thinking is generally used to justify atrocity wherever it arises in Buddhist history.

I realize what you have said is just goofy rather than ominous - but if you want to understand this, I advise against a goofy form of reflection - or at least reflect on the deep reasons why such superficiality is not a liberated understanding. The Buddha did not take suffering lightly - including, I am sure, his family’s.

Eaglepath
#26 Posted : 12/10/2019 7:16:25 AM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

OneIsEros wrote:
Eaglepath wrote:
seagull wrote:

This is one of those cases where the “yeah, but, what is like, ‘self’, man?” thing is problematic.

There’s a Pali sutta where the Buddha pointedly reminds his followers that they are responsible for the consensus-reality level of their personal identities. Don’t get cheeky. He walked out on his wife and son. It was intense. This sort of thinking is generally used to justify atrocity wherever it arises in Buddhist history.

I realize what you have said is just goofy rather than ominous - but if you want to understand this, I advise against a goofy form of reflection - or at least reflect on the deep reasons why such superficiality is not a liberated understanding. The Buddha did not take suffering lightly - including, I am sure, his family’s.

If you want to keep on playing with these buddhistic toys then you need to follow the non judging rule.. Look how judging you areSmile Telling me its goofy and that I need to reflect.. Look at your mind patterns that make you write this.. Getting high in the endorphins when you playing with these words..Smile

Eaglepath
#27 Posted : 12/10/2019 7:18:55 AM

seagull wrote:
Eaglepath wrote:
seagull wrote:

Hi brother,

I don't think it is worth leaving behind a relationship that i have spend so much time and effort into. Especially if nothing is out of the ordinary.

I know its probably more exciting to live the bachelors life and all but i think its nice and easy to be settled as well. It makes life so comfortable..

Im not sure if a comfortable will help me make me grow as a person but i know that ditching people without reason also doesn't make me grow as well.

I just wanted to provoke your mind a little bit with what I wrote..Smile

Make you examine the I.. And also examine space and distance.. Also what is time.. What is effort.. Who are the other.. And what is an relationship.. What is comfort.. Do you need to choose this or that?

OneIsEros
#28 Posted : 12/10/2019 8:25:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Eaglepath wrote:
Look at your mind patterns that make you write this..

Compassion. Any time Buddhism appears to be interpreting the doctrine of non-self in a way that makes light of compassion, be on your guard. This is the entry way for imperialism, sexual predation, and other hallmarks of those who neglect attention to the first noble truth and the spirit of vow.

Cactus Man
#29 Posted : 12/10/2019 1:56:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If he did regret it he would not have been "enlightened" (as was claimed) because that decision to leave them was prerequisite to his journey into "enlightenment".

If he truly did regret having orchestrated the circumstances which led to his "enlightenment" than that would imply that he felt he had lost something so significant that it actually mentally/spiritually hindered him, and if that was the case he wouldnt be able to become "enlightened".

The buddha was about giving up attachments, including those to his own family.

Do you regret you have to give your money to buy food?

Do you regret you have to burn gas to power a car?

Do you regret you have to work in order to live?

I dont.

FranLover
#30 Posted : 12/10/2019 6:45:39 PM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Gautama's happiness could harm no one and no thing, because his heart is as pure as the cleanest water from the freshest stream, as pure as the eyes of a newborn.
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

seagull
#31 Posted : 7/18/2020 12:22:21 AM

Hello world!

i want to come back to this topic because i think its a very fair point ACY is trying to make.
Its not so much about the Mother and Baby that Buddha left behind, but rather his responsibilities.
Its also fair to say that he has the right to make the decision ofcourse. However, it does give an effect. Its important that we remember that every action has a qoncequence.

The flip side of the coin is that, Budha became enlightend shortly after sitting down at the famous lotus tree (others might say at a river). The point is that Buddha longed for enlightenment and nobody can take that away. I think its courages that he took that step, however hard it was for him.
And im proud to see he achieved his goals.

We wont forget what he done, but we can forgive and move on Smile
You&Iverse

PREV12