We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Making a f254 indicator Options

Creachemist
#1 Posted : 11/16/2019 10:52:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dear chemists,

I want to make my own f254 indicator so i can make TLC plates. After some help and some digging i found that zinc silicate is probably the best option but they say silicic acid:zinc salt 1:2 manganese doped.

So what i want to know is, can a chemist or someone with the knowledge give me a bit more than just these vieuw words i scowerd over the internet but because of all the variations of zinc silicate is it pretty hard the find some good information.

Thank you VERY much if you can help me!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 11/16/2019 11:08:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I'd make a solution of zinc nitrate and add a drop or two of manganese nitrate (or make it in situ by a suitable reduction of potassium permanganate) per mol of zinc. (Without specific data on the amount of manganese required you might have to experiment a bit to optimise things. There must be some old publication somewhere with a paper on this exact matter.) Then you just drop in sodium silicate solution according to the appropriate stoichiometry, allow to settle overnight, filter, wash, and dry in the oven. A small amount should go quite a long way.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli