We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
When to use heptane? Options

Electric Kool-Aid
#1 Posted : 2/5/2012 7:08:01 AM

Explorer, Creative and Curious

I just got me a container of Bestine heptane. When is it used?
I am leaving it open to ideas. I would like to know how to use it.
Doing STB for now. I read about how to use it but not many teks call for it.
Done: THC - LSD - MESC - MDMA - Shrooms - DMT / Want:Hyperspace travel - World Peace
Respect, intention, meditation, inhalation, observation, analyzation, respect.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Electric Kool-Aid
#2 Posted : 2/5/2012 9:14:11 AM

I am talking about MHRB only.
Heptane is used for extracting DMT from MHRB mix through pulls, and rechrystalizing DMT for purity.
So if say I have used Naphtha on a mix, can I try to get whats left off the top and pour in Heptane?
Anyone used it? Is Heptane the good stuff? I heard you have to use it quickly or you will get impurities.
Someone did a STB extraction and mixed the lye and water really quickly and then added the MHRB quickly while it was still hot and then mixed by shaking it and then pulled and got almost all of the DMT in one pull and a bit in the next.
Any insight on this, please let me know!
Done: THC - LSD - MESC - MDMA - Shrooms - DMT / Want:Hyperspace travel - World Peace

smokerx
#3 Posted : 2/5/2012 9:48:19 AM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

I also like to hear experience with heptane. Will heptane pull more spice then naphtha ? I hear rex is definitely better with heptane.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 2/5/2012 12:00:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Naphtha is usually a mixture of aliphatic hydrocarbons with around 5-8 carbons, like pentane, hexane, heptane, octane, and their isomers. Heptane should be more or less the same to use as naphtha. I think you could basically consider them equivalent.

Maybe naphtha, depending on what hydrocarbons are in the mix, will dissolve DMT a little better but maybe also it will dissolve impurities a little better, so its good as the normal solvent used in an extraction, while heptane or hexane by themselves would in this case be a bit more 'selective', so be better for the recrystallization. That being said, Ive used hexane/heptane for extractions, and it worked fine. Just have your mimosa well powdered, do at least 5 pulls, and the last two pulls make them for longer, over a whole day or more and with occasional thorough mixing, and warm them up, so that you get a decent yield. If you freeze precipitate, pre-evap till a quarter of the amount is left and freeze.

smokerx
#5 Posted : 2/5/2012 3:20:33 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

Thank you for the info
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

Electric Kool-Aid
#6 Posted : 2/5/2012 6:11:04 PM

Endlessness - Thank you! Same amount is used in pulls as naphtha, right? I heard some like naphtha because it pulls more "other stuff" and heptane pulls just white spice. Then others say purer is better. I guess the advantage might be with heptane you won't have to re-x it.
I didnt think you had to pre evaporate to 25% then put in the freezer. I knew if you pulled too much naphtha, then yes. Learn learn learn... I will get this!
Thanks a bunch eh!

VisualAnemia
#7 Posted : 2/5/2012 6:41:45 PM

Chalgren

I've only used heptane and it works fine, however people extracting with naphtha does seem to have a significant larger yield and according to David Barlow (who's tek I've followed); "Heptane is less suitable for initial extraction from basified MHRB as it gives only two-thirds the yield of naphtha"

Now this information is of course controversial as to what the "yield" is assumed to consist of; As Endlessness mentioned there may be a larger amount of impurities etc., by using heptane alone I've never needed to further purify my product which in turn saves time and effort.

My main issue is to come over good naphtha and that's also the main reason of why I'm solely using heptane as my solvent.

However, from experience I've personally come to see that the two-thirds rule is seemingly accurate, the problem is the MHRB's alkaloid (specifically DMT ofc) percentage, whether it's 0.5% or 1% makes a huge difference but since most naphtha users get 1% I assume my .6-.7% is spot on when using heptane as the only solvent.
Mad, bad and dangerous to know.

There's magic out there!

666PsYcHoNaUt
#8 Posted : 11/12/2019 1:49:12 PM

Helping Keep the Evil Alive

I actually just decided to try heptane for my fifth pull on 100g mhrb using the gordo Tek method, and I was surprised at how it went. I was expecting the evap time to be much faster than with Naptha, and in the end it turned out to be close to the same. I used 150g heptane as directed, and after 7 minutes of the warm stirring only about 10% had evaporated. Reduction before freeze took around 50 minutes, close to what 100g of Naptha typically takes. Yeild is currently drying, it looks pretty small but again this is the fifth pull on this bark. Crystals are lovely white, but all of my extractions using this method with Naptha have been almost pure white. I'm definitely curious if the effects of the heptane extracted spice will vary at all. 🤔
"Take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole goes..."

TalkingGarden
#9 Posted : 11/12/2019 5:19:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

using gordo tek I have always got about the same with either heptane or naphtha

666PsYcHoNaUt
#10 Posted : 11/13/2019 2:02:43 PM

Helping Keep the Evil Alive

TalkingGarden wrote:
using gordo tek I have always got about the same with either heptane or naphtha

This is pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to, it seems these two solvents work pretty much the same. The heptane seemed to dry a bit faster in the end but the yeild seems to be right on, actually this is the highest yeild I have had on the fifth pull, as it came in right at 200mg, which puts me at 1.6% return on this particular batch of bark (100g), and I imagine I can get at least another 100mg. I'll also add that this bark is from a different vendor than I've used the first few times, and it's been quite giving! It's also lovely to work with, very easy to stir and the yeild again has been quite nice. 👾
"Take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole goes..."