We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sartre HPPD seeing lobsters? Options

Woolmer
#1 Posted : 10/10/2019 1:00:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sartre once took a large dose of mescaline and said that for months later he constantly saw this group of lobsters/crabs following him around. I was wondering if this is really possible. Does HPPD reach a visual perception change that is so intense? He often mentions lobsters/crabs randomly in his novels but I always wondered if his experience was a bit over exaggerated.

Here's an article on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/...eekinreview/15grist.html

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Thrasymachus
#2 Posted : 10/26/2019 6:51:37 AM

Extreme seductiveness is at the boundary of horror

Sartre was a hack anyway. Being and Nothingness is fundamentally flawed and reads like an attempt to recapture the tradition of phenomenology with a well intentioned misreading.

Sartre was always a better playwright then philosopher.

My two cents.

As to the validity of the possibility: yes. I would add that Sartre's symptoms were mild as compared to those you might read around the web. Interesting none the least.
The metaphysical comfort--with which, I am suggesting even now, every true tragedy leaves us--that life is at the bottom of things, despite all the changes of appearances, indestructibly powerful and pleasurable--this comfort appears in incarnate clarity in the chorus of the satyrs, a chorus of natural beings who live ineradicably, as it were, behind all civilization and remain eternally the same, despite the changes of generations and of the history of nations.
--Nietzsche

Ontology has it backwards. “This ‘saying to the Other’ — this relationship with the Other as interlocutor, this relation with an existent — precedes all ontology; it is the ultimate relation in Being”
--Levinas