We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Mushroom tea storage Options

dithyramb
#1 Posted : 9/16/2019 2:55:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My experiences have led me to believe that medicine made from the freshest material possible is the best... So I prefer to make a tea from plants/fungi soon after I harvest them. I don't have any experience with mushrooms though. I plan to make a big harvest of libs this fall. If I made a tea from them, how long would it keep...? İf it has a tendency to go bad in less than a few months, I could consider combining it with syrian rue, which is antibacterial + antifungal and keeps for a long time. Thank you.

The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Loveall
#2 Posted : 9/16/2019 5:18:32 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Magic mushrooms active compounds degrade in water over time (there is a paper studying the effects of light on psiloc(yb)in that reported good storage for a week in a cold and dark fridge).

High % ethanol tinctures (75-95%) work for many. Some add vitamin C to the tinctures to try to avoid oxydation (not sure if this is needed though). Since light can be damaging many use amber bottles for storage. Cheers and good luck.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

dithyramb
#3 Posted : 9/16/2019 11:22:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, could psilocybin and psilocin really be that different from DMT in this regard? I was thinking more of the tea going rancid rather than degradation of actives...

That's a pity...

Cheers, Loveall. Thank you.
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

dithyramb
#4 Posted : 10/16/2019 5:24:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Loveall, do you have a link to that study? I wonder if any degrading of psilocybin is caused by the tea going bad from not having enough antibacterial + antifungal protection, and having other components from the mushrooms that is potential bacteria/fungus food solved in the tea..?

You mentioned the effect of light, but something needs to be clarified here: Psilocybin and psilocin are said to be of very different stability, psilocin being more prone to degradation while psilocybin is said to be "remarkably stable."

The mushroom that I am studying is P. semilanceata which has only traces of psilocin, and good amounts of psilocybin and baeocystin. I would be really happy to see that the latter two compounds can be stored in water without breaking down when boiled, and that they keep for long periods of time when boiled together with rue which has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Ultimately, I am looking into using this mushroom as a component of an "ayahuasca analogue," which is why I also need it to stand long periods of boiling.

The spirit of this mushroom is absolutely remarkable, somewhat like Chacruna but deeper, more friendly, and more heart opening... Exquisitely beautiful.

I will conduct an experiment and report back soon.

~ Pablo Amaringo

Grey Fox
#5 Posted : 10/16/2019 5:37:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Most plant based teas should be able to be stored in the freezer for long amounts of time without much loss. OP I like your approach of making tea from the freshest plant material. Then what is not immediately used can go right into the freezer and stay fresh for a long time (at least several months, no problem).

Not sure about mushroom tea though.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

doubledog
#6 Posted : 10/16/2019 5:53:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

P.semilanceata are known to not degrade much when dried and stored, which is in contrast to cubensis or any woodlover species I have tried.
But I have never tried to store mushroom tea.
However, I would advise to store mushrooms in a freezer as a dried powder well pressed into some container to minimize presence of air.

dithyramb
#7 Posted : 10/18/2019 2:08:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Gray Fox and doubledog!

So here is an update... Yesterday I boiled 32 mushrooms with 10g rue and some russian olive. Total boiling time was about one and a half hours, with multiple pulls. This morning I drank half of it. And the effect, the spirit presence was strong! So the alkaloids appear to survive boiling...

I will drink the rest in a few weeks to test how well it preserves, but I am pretty sure that the rue will protect the alkaloids.

İf this method is preferable for the Liberty cap spirit, I will give it time and observation to understand.

With gratitude

🙏⚡🏞️🌈

~ Pablo Amaringo

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 10/18/2019 5:01:33 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Stick your brew in the freezer!!

It will be foul if you leave it in the refrigerator for "a few weeks"!!

Otherwise you need to add ethanol of as high proof as possible to bring the concentration in the brew up to 20% ABV, if you don't have a freezer.

Attached is a picture of some mushroom (Grifola frondosa) tea, unrefrigerated for 4 days
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
foul soup.jpg (73kb) downloaded 107 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Grey Fox
#9 Posted : 10/18/2019 5:16:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just from a food safety perspective the freezer is much safer compared to storage in the fridge. And the nice thing about frozen tea is that if you transfer it to the fridge a couple of days before you want to consume it then it will be back to liquid form and ready to go.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

endlessness
#10 Posted : 10/18/2019 5:19:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just keep it in the freezer, I put it in some pot with warm water and thaw a couple of doses which I'll take, then I just pour that off into a container to drink, and put the rest which is still frozen back in the freezer

Grey Fox
#11 Posted : 10/18/2019 5:22:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you have space in the freezer then another option is to store individual doses separately. Empty 500ml water bottles work great for that. That way you dont have to defrost the whole batch each time or melt off a portion of it.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

dithyramb
#12 Posted : 10/18/2019 7:15:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, the message is clear: Freeze! I get that freezing is mandatory for pure mushroom tea. I am willing to risk losing the rest of my brew just to see if rue is a good preserving medium, potentially reaching a novel discovery.

Neither my syrian rue teas nor my russian olive bark teas have gone bad in a few months in room temperature (now I brew them together). Apparently tannins are also good preservatives, found in RO bark. So lets see how this turns out...

~ Pablo Amaringo

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 10/18/2019 7:50:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I had a sneaking suspicion that was what you had in mind!

If you're willing to make that small sacrifice (which is a bit of a shame for libs), then it's up to you. I'd still be very wary of any invisible contamination - perhaps you could put half in the freezer as a control case?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

dithyramb
#14 Posted : 10/18/2019 8:26:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Half of the remaining brew would be about 2.5g if rue with 8 mushrooms... I guess that could be a strong dose if the original potency is well preserved. BTW, 3 days ago I had ingested the same amount as today (5g rue with 16 mushrooms), not as a tea but eating the rue seeds and freshly picked mushrooms. The strength blew me away, and somehow todays experience was not so phenomenonal. Visionary and immersive, but foggy at the same time. Tolerance could be a factor, as well as possible loss of strength with drying and tea preparation... Diet/preparation is another factor - I ejaculated yesterday and this factor proved to significantly affect my rue + dmt plant experiences. Much more experience is required to clarify this topic.

~ Pablo Amaringo

infinitynlove
#15 Posted : 10/21/2019 6:25:45 AM

Mushroom Explorer

If you want to store your mushrooms long term, for years, making blue honey is a great option!

Dry your shrooms cracker dry and grind up, mix them in a jar of slightly warm honey (to make it less viscus), you do not want to have any water in the mushrooms when adding them to the honey, this causes the water content of the honey to rise, often making the honey go bad and encouraging crystallisation of the honey.

Cracker dry shroom powder mixed into the honey, or get an empty jar, put in your powder and pour in honey and stir.

Kept in a dark cool place with a tight lid and they will last for decades.

Peace

Inf <3
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

dithyramb
#16 Posted : 10/21/2019 12:04:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey infinitynlove, I've been looking up honey as a preserving method for mushrooms. There is conflicting information on whether the alkaloids should dissolve into the honey or not. İt seems your recipe intends for creating a homogenous medicine as the mushrooms are to be powdered. Would it be sufficient to pour just enough honey to cover the mushroom material?

Cheers <3

~ Pablo Amaringo

infinitynlove
#17 Posted : 10/21/2019 4:06:51 PM

Mushroom Explorer

dithyramb wrote:
Hey infinitynlove, I've been looking up honey as a preserving method for mushrooms. There is conflicting information on whether the alkaloids should dissolve into the honey or not. İt seems your recipe intends for creating a homogenous medicine as the mushrooms are to be powdered. Would it be sufficient to pour just enough honey to cover the mushroom material?

Cheers <3

hi

Some people say that the mushrooms should be steamed to prevent an enzyme from degrading the psilocybin / psilocin. I do not think this is absolutely necessary, if done correctly it may extend their life but if done wrong it could could cause a significant drop in potency.

The main cause of degradation and loss of potency is oxygen, water and light in that order.

In my exp if you dry them cracker dry, powder them in a nut grinder (makes super fine powder) then mix them very well in honey, they stay just as potent as when first dried, for years, decades even.

You could just pour the honey on them whole as as long as they are super dry and honey covers them entirely that would be fine.

Blue honey works, and it works really well. If long term storage is your goal it is the ultimate method in my option / experience.

If someone knows of a better method for long term storage, i want to know it!

inf <3
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

dithyramb
#18 Posted : 10/22/2019 5:25:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot infinitynlove, you got me signed up. Does the honey really turn blue or change color at all with libs? And does oxygen and light affect libs as much as other psilos, assuming libs to have a negligible amount of psilocin?

~ Pablo Amaringo

infinitynlove
#19 Posted : 10/23/2019 5:52:37 AM

Mushroom Explorer

dithyramb wrote:
Thanks a lot infinitynlove, you got me signed up. Does the honey really turn blue or change color at all with libs? And does oxygen and light affect libs as much as other psilos, assuming libs to have a negligible amount of psilocin?

You are more than welcome brother.

Good question, with libs, hrm, probably not that much, but it will turn slightly blue after some time, as they do contain a very small amount of psilocin, if you stir it up every now and then, it may turn blue'er or more blue over time, but with liberty caps, do not expect too much blue color to come through, with cubensis it will turn deep blue.

o2 and light degrade psilocybin and psilocin, as far as i know, they both degrade at the same rate (I could be wrong) so as far as I know they will degrade at almost exactly the same rate as any other psilocybin / psilocin containing mushrooms.

inf <3

twitchy
#20 Posted : 10/23/2019 7:28:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

infinitynlove wrote:
If you want to store your mushrooms long term, for years, making blue honey is a great option!

Dry your shrooms cracker dry and grind up, mix them in a jar of slightly warm honey (to make it less viscus), you do not want to have any water in the mushrooms when adding them to the honey, this causes the water content of the honey to rise, often making the honey go bad and encouraging crystallisation of the honey.

Cracker dry shroom powder mixed into the honey, or get an empty jar, put in your powder and pour in honey and stir.

Kept in a dark cool place with a tight lid and they will last for decades.

Peace

Inf <3

I second the honey recommendation, it works. Like he said, cracker dry though and I'd recommend some local single source honey just for quality's sake, most store bought honey is blended and some of it isn't even pure honey.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

12NEXT