We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT on beta blockers? It becomes amplified 2-3 fold, From Rick Straussman himself Options

collection
#1 Posted : 12/28/2012 4:32:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, this is my first post, I've been lurking these forums for a while and reading and absorbing so many quality posts and topics posted by this great community and every so often a hit of nostalgia of knowing exactly what that poster is talking about will hit me and will light a smile on my face and warm up my mood.

I decided to create a user account to ask this question, and and actually be a member of this community; has anyone ever tried DMT on beta blockers?

If any of you have read the spirit molecule you might have read the interesting reports about beta blockers

Rick_Strassman Well, I can't really give medical advise. But, we did do a study using pindolol, a beta-blocker, which is sometimes used for high blood pressure. It actually ended up magnifying the effects of DMT by a factor of 2-3 times. The thing about most beta-blockers is that they also block one of the serotonin receptors, called the "1A" site. Most tryptamines activate this site, which actually turns out to be an "inhibitory" site. That is, if you block an inhibitory site, which the 1A site is, then effects of DMT and other psychedelics are more powerful. We got into some dicey territory with pindolol.

I've smoked DMT countless times and I'd say at this point if its not from the machine or a nice bong, at a music show (or festival), or on LSD its not worth it or boring for me, a message I've already received, after all I smoke the spice to answer questions I've always had.

I know most of you probably don't snort DMT, but I feel it is one of the most intense ways to do DMT. It is also not worth it if you don't insuffulate over 100mg of the spice. It begins to hit you in 30 seconds or so, and within minutes I remember on my first experience, I was floating above my body, conscious, but without my body. A thought crosses my head as I am floating and everything begins to become more multi-dimensional than I had ever known. A thought crosses my head - Am I dead? As soon as that thought crosses my head, my entire life, up to that exact moment flashes before my eyes - its almost too much. The one thing that kept me from freaking out as this was happening was a mothers voice, as if from the back of my head going "its okay, its alright... just... let go." And then I did. I let go. I let go and immediately I come back from my life flashing before my eyes to a figure, a light, a being, I don't know...
In one instant and eternal moment, this being or light or whatever it was communicated to me, perhaps telepathically, every single human emotion possible. Love, hate, empathy, jealousy, everything. It was beautiful this light, this being, it almost looked mechanical. It was so intense, so amazing and beautiful I remember I started crying. As I wept at the majestic beauty i slowly began to come down and regain my body. As I looked at my hands as if it was the first time I looked at my hands, the music that was playing in the background was so beautiful. This was the first time I felt I had truly "done" dmt. Truly had I experienced complete and utter ego death, and I learned for the first time to let go. And it is when everything is taken from you and you're given all of it back that you realize whats truly important to you in life. This experience forever changed my life.

This experience was without beta blockers, the dosage was about 130-140mg DMT insuffulated

A year later I had been given beta blockers for having trouble speaking in front of crowds, they are quite easy to get from a doctor, my friend got some just by asking for it. The beta blocker that I was given was called Propanalol.

A friend of mine had randomly decided to try beta blockers and dmt together and he had a profound trip - he saw the world end (metaphorically i'm assuming sine we're all still alive). He told me of his trip and it shook me up, this was in early 2011 and I thought hey "if he gets to see the world end, why shouldnt I?"

So, I decided to try DMT on beta blockers.

Now I've taken a lot of shrooms (not too huge a fan), a LOT of LSD, enough to make me feel like i was disintegrating in the sands of time for years and years and years, and enough to make me freak out to the point where I needed a full 2mg klonapin just to stop the intense fear, and another one just to calm down. But never, have I ever, tripped so hard in my life.

I don't know if I will ever blow DMT on beta blockers again, but here is my account

I took maybe two beta blockers and insuffulated 150mgs of DMT.
A couple minutes into the trip I'm thinking, hey this is pretty normal to a regular DMT trip insuffulated, the feeling of losing my body, the multi-dimensional space the feeling as if I was on a table or bed experiencing something. But then. Blast, off. I felt like I was on an elevator shaft that was just jutted into space at the speed of light. Now I was no longer in a multi-dimensional area, now I felt like I was 2 dimensional colors and every time I tried to think of the concept of "me," of "I," these colors (which was all I was) would shift around as to prevent me of thinking of myself. I then came back sort of. I was back in my room, back on my bed, and I had a glass of water next to me - all I could think was "I feel like im melting I need some water." As I grabbed for the cup, my body failed on me and I fell down onto my lap and there I realized that it was too late for water, that I had to let go. And so I did. I let go and started to feel the information seep into me and I uttered the word "wow" once but it went on in my head for what felt like eternity. The next thing i know is I am flying through space and visiting planets and aliens, climbing buildings and mountains and creating cities with just the power of my mind.
After this joy ride through the universe I was in what felt like a room. I was in this room and one by one, people that I know would open a closed door and enter that room and take me places or show me things. My closest friends and roommate came in one at a time and had a different part to play. The closer they were to me the further they would take me, when I saw my father it took me to the city he had worked in all his life to provide for me and my family and I could feel the tremendous experience of his life. When my mother entered the room i could feel her pouring love into my soul and existence. My one friend entered and took me to music shows and shoed me how to rage out to music.
The one thing that was common about all the people I saw, was that everybody had this knowing smile on their face. It was almost a mocking smile, but no, more closer to that of a inside joke. Like I was searching for the answer to the most important question and everybody had the smile like they knew the answer. But the other thing was the look in their eyes was a look of deep understanding and also as if they were joking with me. One by one everybody came and went and suddenly started coming back but it felt as if I was speaking in my head, a BOOMING voice. The voice said two things and repeated them over and over "it was you all along" and "love is the answer"

I realized the question I had in my head was what is it all about? and the answer is love. I realized the purpose of life was to share and experience love.
As I came back, I turned on my light but realized I was still tripping slightly, this trip had actually shooken me up. I looked at my wall and tried to move it with my mind to see if I still had the powers that i had on the trip, but hah alas no.

This trip felt like months if not years if not an eternity. I don't know if I'll ever insuffulate DMT on beta blockers again, but I might try smoking it on beta blockers.

Well there is my trip report, just wondering if anybody else has had the luck to try DMT on beta blockers.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

cyb
#2 Posted : 12/28/2012 4:51:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

When you say 'insufflated' the spice...surely you don't mean freebase?!?
That would mean pain beyond belief...not something to recommend to the uninitiated...Thumbs down

What was your method?

Welcome on board the Nexus..Wink
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

collection
#3 Posted : 12/28/2012 4:57:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

yes unfortunately I mean't free base. It was from a lye/naptha extraction tek, although highly decanted to the point where it was pure white. It stings like hell for about 15 seconds and then you are just gone, but when you come back you can still feel the stinging in your nose.

If you can find some lidocaine it will really help and just numb up your nose as to not feel the pain of freebased insuffulated spice.

If not, as I said, It really stings, but only for a few moments.

wearepeople
#4 Posted : 12/28/2012 5:27:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for sharing. That sounds like quite the journey.

Love,
Wearepeople
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

jamie
#5 Posted : 12/28/2012 7:10:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

it sounds like maybe you have a high tolerance to DMT.

100mg snuffed is a really large dose. I would not need that much. I have snuffed lots of DMT. I have heard of some other people breaking through with 40-50mg snuffed as well.
Long live the unwoke.

collection
#6 Posted : 12/28/2012 7:39:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps you're right. Or maybe I just don't feel like I've gotten a true and complete DMT experience if I haven't experience complete loss of ego. Its perhaps because I'm nervous before every time I blast off knowing that the sense of "I" is going to be gone for god knows how long, but also the further I go the more of a spiritual or profound awakening I will have...

Personally, I just don't like having to think "I should have taken more"

I've only insuffulated DMT twice, but smoked it countless times. I am perhaps going to insuffulate it again soon or try an ayuhausca brew, but that takes a lot more preparation - but it is getting harder and harder to find mimosa in the states... Theres so many plants I can make an aya brew from, but the purge sounds messy albeit worth it.

Also I don't know if I want to even do an ayuhausca brew and try it myself instead of actually going to an actual ritual ceremony...

collection
#7 Posted : 12/29/2012 1:11:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

It was WAY more intense, like a lot longer but it was different from regular DMT. On regular spice I sometimes start crying at how profound a message I gained, on beta blockers it was more of a message being engraved in my head. It was a lot more intense.
If you do end up trying it please report back, I would really like to know

jamie
#8 Posted : 12/29/2012 1:36:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

collection wrote:
Perhaps you're right. Or maybe I just don't feel like I've gotten a true and complete DMT experience if I haven't experience complete loss of ego. Its perhaps because I'm nervous before every time I blast off knowing that the sense of "I" is going to be gone for god knows how long, but also the further I go the more of a spiritual or profound awakening I will have...

Personally, I just don't like having to think "I should have taken more"

I've only insuffulated DMT twice, but smoked it countless times. I am perhaps going to insuffulate it again soon or try an ayuhausca brew, but that takes a lot more preparation - but it is getting harder and harder to find mimosa in the states... Theres so many plants I can make an aya brew from, but the purge sounds messy albeit worth it.

Also I don't know if I want to even do an ayuhausca brew and try it myself instead of actually going to an actual ritual ceremony...

Try snuffing 5-15mg harmalas before you snuff the DMT..or take the harmalas sublingual before. The synergy the DMT enough to be noticable.
Long live the unwoke.

corpus callosum
#9 Posted : 12/29/2012 1:12:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

collection wrote:

Rick_Strassman Well, I can't really give medical advise. But, we did do a study using pindolol, a beta-blocker, which is sometimes used for high blood pressure. It actually ended up magnifying the effects of DMT by a factor of 2-3 times. The thing about most beta-blockers is that they also block one of the serotonin receptors, called the "1A" site. Most tryptamines activate this site, which actually turns out to be an "inhibitory" site. That is, if you block an inhibitory site, which the 1A site is, then effects of DMT and other psychedelics are more powerful. We got into some dicey territory with pindolol.

Interesting stuff! Smile

There are important differences between the various beta-blockers, an example of which is their lipophilicity. Pindolol and propranolol are both lipophilic in contrast to atenolol which is hydrophilic.The latter is less likely to cause CNS effects than pindolol/propranolol.

Pindolol and propranolol do have moderate affinity for the 5HT1a receptor which is located both pre- and post-synaptically.Under normal circumstances, activity at a serotonin-utilising synapse causes release of serotonin, its passage into the synaptic cleft followed by its action on the post-synaptic 5HT receptors.Some serotonin also acts on the pre-synaptic 5HT1a receptors and forms a local negative feedback loop causing the release of serotonin from this neurone to be reduced.So, an agonist at this receptor subtype at its pre-synaptic location puts a brake on the amount of synaptic ativity.It follows that antagonism of this pre-synaptic 5HT1a receptor (eg by pindolol) reduces this 'braking' effect thereby increasing synaptic transmission.Prevention of a preventor equals facilitation.

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Ryusaki
#10 Posted : 12/29/2012 1:51:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I brought my mother into a ceremony, she had high blood pressure and took Beta Blocker. The shaman told her she cannot take the medicine because of the beta blocker.
Just be careful.

collection
#11 Posted : 12/29/2012 2:02:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

G wrote:
collection wrote:
It was WAY more intense, like a lot longer but it was different from regular DMT. On regular spice I sometimes start crying at how profound a message I gained, on beta blockers it was more of a message being engraved in my head. It was a lot more intense.
If you do end up trying it please report back, I would really like to know

Neat. Smile
Did the beta blockers reduce the physical effects of DMT such as racing heart?

yep it was a lot more calm in a way even though the trip itself was wayyyy more intense

collection
#12 Posted : 12/30/2012 11:58:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

G wrote:
Hella sweet. I think the phsycial effects of dmt cause mental anxiety which holds me back from fully letting go. A few Inderal beforehand might make a world of difference. Thanks for the valuable info Collection. Imma try it out.

please do post back on how it affects the trip

Iic400
#13 Posted : 6/10/2014 12:17:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I know this is an old topic, but there isn't very much information about beta-blockers w/ DMT. I have smoked the spice atleast a hundred times. I don't believe I have ever not been on a beta-blocker before smoking. The beta-blocker I use is metropolol. I cannot say for sure if it effects the trip in any way, but I know I hallucinate hardcore on doses that my friends can barely feel, and I do not have any trouble having a breakthrough smoking spice.

Keep in mind that I am also extremely light weight and typically get higher/drunker than others. I did my research regarding safety before combining a beta blocker with spice, but never thought it could enhance the trip, so I never tried DMT alone to see if there was a difference. Unfortunately I am out of spice and do not intend on any more extractions so I guess I will never know.

DreaMTripper
#14 Posted : 6/10/2014 9:12:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I didnt experience any potentiation just less physical fight or flight reactions.
This is my trip report from a while back..
Well my freind decided to smoke some in the early hours of this morning to feed off the christmas spirit and he reports it was intensely pleasurable and intriguing. He told me this,
Quote:
Within 5 seconds of exhaling I had the sense of conflict in the body, this i believe was the adrenaline counteracting properties of the beta blocker I had taken earlier on. It was almost like the dmt had been suprised by this blockade as all i could think was simply betablocker, betablocker. I dont believe it takes anything away from the trip, it hasnt before with any other tryptamine or psycedelic, in fact it makes it a gentler ride as the heart doesnt go into overdrive the betablocker ensures this. 10-20 seconds in i had hit the 'plane' and my brain felt completely turned on and my body was encased in a warm comfortable glow.
I for a second resisted but then realised this wasnt the way so i submitted my entire being to the dimitri and was then in awe at the immense array of colours and shapes I was swimming in.
Although no entities were seen a guide was present, female and oriental young and pretty beckoning me down the multicoloured pixelated but highly defined tunnel (seen with open and closed eyes the same), unfortnately I didnt get to see what was on the other side of the tunnel, syrian rue may be the way to do that maybe? Or just a bigger dose. This left me with an impression that women and indeed people from the likes of Japan and China and other far east countries have a more advanced conciousness, wether this is true or not I dont know but thats the feeling I get.
He sais he doesnt remember much else due to being a bit drunk other than odd weebly people and a jester of sorts..
The alcohol sort of made it more of a 'light show' as such but still was left with some intriguing thoughts and ideas. I can always appreciate the amazing creative powers of the mind and the simple beauty present in the colours of the CEV so the 'light show' was fine with me! Very happy Thats the beauty of DMT, it shows you so much and is just a great catalyst for gretaer awareness and higher conciousness. O yeah he also smoked some Blue Lotus beforehand that seemed to smooth out the launch.

twitchy
#15 Posted : 10/17/2019 8:52:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
collection wrote:

Interesting stuff! Smile

There are important differences between the various beta-blockers, an example of which is their lipophilicity. Pindolol and propranolol are both lipophilic in contrast to atenolol which is hydrophilic.The latter is less likely to cause CNS effects than pindolol/propranolol.

Pindolol and propranolol do have moderate affinity for the 5HT1a receptor which is located both pre- and post-synaptically.Under normal circumstances, activity at a serotonin-utilising synapse causes release of serotonin, its passage into the synaptic cleft followed by its action on the post-synaptic 5HT receptors.Some serotonin also acts on the pre-synaptic 5HT1a receptors and forms a local negative feedback loop causing the release of serotonin from this neurone to be reduced.So, an agonist at this receptor subtype at its pre-synaptic location puts a brake on the amount of synaptic ativity.It follows that antagonism of this pre-synaptic 5HT1a receptor (eg by pindolol) reduces this 'braking' effect thereby increasing synaptic transmission.Prevention of a preventor equals facilitation.

I was just google searching for information on Propanalol and this old thread on the nexus came up Big grin , seems like I recall reading that it can counteract harmalas but I wasn't sure if this was referring to the MAOI activity or something else. I take a moderate dosage of the Beta blocker, but it's an ER formulation and am a little concerned about interaction with a harmala RIMA, and if it does render harmalas useless... Any information would be great! Potentiation sounds great, no fear, but I'm more of a brew man myself.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

King Tryptamine
#16 Posted : 10/17/2019 10:38:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum, if you're still around, fine work sir. twitchy, as always, great work. Reigniting an old but very interesting pharmacological thread. It appears propranolol functions as a weak antagonist at the 5-HT1A receptor. If what corpus callosum said was correct in that it shows affinity towards the auto-receptor of the 5-HT1A protein. This mechanism would result in the net increase of serotonin in the synapse, provided that the GPCR is located on a serotinergic neuron, thereby increasing saturation of the post-synaptic GPCRs of the 5-HT subfamily and others including the 1A, 2A and 2C (psychedelic receptors) eliciting an agonist response. It is interesting to note that activation of the post-synaptic 1A receptor via 5-HT is responsible for some of the positive effects associated by SRAs such as MDMA. Also the activation of 5-HT2A receptors via serotonin is associated with effects opposite to the 1A subtype like depression. Due to the resulting increase in synaptic serotonin via propranolol, the addition of a delicious harmala brew (also a big fan) would only result in further increases in synaptic 5-HT concentrations. This effect when taking DMT, would in my untested hypothesis only result in a more serotinergic vibe which we Nexiuns have come to know and love and not inhibit the MAOI response in any way that I can see from my CRAPPY/UNQUALIFIED pharmacological point of view.

Edit: Just realized corpus is still active so hopefully the guy/lady will correct me if I went wrong. KT - Twisted Evil

twitchy
#17 Posted : 10/18/2019 3:31:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was surprised to see the nexus come up in the search results for the medication, once it did it really got me to wondering about the interaction, especially since I'm taking an extended release form of propanalol.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.