We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
High PH water and glass Options

Xstacy
#1 Posted : 4/25/2009 8:41:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM knows people have suggested pyrex quality jars and the like, but if someone where to use just a jar that once held a product with vinegar and cucumbers, would that glass eventually break due to stress from having basic water in it? Should SWIM just eat more pickles?

SWIM read somewhere that it has to be a certain type of glass, where would it be shown if the glass is of the right strength or quality?
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 4/25/2009 9:29:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldnt store a solution with too high ph in a glass for long.. Also wouldnt use the same containers for many extractions.. (just being safe)

but these normal type of jars are usually strong enough for a quick day extraction. SWIM always mixed did his extraction in these typical big glass pots of about 3l that some people put noodles or rice or whatever... He did all the pulls and threw it out the same day, and did this a couple of times.. if one does a few hundred grams of mimosa in an extraction, its enough dmt for personal use for a really long time.

Xstacy
#3 Posted : 4/25/2009 11:31:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM left his jars with bark + ph water for days at a time... no ill effects but SWIM was worried about using them again etc. Mayhap swim should invest in perm glassware.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

burnt
#4 Posted : 4/26/2009 12:58:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Nothing wrong with using pickle jars and such. Personally SWIM prefers lab glassware but many things will suffice. I don't see how base could destroy average glass.

Xstacy
#5 Posted : 4/27/2009 2:09:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Nothing wrong with using pickle jars and such. Personally SWIM prefers lab glassware but many things will suffice. I don't see how base could destroy average glass.

Would a flask with a rubber stopper work? SWIM doesnt just end over end, but shakes the hell out of his water + bark. SWIM has not used lab grade in year, but SWIM knows when a lid on a jar is tight shut.

Xstacy
#6 Posted : 5/2/2009 12:22:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Disaster!

SWIM's fears came to be today as a jar broke, spilling spice, water and solvent. SWIM had just removed jar from about 120 degree water. Was this SWIM's mistake? SWIM's work area smells of a lovely vinegar fragrance to neutralize the basic water.

Xstacy
#7 Posted : 5/2/2009 12:52:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A wurm attack cost me SWIM's harvester? The wurm wanted SWIM's spice ><

burnt
#8 Posted : 5/2/2009 3:36:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rapidly changing temperature of glass even quality lab glass ware is always risky. Must always be aware of dramatic temperature changes. Good thing though is if you do it once and scare the shit out of yourself blowing up glass and spilling chemicals all over is that next time you'll pay more attention Wink

Xstacy
#9 Posted : 5/2/2009 3:38:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

75 to 100-120 is drastic enough to break it?

burnt
#10 Posted : 5/2/2009 4:03:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you talking about C or F? .

I was thinking more along the lines of going from room temperature to 100 degree C in a few seconds.

It does vary with the type of glass however. Pyrex can handle quite a bit of temp change.

Either way if you picked the glass out of the water and it shattered after a few seconds it was most likely the temperature change and nothing to do with the base.

Quote:
Would a flask with a rubber stopper work? SWIM doesnt just end over end, but shakes the hell out of his water + bark. SWIM has not used lab grade in year, but SWIM knows when a lid on a jar is tight shut.

I am not sure what you mean here but covering a flask inhibiting air exchange will cause a pressure build up if heated and shaken with organic solvents.

Xstacy
#11 Posted : 5/2/2009 4:19:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

edit - def F.
Oh SWIM wanted you to know he meant that he did not want basic water coming out of the top whilst he vigorously shook said flask. SWIM has had no problems with pressure during his shakin and bake'n.

benzyme
#12 Posted : 12/27/2009 3:41:25 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

mombreast wrote:

Maybe chemists in labs know that using it for minutes or an hour to be safe.

yep.

it's a non-issue
basic solution is typically prepared, not stored.

aqueous waste gets disposed of in carboys.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck