We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV234
Bitterness taste testing Options

pete666
#61 Posted : 9/16/2019 7:07:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

coAsTal wrote:
We know that stress/age is a huge influencer on M levels.

In fact not as much. There is a lot of rumour about how stressing is increasing the alkaloids within cacti, but not real evidence. The only seemingly working way how to increase alkaloid content is leaving the cacti in the darkness for few months. The dormancy period might do the same, as would be indicated by my numbers.

I don't believe any other form of stressing is increasing alkaloid content, so am not planning to do any tests in that area.

The same is for the correlation of the age of the cactus and the potency. Rumours but not real evidence.
Someone says the bottom part is stronger, someone the upper part (here we have some data provided by An1cca). Maybe the growth from the same season is more potent in the upper part of the cactus, but when we are comparing two parts of the cactus from two periods divided by dormancy, the bottom part is more potent.
In worse scenario, every cactus is different and we can't generalize.

Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

pete666
#62 Posted : 9/16/2019 7:59:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have added sample #99 - The Koehres peruvianus grown on pereskiopsis
pete666 attached the following image(s):
BitternessTestsResults.jpg (57kb) downloaded 188 time(s).
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

downwardsfromzero
#63 Posted : 9/17/2019 10:09:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Interesting graph - the most subjectively bitter cactus had the lowest alkaloid content! And the second and third most potent in terms of neutralisable substances were only 0.8 on the bitterness scale.

It appears to be the case that some cacti produce a very bitter substance that is not an alkaloid, which makes me think that some kind of test for non-alkaloidal bitter substances would be useful. Unfortunately the range of non-alkaloidal bitter substances is large and diverse. My best guesses for where to start looking in this respect would be some kind of iridoid glycoside, or a diterpene.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

pete666
#64 Posted : 9/18/2019 6:35:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Whatever is causing the bitterness, now it seems to me that bitterness can hardly be used as a reliable indicator of potency.
- #99 shows strong bitterness doesn't mean high alkaloid levels
- #121 shows no bitterness doesn't mean lack of alkaloids
- and yes #14 and #288 show low bitterness doesn't mean low potency. Though 4.34 and 4.07 mg/g*10 are not very high values

Maybe for some interesting levels like 1 mg/g and more there is some minimal usual bitternes but my cactuses don't reach such values, so it is just an assumption.

pete666
#65 Posted : 9/27/2019 2:10:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

We have some new information regarding the correlation of bitterness and potency. This story seems to get to its (bitter) end.

«PREV234