We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using a 250-500 liter stainless steel tank/barrel instead of 1l jars for mycelium possible? Options

justB612
#1 Posted : 9/22/2019 10:54:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Basically title.

Everything the same. Vermiculite, rice flour, distilled water let's say 250 liters of them all together. Same ratio. In a stainless steel barrel. Closed, heated for sterilization.

Put some holes in it. Use fire on the needle, and alcoholic sponge for safe injection without contamination.

Use some kind of cotton for gas exchange but contamination defense.

Would this theoretically work lol ?
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 9/22/2019 11:00:28 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

well, yeah..
as long as there is fuel/substrate, air exchange, and optimal moisture.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

justB612
#3 Posted : 9/22/2019 11:27:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Might be we get into trouble. We might use rye since it's cheaper, and distilled water. I'm not sure how the water will sort out though. That is a lot of rye and a lot of water, the pressure might turn the bottom half of it too mushy for the mycelium to grow.

Not sure what I could use there in this case, that would make room for the mycelium to grow and also survive the heat when we sterilize it ....

Might be the pressure isn't as harsh though and the mycelium can grow there also.
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 9/23/2019 9:04:00 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Air exchange to the interior would be the issue with that kind of bulk.

Sterilisation would also be difficult because of the time it takes the heat to get to the interior.

Perhaps this could be solved be having a rotating horizontal barrel, but using a smaller amount of substrate would be technically easier.

Heating a sealed 250L barrel if it is not constructed as a pressure vessel is very likely to be dangerous, so you would have to think very carefully before trying to adapt it as a giant pressure cooker/autoclave, as implied by this part of the OP:
Quote:
In a stainless steel barrel. Closed, heated for sterilization.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

sauSage
#5 Posted : 9/24/2019 5:57:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
well, yeah..
as long as there is fuel/substrate, air exchange, and optimal moisture.

yah but then you can't see anything to know if it's growing, contaminated, etc.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

PsyDuckmonkey
#6 Posted : 11/12/2019 9:59:48 PM

witch

Lol. There do exist industrial technologies for growing mycelium in immense quantities, but they are not upscaled versions of a BRF jar, similar to how an elephant is not an upscaled version of a shrewmouse (its close relative btw).
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

Jega
#7 Posted : 11/13/2019 12:43:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No offence OP, but I would argue this falls under the intent of the forum rule "No commercial-scaled extractions and reckless “spreading”"

I think this could potentially draw the kind of attention this site doesn't need.

null24
#8 Posted : 11/13/2019 2:51:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

It sounds like you are talking about a PF tek style shroom grow????
Umm sure, but it would take a very long time to colonize. We used to use pint jars but switched to half pints because it takes much less time for a fully colonized cake.

If I misunderstood your incredibly vague post and demand for info, well, too bad.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*