We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rule of thumb for basing an A/B? Options

Tony6Strings
#1 Posted : 9/21/2019 8:26:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello all. I'm considering doing an acid/base extraction, up to this point I've been a straight to base guy. The rule of thumb for basing a STB as I have come to understand it is one gram sodium hydroxide per one gram bark. From the teks I've read it appears an A/B takes less lye. Is there a general rule? How much NaOH per hundred grams of bark worth of solution? Thanks kindly.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 9/21/2019 9:49:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The interesting thing about extracting DMT is that the solution itself is like a pH indicator. So add lye till the whole thing is black, then add a bit more just for good measure, and you're good to go

Specially in STB extractions people recommend excess lye not because you need to freebase DMT, you need way less lye for that, but because the lye helps break down the plant material and further release the DMT. Since with A/B the plant material has been previously removed from the solution, it is not necessary to add so much. That being said, adding more then necessary doesnt hurt, so dont worry about overshooting. And if everythinh turned black, you wont be undershooting, so you're fine.

Sorry I cant give exact numbers

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 9/21/2019 10:32:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks endlessness.
olympus mon wrote:

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

benzyme
#4 Posted : 9/21/2019 4:58:01 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

(assuming single pKa) the rule of thumb for A/B: compound's pKa +/- 2 = >99.9% basified/salted.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Tony6Strings
#5 Posted : 9/21/2019 6:08:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
(assuming single pKa) the rule of thumb for A/B: compound's pKa +/- 2 = >99.9% basified/salted.

Thanks benz. I am reading about pKa and pH.
olympus mon wrote:

Jees
#6 Posted : 9/21/2019 6:35:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Something that might limit to adding lye excessively:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=945326#post945326

endlessness
#7 Posted : 9/21/2019 7:53:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Jees, I wasn´t aware. I never ran into this problem though. Do you think viscosity necessarily = problematic layer separation?

Jees
#8 Posted : 9/21/2019 10:18:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi endlessness,
endlessness wrote:
Thanks for bringing that to our attention Jees, I wasn´t aware. I never ran into this problem though. Do you think viscosity necessarily = problematic layer separation?
If we take Cyb's salt tek as a reference it end with 700ml volume with 50gr lye for 50gr bark. It's max 7% lye strength end not going to suffer elevated viscosity problems. More a theoretical than practical concern in that regard. Yet I ran into it once and diluting was the only chance to recover.
If it wasn't lye's viscosity rising as the thickening boogieman, at least the whole acted as such.

endlessness
#9 Posted : 9/22/2019 2:26:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Jees Smile

Jees
#10 Posted : 9/22/2019 6:05:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Checked it out in a test tube with 25ml naphtha + 25ml water and recording settling times.
Then increasing caustic content in the water. Taking average over 3 shakes.

mol NaOh ---- settling time in seconds
0 (water) ---- 7 - 8
1 ------------ 4 - 5
2 ------------ 5
3 ------------ 6 - 7
from here on the caustic visually makes the water less liquid, there is affection
8 ------------ 6
now a syrup effect begins to set in.
10 ---------- 6
12 ---------- 7
definitely syrup effect taken place, looks like a thick heavy water.

In this test tube it did not slow down settling times just on the base of the clearly risen viscosity. In case of the other day where too much of lye sabotaged the separation in a brew should be seen as anecdotal and very likely result of probably too less water/bark ratio, making it sensitive for separation problems. It was a STB on mimosa. In the short run I thought that keep poring lye isn't going to solve all problems you might have at hand.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 9/22/2019 6:46:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love your researcher spirit, thanks so much for that Smile

pete666
#12 Posted : 9/22/2019 8:35:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just for the reference ... Freebase percentage AND pH calculator
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

Tony6Strings
#13 Posted : 9/23/2019 4:13:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks all of you very much for your help.
olympus mon wrote:

Alev-Kev
#14 Posted : 9/24/2019 4:24:11 PM

Just a consciousness walking around in a meatsak

Hey Fam, so by far not definitive, but my Hybrid-Hybrid Tek was built trial n error off all of Cyb's work n Trav's BBnG. I found that 75% Sodium Hydroxide was good enough. So 75g to 100g acidified bark. Not a rule, it what I found through many variances. Everything else here is correct to my knowledge. Been awhile out of the loop here... Hope all my Nexians are well!

Peace n Love,
A-K

Tony6Strings
#15 Posted : 9/24/2019 6:36:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@Alev-Kev: Reading the STB teks, I am seeing ratios more to the tune of 1\4 (original Thicklight uses 150 grams NaOH per 500 grams bark) to 1\8 (lextek and marsofold). Remember that we are talking about a complete A/B, not a boil and base or a cybs hybrid. I love those kinds of extractions, my first spice extraction was a Cyb tek and the results changed my life forever. I am trying to expand my skill set a little.
olympus mon wrote: