We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is it possible to purify DMT by sublimation? Options

blue.magic
#1 Posted : 7/7/2018 8:26:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The subject says it all. I wonder wheter vaporized DMT will deposit and form crystals.

I was thinking about a setup with a small beaker with some DMT in it and round bottom flask filled with ice on top.

There will be a thermocouple probe (standard K-type wire probe for TM-902C) stuck between the beaker and the hotplate to control temperature.

Alternative setup: Closed petri dish with DMT and ice-filled beaker on top.

Yet another setup: Erlenmeye flask with DMT and glass cotton plugged in on top.

What do you think? Is this doable?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Camponotus
#2 Posted : 7/9/2018 6:27:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

would work definitely but don‘t know about the setup!
there would probably be a potential loss of some spice according to ron and some impurities may will evap along with the spice and condense with it
there‘s an old thread about it with a similiar setup on the nexus
would be better for seperating dmt from another compound like 5meo if both are nearly pure or something like this
perhaps it would work well for cleaning too but your setup has to be very genious with different stages and temperatures and much complicated stuff and settings... most likely

on the initial question yes it will probably form crystals you can see it in the pipe sometimes
It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it. - Alexander Shulgin

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/9/2018 4:22:42 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

there is wide variability of vaporization temperatures, as polymorphism exists with this compound.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 7/9/2018 5:53:29 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Typically sublimation would be carried out under reduced pressure using a side-arm test tube fitted with a cold finger - preferably with a ground glass joint.

The set up described in the OP:
Quote:
a small beaker with some DMT in it and round bottom flask filled with ice on top.[...]
Alternative setup: Closed petri dish with DMT and ice-filled beaker on top.

would equate to short-path distillation as the temperatures required at normal atmospheric pressure would melt the DMT.

You need to use a vacuum, preferably after purging the apparatus with inert gas.

A couple of pictures are attached.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
sublimator2.JPG (2,974kb) downloaded 269 time(s).
sublimator.jpg (4,513kb) downloaded 267 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

blue.magic
#5 Posted : 7/10/2018 3:06:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. I will try that some day. Unfortunately, I don't have the coldfinger trap or the short-path distillation apparatus. But will try it.

As for the atmosphere: Would dry CO2 suffice?

Camponotus
#6 Posted : 7/11/2018 10:44:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

“At temperatures below 300C, gaseous CO₂ can be considered "inert gas" as is commonplace in the food industry.“

from

Q & A
It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it. - Alexander Shulgin

blue.magic
#7 Posted : 7/12/2018 2:10:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Camponotus wrote:
“At temperatures below 300C, gaseous CO₂ can be considered "inert gas" as is commonplace in the food industry.“

from

Q & A

Thanks for doing the search for me. It's not that I am so lazy - but I run several projects and just postponed my search until having some spare time...

Okay so I imagine running just some reaction to produce (dry) CO2 to flush the apparatus, then run this tiny-scale experiment. No need to get a gas bomb Smile

benzyme
#8 Posted : 7/12/2018 2:22:18 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I’ve tried this 10 years ago with this app, hotplate, an IR thermometer, and a Gast DOA-P104AA. it’s not as straightforward as you’d think.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_0481.JPG (2,012kb) downloaded 229 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 7/13/2018 3:57:08 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

benzyme wrote:
it’s not as straightforward as you’d think.

The low-ish m.p. of DMT doesn't help here, it's likely a pretty stiff vacuum will be needed to get the vaporisation temp. down to a sensible level. This is loads easier with a compound with a more forgiving balance of melting point and vapour pressure, such as caffeine.

Also it's a bit of a trick to have the minimum gap between the crude solid and the condensation resublimation surface without the two solids growing together. At least you (benz) have the proper sublimation head which allows the easier removal of the cold finger. The apparatus depicted in my photos has rather a small aperture through which to be removing the cold finger and will probably require some kind of workaround.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

blue.magic
#10 Posted : 7/15/2018 3:47:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As for the vacuum, something like 100 mbar is still reachable with my lab pump (diaphragm type).

But it seems there are more factors at play and the substance won't cooperate so easily.

I originally though that would be easier as that happened normally in my humbe oil pipe Smile - but the conditions and the deposition rate wasn't ideal of course...

I am bashing my head against the wall now for not going to study chemistry and doing IT instead... feeling like having wasted my life.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 7/15/2018 3:58:25 AM

analytical chemist

there are two known polymorphs. one melts/vaporizes at considerably lower temps than the other...and a simple re-x won't separate them. fractional distillation might, but dmt is dmt, and having a mixture of the polymorphs doesn't make it any less pure.

pub chem lists the b.p. as 60-80C, no mention of reduced pressure.

blue.magic
#12 Posted : 7/21/2018 10:19:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
dmt is dmt

Yep. As long as it is pure, I don't care that much about looks.

The purified DMT would be used for re-x anyway (to grow larger crystal from solution).

Another possible application of such high purity DMT would be a source for a clean fumarate salt for IV application (although I will probably never do this).

benzyme
#13 Posted : 7/22/2018 12:43:18 AM

analytical chemist

one of the intersting aspects I’ve found from reading about Raman spectroscopy is its ability to
elucidate polymorphs. Pehaps I and/or Loveall will be able to investigate this structural phenomenon once we fine-tune the specs.

Trickster
#14 Posted : 9/3/2019 9:02:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

benzyme wrote:
I’ve tried this 10 years ago with this app, hotplate, an IR thermometer, and a Gast DOA-P104AA. it’s not as straightforward as you’d think.

I tried sublimation with the device in picture and 2-stage oil pump delivering 15 microns of vacuum. I ran it for 30-40 min. Not a slightest sign of sublimation. Should I have waited for longer?
Trickster attached the following image(s):
Sublimator.jpg (43kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Trickster
#15 Posted : 9/3/2019 9:16:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

benzyme wrote:
there are two known polymorphs. one melts/vaporizes at considerably lower temps than the other...

Am I right assuming that the boiling point of both polymorfs would be the same? After all liguids are structureless, regardless of the crystalline form they had before being melted.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

benzyme
#16 Posted : 9/3/2019 10:56:26 PM

analytical chemist

thermodynamically speaking, the less sterically-hindered isomorph would melt at a higher m.p., I'm not sure what this translates to as a b.p. range. Every value listed in lit. is at reduced pressure, something like 160C @ 0.6 torr.

Brennendes Wasser
#17 Posted : 9/4/2019 4:04:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I was placing some crystal white Spice from what I believe that it is nearly 100 % pure on a hot plate and started to heat it up, and it started melting at 80 °C Oô. Kind of extremely high regarding other sources.

Also it started to give slight vapor from 144 °C onwards, but no real evaporation still until 160 °C. At least at 165 °C a vaporizer works great with the same spice ...

So in this case that would sound like it being 100 % the higher melting polymorph, but I guess that sounds strange that it is 100 % of this species O:

Ulim
#18 Posted : 9/4/2019 5:42:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If anyone goes further with this we need images of the result.
I know from my vape that you get beautiful patterns of dmt on the glass.

Sublmimation might not work but i dont see why a shortpath wouldnt work. Also just filling it into a long tube then dipping the end into mineral oil at 150c and then collecting the crystals that wander up the flask would be an easy way to do a quick, simple and dirty distillation.

The tube might need a bend in it thought to prevent the dmt from flowing back down.
Ulim attached the following image(s):
reee.jpg (361kb) downloaded 89 time(s).