We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Passiflora incarnata as the MAOI component Options

twitchy
#1 Posted : 7/10/2019 10:09:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know there is, or at least has been, some debate about whether the MAOI properties of Passiflora come solely from the harmala alkaloids or in combination with the flavonoids, but I was wondering if a solid and practical consensus was ever reached as to an effective oral dosage for inhibiting MAO in the gut.
I've read through a lot of relevant material on here and the suggestions seem to range from 200 grams to a kilogram. I got the impression that the kilogram dosage was based on pure mathematics of the harmala content in P. incarnata. 1000 grams seems like a hell of a lot of material and I imagine that much passion vine would put an elephant to sleep long before it inhibited anything. That said, 1000 grams isn't much considering the growth rate though, hell I probably prune that much just trying to keep the vines from choking my other plants out every couple of days.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ferrum
#2 Posted : 8/5/2019 6:15:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used 250 grams dry leaf from incarnata. It is very heavy on the tummy . I've wanted to refine it some but have nt .

I'm sure you can go lower , but I wouldn t go much , I'm a aya vine hardhead well maybe not too hard I like at least 100 gram vine as a starting area generally .

So 250 g passionflower is leaving a lot to be desired for me ....however caerulea passionflower is safe and has higher carboline percentage

So given that you could reduce the weight some .

I feel personally that it gives a better anti depressive effect to any aya like brew but if you don't have a strong stomach or can't refine it then i wouldn't think of letting it appeal to you

And yes a 1000 g of it is a lot of dry leaf

But it does grow fast in a season too

For a northern country vine to grow if you have a little backyard where no one cares I say grow it and use it if you can handle the gastrointestinal angst . And yeah you do prune that much and there are usable compounds in the stems as well

The fruit has as much as approximate 25 percent carboline s if you can them to fruit in some South American species and don't quote me but incarnata may as well. , in fact a popular aya like "wine " has been , and sometime s still is consumed in Brazil that contains passionflower fruit mashed , decanted , and "Jerma" "or hostilis bark added that I'm told tastes so delicious compared to true aya

twitchy
#3 Posted : 8/5/2019 8:45:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if anyone has tried a Manske type extraction on Passiflora teas, or this would even work?
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Ferrum
#4 Posted : 8/6/2019 1:02:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No problem . that's a pretty simple one I'm sure it would help get rid of a lot of material

I'm sure it would work but you're going to get a lot of other compounds too .

Give it a shot and let us know , i have about 400 g of incarnata dried now I suppose I could but lol I'm so damn busy and have other projects . I'm positive it would work incarnata has been extracted before and harmalas isolated from it as early as the 1990s

There is a reference on erowid in the harmala area by three experiments ran with aya , rue and passionflower extracts smoked and it describes just that , the maoi nature of it and general areas of gram threshold s

It's pretty much confirmed and the general consensus and gram area ...myself included seems to be at least for incarnata about 200 to 300 sometimes 400 g dry leaf .

My experiences are with about 250 as I said , but I would go higher if I had to repeat it . I'd prob shoot for min 450 just for the power but threshold is prob 200 to 350 g

grollum
#5 Posted : 8/9/2019 9:15:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I once drank a water extract / tea that I did out of 100g dried incarnata. I had no problems with the stomach and felt a quite strong stoned effect. But I didn't use it in combination so far,so can not speak about that.

One thing I asked myself is if it makes a difference which parts of the plant are used exactly. In general I think the whole plant above the ground is used , dried and drank as a tea.

The tea that I had, had also dried fruit bits in it which made the taste somehow quite strange and not enjoyable. Next time I try to drink only leaves.

Maybe only leaves are easier for the stomach?

I Have big hopes into the passiflora, since it is grow-able in many areas around the world.

twitchy
#6 Posted : 8/9/2019 9:34:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know if it's the case for just P. incarnata, but I I've read that that the MAOI components are most concentrated in the fruits and that at least some of the MAOI properties come from the flavonoids and other compounds. I wonder at what dosage specifically that it would become unsettling or nauseating, or even dangerous? It seems that the MAOI effects, subjectively at least, have been reported to last a couple days after consumption so it may not be entirely a reversible MAOI... but I'm guessing really.

Hell, a common temperate zone ayahuasca combination could be as big as the beginning of a new cultural enlightenment for Western Civilization. Considering our history over the last several hundred years, that may be overly optimistic. Crying or very sad